Min wage increase | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

Me?
I'm just saying that the money for the increased wages has to come from somewhere. That will be from the price of increased goods.
My wage did not increase by $4/hr, therefore my buying power has decreased.
This increase, imo, will not positively impact the recipients as much as they want us to believe, and will actually have a negative effect on a large number of the population.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

[video=youtube;aIL_Y9g7Tg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIL_Y9g7Tg0[/video]

[video=youtube;aIL_Y9g7Tg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIL_Y9g7Tg0[/video]

Did you find this inspirational or intelligent? I found it to be a terrible talk. Poorly referenced, full of generalities. His main example is a study about a dozen homeless people being given free cash?

And his answer to the main critique of the idea simply being too expensive is absolute nonsense. He quotes an unnamed economist as saying it would cost $175B annually to eradicate poverty in the US. Uh, there are 50 million Americans under the poverty line. $3500/year gets them all out? LOL okay there buddy... :rolleyes:

So we start our new employees at $13 with iirc a $0.50 raise after 90 days and then raises based on hours. I can forsee a freeze on raises until they have reached the required hours of reaching the $15 level. And I predict that to make up for the extra wages being paid out due to the min wage increase, the hours worked required will get increased.

Also, thanks Wynne for raising the cost of everything that I have to buy and decreasing my buying power. But hey, let's turn entry level jobs into careers.
I'm really starting to get ******.

Those that went to school for office administration getting paid ~$15-$18/hr are going to get screwed.

The actual amount the minimum wage hasn't been announced, but I'm going to take a guess at saying it will be at around $13/hr.

In our history in Ontario, it took the 12 years for the minimum wage to increase by $4/hr, and labor unions want to increase it by another $4/hr in one go?

Say goodbye to small businesses and many employees currently working at minimum wage.
People currently working at minimum wage think the proposed increase is a great thing, but don't realize it will also result in cutting down on the number of employees.

Did you find this inspirational or intelligent? I found it to be a terrible talk. Poorly referenced, full of generalities. His main example is a study about a dozen homeless people being given free cash?

And his answer to the main critique of the idea simply being too expensive is absolute nonsense. He quotes an unnamed economist as saying it would cost $175B annually to eradicate poverty in the US. Uh, there are 50 million Americans under the poverty line. $3500/year gets them all out? LOL okay there buddy... :rolleyes:

I've given up on TED talks...A lot of them are pretentious crap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBKX-6Gz6A

“I think one of the most important facts of basic income would be that it’s not only a redistribution of income, but also of power. So the cleaners and bin men would have a lot more bargaining power. If you look at a university, for example, the cleaners will get paid more than the professors, which I think is an entirely good thing. Professors love their jobs, they don’t need additional money for it. The cleaners don’t like their jobs – well, they get rewarded for it!”

~Rutger Bregman

I predict a future oversupply of would be cleaners

Soo, it has been confirmed...

$14/hr on Jan 1st 2018
$15/hr on Jan 1st 2019

Shortly we'll see more screaming by the Liberals about robots taking over jobs. Of course they just improved the business case for this switch.

Shortly we'll see more screaming by the Liberals about robots taking over jobs. Of course they just improved the business case for this switch.

Not before hearing many of those currently working on minimum wage losing their jobs.

Big corporations will likely take the hit, however small businesses will likely downsize resulting in more "I can't find any work".

This is all just a tactic for KW to buy more votes.

The kicker is, once the price of necessities adjust, it's net zero for those on min wage.

Something will even out. Corporations aren't worth a thing if there's no one around that can afford to buy their crap. Liberals aren't going to be too concerned about robots taking jobs as that's a direct result of education and research advancement, something they like. It'll matter if constituents complain because they have lost their jobs though but it will matter to both parties as they can't get elected without their constituents.

I forgot...unless you run a corporation making weapons. Then you actively want to sow the seeds of discontent as it's good for business.

I wonder how many union agreements are now going back to the table, or also getting automatic wage increases to match? I bet a majority of them.

98% of businesses in Canada are classified as "small" under 100 employees. 86% employ fewer than 20. These mandated wage increases are nothing but a wealth transfer from the middle and upper classes down to the lowers. Simple as that.

I didn't actually watch this one all the way through. He did another talk on the same subject. I felt that it might be worth some research and thought for some of us, rather than our programmed knee jerk reactions.

I've given up on TED talks...A lot of them are pretentious crap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBKX-6Gz6A

I like that one. It shows the difference, that polish makes, and that's why people higher up in organizations are spending the corporations big bucks on that type of training. Personally, I'm more interested in the contents of the material, although I'm not sure that the pool of information that we can obtain through research is unpolluted at this time. There seems to be many people dumping their crap into the stream, hoping that it sticks to something.

I didn't actually watch this one all the way through. He did another talk on the same subject. I felt that it might be worth some research and thought for some of us, rather than our programmed knee jerk reactions.

Save yourself the time then because its total garbage. When someone bases an argument for universal basic income on a study of 13 individuals, you really have to question how they earned their way to a speaking stage to begin with.

The simple fact of the matter is this: universal income has never been tested on a large enough scale to learn anything from.

Me?
I'm just saying that the money for the increased wages has to come from somewhere. That will be from the price of increased goods.
My wage did not increase by $4/hr, therefore my buying power has decreased.
This increase, imo, will not positively impact the recipients as much as they want us to believe, and will actually have a negative effect on a large number of the population.

Me? Suckin' the hind tit is a way of life around here and rather than fighting a losing cause I'm always looking for ways to make silver linings from lemonade. You know I'd rather ride a turbocharged Kawasaki rather than a wheezy one lunger and so it goes with my cash flow. Less IS more. The way I see it union construction is something like 10%-15% of the market because labour costs. If the bottom comes up and my wages stagnate technically I'm at a loss but realistically I can live on less money because I live simply and more importantly I have everything I need including zero debt. I will, however, continue to feel for others. Everything is effed up but on a brighter note I've just been made aware that Adolph Hitler was TIME MAN Of The YEAR 1938. That tells me two things right off the hop, Hitler must have been doing something right up to that point(economy) and TIME wasn't part of Jew information highway. Maybe Canada could learn from history. What about Mussolini?

Save yourself the time then because its total garbage. When someone bases an argument for universal basic income on a study of 13 individuals, you really have to question how they earned their way to a speaking stage to begin with.

The simple fact of the matter is this: universal income has never been tested on a large enough scale to learn anything from.

No argument here, it is why more research is needed and why you just don't turn it on for the entire country... Interesting theory, might work, might not.

In contrast Supply Side Economics/Trickle Down Economics has been tried (multiple times) with a sample of hundreds of millions people and it has been proven not to work. Yet it is the backbone of the economic plan for one major party in Canada and of course Trump and the Republicans. Yet people still vote for those pigs believing it will be different this time. Failure of our education system I guess... Einstein had something to say about this and insanity.

As for the min wage increase, as noted before I prefer to just not charge income tax to people working below the "poverty" line, similar outcome for the worker... Instead we give them more money, charge them more taxes on the more money and then have to spend taxpayers money on extra services to help them out. Totally inefficient.

Wynne is just trying to buy votes going into the election. Targeting a sector that tends not to vote (low income adults). This is political strategy at the expen$e of the people of Ontario and nothing more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom