Min wage increase | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

I forsee a few companies laying employees off, and or moving to offshore production. The only industries that will be left here will be service sector and public.

inreb - I wouldn't put a nominal maximum wage based on a position. What they should do is reduce wages until there is an acceptable ratio of number of employees applying to jobs. Cops/firefighters/teachers for example have thousands of applications the second a position opens up. That indicates there's a serious problem with the level that's being paid. A firefighter friend of mine was chosen amongst 3000 applications the last time he got a promotion. Wages in the public sector should be dialed back until there is lets say 50 applicants per position or some other reasonable number. Furthermore, when a position is grossly overpaid, you attract the worst people which pushes out the best. Paying a teacher $95000 for a position that should be paying $55000 entices people that have no desire or skill dealing with kids to apply for the job. Then these people when they get the job end up with some kind of stress disorder, costing the tax payer even more, because they weren't inherently capable of doing the job. Firefighters are another prime example. All of them want to be firefighters because they think that they'll work 7 days a month, sleep at work, and end up with their picture in the paper because they saved a baby from a burning building and be a hero. All the while starting with a nearly 6 figure salary. So by droves they apply, they aren't capable of being firefighters emotionally, but they want the lifestyle. A few years later, *if* they make the 1 in 3000 cut and actually land a job, they end up with PTSD because pulling a mutilated child out of a car after an accident is not what they were equipped to deal with. If the government paid less, they'd end up getting more.

Companies will be reducing staff / moving-out-of-province due to electricity costs.

Minimum wage increase is part of the Liberal strategy to win votes for the next election.

Automation is coming to fast-food/minimum-wage jobs. How many of you order from the new McD's kiosks?

If they didn't have servants in the third-world, there would be much more unemployment.

This province should model after places like slum India where a yuge army of underpaid slaves props up regular society. Even simple math would indicate a pay raise in low pay service jobs will knock a percentage off of my life savings over the long run. If these people won't subsidize my lifestyle who will? A muslim refugee? Not likely. Personally I like politic. Have many tics.

No. A non-Muslim refugee!!!

I forsee a few companies laying employees off, and or moving to offshore production. The only industries that will be left here will be service sector and public.

inreb - I wouldn't put a nominal maximum wage based on a position. What they should do is reduce wages until there is an acceptable ratio of number of employees applying to jobs. Cops/firefighters/teachers for example have thousands of applications the second a position opens up. That indicates there's a serious problem with the level that's being paid. A firefighter friend of mine was chosen amongst 3000 applications the last time he got a promotion. Wages in the public sector should be dialed back until there is lets say 50 applicants per position or some other reasonable number. Furthermore, when a position is grossly overpaid, you attract the worst people which pushes out the best. Paying a teacher $95000 for a position that should be paying $55000 entices people that have no desire or skill dealing with kids to apply for the job. Then these people when they get the job end up with some kind of stress disorder, costing the tax payer even more, because they weren't inherently capable of doing the job. Firefighters are another prime example. All of them want to be firefighters because they think that they'll work 7 days a month, sleep at work, and end up with their picture in the paper because they saved a baby from a burning building and be a hero. All the while starting with a nearly 6 figure salary. So by droves they apply, they aren't capable of being firefighters emotionally, but they want the lifestyle. A few years later, *if* they make the 1 in 3000 cut and actually land a job, they end up with PTSD because pulling a mutilated child out of a car after an accident is not what they were equipped to deal with. If the government paid less, they'd end up getting more.

Interesting ideas.
It would also seem that they use govt jobs to prop up the economy.

The old days, private sector made more money but the new days public sector seems to make more money when you include ALL their benefits.
And who is going to implement some of your ideas, lol

real-fighter-minimum-wage.jpg

Just substitute the word "California" for "Ontario":

April 27, 2017
By Andrew Solomon

California has been on a minimum wage hike tear. The Golden State’s minimum wage has risen by 29% since 2007. By 2022, just 4.5 years from now, the minimum wage will skyrocket to $15/hr., an additional 30% increase from its current rate, or exactly double its 2007 rate! Since my company is levered to low-end pay scales, that means my gross labor expenditures will have doubled in that short amount of time. Meanwhile, sales certainly have not, nor do I expect they will.

So where exactly will the difference be made up?

Why on the most productive, of course! Since minimum wage hikes are essentially a tax on the productive, that means they come out of everyone else’s pocket who is not at minimum wage level.

At every payroll, just before I submit, I briefly audit the checks to make sure there are no mistakes. While glancing across the screen again this week, I was reminded of this sad truth. As wages have eroded profitability, our company has been forced to stagnate wages for everyone else. Everyone slightly above minimum wage has been on hold for any wage advancements. The only time they now receive a wage increase isn’t because they’re doing a good job, but rather it’s when the state annually raises rates again. We don’t reward productivity any longer. We can’t afford to.

Even more perversely, the owners, myself included, have been forced to take massive wage reductions. We have given ourselves all very expensive haircuts. Not a small trim either. I hear bald is in these days.

Even more perverse than this, we have had to pull credit cards. And worse than that, we have had to go into our retirement accounts and borrow on our 401Ks. Our homes are already leveraged out to the maximum. We are subsidizing with our life’s savings the state’s crazy ideas of how the economy is supposed to work. For them, it’s easy. They just pass a law and then go home and congratulate themselves on what a fine job they did. For the rest of us, as consumers and business owners, we are looking for a way to escape.

This is no hyperbole. We are, in fact, looking – right now – for just that. A way to escape, for good, at least from California, permanently.

I would suggest, if you live here in California, and choose to remain here, you write your senators and send this article to them. I already have many times. It doesn’t appear to do much good, but at least you can, in the end tell them, you told them so.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ge_hikes_.html

Don't have an issue with it, good for them.

Question.....if you currently make $15/hr and the minimum goes up to $15, do you automatically get a raise by the amount of the minimum increase?

Or are you suddenly making minimum wage?

Question.....if you currently make $15/hr and the minimum goes up to $15, do you automatically get a raise by the amount of the minimum increase?

Or are you suddenly making minimum wage?

Not only are you suddenly making minimum wage, that guy who used to cost the business $11.50 is now the reason you won't get a $3.50 raise for a looooong time.

A classic KITH skit...

[video=youtube;msHf2lGCZGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msHf2lGCZGk[/video]

Part of the issue here is that the McDonalds jobs etc used to be part time or temporary jobs and so a small wage was an expectation. Now some of these jobs are people's "careers" and their main source of income. In Canada unemployment isn't as much a problem as underemployment and those people that are underemployed are asking to make a living wage. To change this you're going to have to do some major changes to the way that Canada develops its industry and treats the highly skilled workers as otherwise asking for a minimum wage is going to be a bandaid. In the meantime though you might need a bandaid as the knock on result of this is that many Canadians won't be able to afford anything that's made here which again affects manufacturers. Mind you, with the low Canadian dollar I'm guessing most manufacturers are more than happy to export abroad.

Catch 22, sort of.

Part of the issue here is that the McDonalds jobs etc used to be part time or temporary jobs and so a small wage was an expectation. Now some of these jobs are people's "careers" and their main source of income. In Canada unemployment isn't as much a problem as underemployment and those people that are underemployed are asking to make a living wage. To change this you're going to have to do some major changes to the way that Canada develops its industry and treats the highly skilled workers as otherwise asking for a minimum wage is going to be a bandaid. In the meantime though you might need a bandaid as the knock on result of this is that many Canadians won't be able to afford anything that's made here which again affects manufacturers. Mind you, with the low Canadian dollar I'm guessing most manufacturers are more than happy to export abroad.

Catch 22, sort of.

And we are importing more refugees to compete for the low end jobs that people are need to stay of welfare (welfare = increased taxes for the rest of us)

Stupid people don't realize that the actual minimum wage is $0. When the jobs got cut or replaced by automation due to the increase of min wage, you make nothing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Other stupid people don't realize that wages are only a portion of the cost of doing business but the easiest to manipulate. The government shouldn't have to step in with a minimum wage period except government influence is what creates the financial burden to businesses that hold wages down.

The reforms are mainly going to target the precarious work from agencies I think. Also, let's be real: fast food companies, most of which are foreign owned and who import all their product, add virtually nothing to the economy but bad jobs. They transfer their huge profits out of the country, killing our dollar. Of late they are overcharging for almost everything ($2 for a coke? $6 for a burger? ridiculous) and they pocket the profit. Meanwhile, sign union cards and they close no matter how profitable, because they are huge and they can.

I'm in agreement that there has to be reform. More protection from predatory agencies is needed. I'm not so sure that raising minimum wage is the answer to everything. In any case, you can be sure that Patrick Brown will roll back any labour reforms when he gets elected.

The reforms are mainly going to target the precarious work from agencies I think. Also, let's be real: fast food companies, most of which are foreign owned and who import all their product, add virtually nothing to the economy but bad jobs. They transfer their huge profits out of the country, killing our dollar. Of late they are overcharging for almost everything ($2 for a coke? $6 for a burger? ridiculous) and they pocket the profit. Meanwhile, sign union cards and they close no matter how profitable, because they are huge and they can.

I'm in agreement that there has to be reform. More protection from predatory agencies is needed. I'm not so sure that raising minimum wage is the answer to everything. In any case, you can be sure that Patrick Brown will roll back any labour reforms when he gets elected.

I agree but it should be a stopgap while the slow process of changing what the career landscape looks like in Canada takes place. If there were decent paying jobs for skilled Canadians then they wouldn't be working in lower wages and minimum wages jobs and trying to make those salaries liveable. Then the McJobs would go back to being what they used to be, an add on solution for some or a part time solution for many.

McDonald's employs 80,000 Canadians. They add plenty to the economy, both direct and indirect. It's precisely these kinds of companies which lower the hurdle towards employment at the bottom rungs of the ladder.

Part of the problem is a lot of people have mistaken minimum wage jobs for careers. Because school is hard.

I struggle to find sympathy for grown adults who complain about not being able to make ends meet at their minimum wage no skills required job, but couldn't be bothered to go to school in their late teens or 20's to actually get an education and further themselves. My son went to a 1 year college course for a trade and now makes considerably above minimum wage in his first year, and will have an easy $70K-$100K+ earning potential inside 5-10 years once he gets some experience under his belt.

Sorry, but minimum wage jobs are NOT CAREERS, they are designed to be stepping stones.

If we are going to cross a line between people that bothered to go to school and get an education and people who were too busy partying and "finding themselves" to be bothered with further education, why not just go to $20 instead of $15? Or hell, $30? You can live comfortably off $30/HR, so the cries of "we can't support ourselves" would sure die down, no?

Back
Top Bottom