Min wage increase | Page 18 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

Imagine the utter CHAOS if we had no minimum wage laws? My God. Someone should really look up examples of that in Western governments. They must be horrible places.

Imagine the utter CHAOS if we had no minimum wage laws? My God. Someone should really look up examples of that in Western governments. They must be horrible places.
Oh-I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

That only works if you have very strict union-busting laws. Take a look at the U.S. minimum wage laws by state. Notice the states with no minimum wage also happen to be the worst for standard of living:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-us-states-worst-standard-living/

States with the best standard of living generally have the highest minimum wage. There is no getting around it. Henry Ford was right. Paying workers well increases consumption which increases production.

Yes, infact they are. wait you aid you HAD a business and now no longer? Have you taken your hike yet?

That only works if you have very strict union-busting laws. Take a look at the U.S. minimum wage laws by state. Notice the states with no minimum wage also happen to be the worst for standard of living:

States with the best standard of living generally have the highest minimum wage. There is no getting around it. Henry Ford was right. Paying workers well increases consumption which increases production.
How can you be so incredibly clueless about history?

Last edited:

correlation != causation

Last edited:
Talked to a couple of buddies that are in the mid $20/hr or so....they're over the moon with this decision with increased minimum wage. Exact words "if the lowest guys get the minimum wage bump, that means we also get a bump to make sure we stay. And now we have 3 weeks vacation! yay!" .... Not sure if it'll play out exactly like they expect, but the 3 weeks paid vacation is something I'm cool with (I had that already...4 weeks technically but one is for the Christmas break.

@mimico_polak I'm a gambling man, I'm willing to bet they don't see one additional red cent.
As a side note, I sometimes forget how good I have it. I'm at 5 weeks + 1 day vacation. 4 more years to 6 weeks.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

@mimico_polak I'm a gambling man, I'm willing to bet they don't see one additional red cent.
As a side note, I sometimes forget how good I have it. I'm at 5 weeks + 1 day vacation. 4 more years to 6 weeks.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Apparently the boss has been crying the blues for years....he's closing down...blah blah blah...this might tip him over the edge...who knows. We will see I guess. Hopefully they get their raises.

correlation != causation

You really have your head in the sand if you don't think that there's a very clear correlation to a low standard of living in states that have very low minimum wages. One only needs to look at the standard of living stats and compare them to the minimum wages in many of those states to see that they are correlated.

My wife used to work in Mississippi, and now we have expat family who lives there which is a long story. I've also been there myself for extended periods and "experienced" the state, which happens to have THE lowest standard of living in the USA. You know WHY? Because $7.25/hour and no skilled positions to even strive towards, that's why.

The vicious circle of living in (basically) poverty means that the "get an education and earn a better wage" option isn't there for many people either either for a variety of reasons, and even if you DO get an education there's not a lot of skilled labor positions in the state anyways. Those with higher education goals don't stick around, which basically perpetuates the situation.

Now, I'm not arguing that $15/hour is the be-all-end-all solution either (I'm not totally in support of it here), but there IS some correlation to ones standard of living and earning potential in situations where they are so lopsided comparatively that you can barely subsist.

They key is to find a happy medium (which I think we're at NOW, not at $15/Hr) while still providing the obtainable opportunity to achieve a higher education (which we have), with jobs to provide gainful employment in ones chosen field afterwards - also, unless you decide to become a philosophy major or something else stupid with no real job prospects afterwards, again, we have the employment opportunities here in Ontario/Canada.

You really have your head in the sand if you don't think that there's a very clear correlation to a low standard of living in states that have very low minimum wages. One only needs to look at the standard of living stats and compare them to the minimum wages in many of those states to see that they are correlated.

My wife used to work in Mississippi, and now we have expat family who lives there which is a long story. I've also been there myself for extended periods and "experienced" the state, which happens to have THE lowest standard of living in the USA. You know WHY? Because $7.25/hour and no skilled positions to even strive towards, that's why.
You uh... need a dictionary?

Get an education that is applicable and move then.

Tons of people grow up in small towns. You want a good job? Gotta either invent one or move.

My first job was 3.65/hr working as a rink rat. Then I worked in an IGA, and wage was under 5 bucks per hour. I have a girlfriend who still works there and I think she makes about $25/hour. For slicing deli meat....25/hr! Yeah she has put in time but seriously - it's a slicer!

She made her decisions (poor college choice, poor marriage choice and had two kids). Now she cries it's just not fair. Umm yeah it is.

The fair is where pigs win ribbons

Last edited:

Tons of people grow up in small towns. You want a good job? Gotta either invent one or move.

My first job was 3.65/hr working as a rink rat. Then I worked in an IGA, and wage was under 5 bucks per hour. I have a girlfriend who still works there and I think she makes about $25/hour. For slicing deli meat....25/hr! Yeah she has put in time but seriously - it's a slicer!

She made her decisions (poor college choice, poor marriage choice and had two kids). Now she cries it's just not fair. Umm yeah it is.

Yessssss

Fair. inreb will be mad

You assume that the costs of an education is free and that someone will just pay your rent while you go to college. That is not the case for most people. Also, you can't assume that everyone in society is capable of becoming a civil engineer, business administrator or master electrician. But those lesser people still have to live. They do work that nobody else wants to do and they deserve, not to get paid hugely, but to be paid a living wage.

Nobody is going to get rich making $15 an hour in Toronto where a small 1-bedroom apt is $1300/month. At that wage you're barely living a life, and I agree, if that's not enough for you, find a better way to make a living. Starting a business is the best way out of that hole.

Yeah probably $400 weekly, sounds about right. You can find a place to live (basement, roommates, whatever) for $500-600 realistically, and most of those times utilities will be included. That should leave about $1100/mo. A single person can eat very well for $400/mo, or much less if they're thrifty. That leaves $700. That should be enough to cover transportation, clothing, and movie-nights once in a while. The point is, you're alive and you have food and shelter. And most importantly, you have some motivation to strive for better things. Or not. Just be a bum and work 6 months of the year and collect EI and other social assistance like so many trashy Canadians already do. Whatever.

I sincerely thank you. You have accurately described a friend of mine who makes about the minimum wage. He has paid off his credit card and drives a beater while his sister making 3-4 X his wages was hundreds of thousands in debt and digging deeper. Also, he is Canadian born and bred - a rarity in this category, has some health issues and has been diagnosed with learning disabilities. The most expensive thing we can buy into is attitude.

You assume that the costs of an education is free and that someone will just pay your rent while you go to college. That is not the case for most people. Also, you can't assume that everyone in society is capable of becoming a civil engineer, business administrator or master electrician. But those lesser people still have to live. They do work that nobody else wants to do and they deserve, not to get paid hugely, but to be paid a living wage.

Nobody is going to get rich making $15 an hour in Toronto where a small 1-bedroom apt is $1300/month. At that wage you're barely living a life, and I agree, if that's not enough for you, find a better way to make a living. Starting a business is the best way out of that hole.
A basement apartment is $500-700/mo.

Can anyone push a broom? Because sweeping construction sites pays $16. But that's a dirty job and people would rather pour coffee. That's their choice.

Minimum wage jobs aren't careers. They're meant to be temporary. Everyone always has excuses. It's funny.

Absolutely not. I had a job since 13 and paid for my own education. I couldn't afford rent in Toronto for go to school so ended up in Peterborough where it was affordable.

I'm not saying master anything but stupid **** like being a travel agent in a small town is a dumb idea unless you own said agency.

I can't even afford to live in Toronto, or at least I wouldn't have been able to get where I am if I had decided to live there.

Choices you make affect your outcome.

For the record I'd be ****** to pay someone $25/hr to work in a deli. Even $15 is a lot for a job as a cashier imo. Thankfully I do not employ anyone

70.5% of Canadians are employed by small businesses why does our government keep making it harder and harder for them to stay in business? Just one thing after another. More taxes, higher wages etc etc.

Here's an idea. Lets put all the small businesses out of business, increase government so a very large percent of the population works for them or is in the army, the rest can collect their minimum annual salary for doing nothing and they can drink all day and not have to think about anything while robots do their work. Then we'll segregate everyone by their economic status and/or skin colour. Have a policing force especially for policing your thoughts via the devices in your house. etc. etc. Sounds great...

Back
Top Bottom