Min wage increase | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
Minimum wage increase. More unions. I usually stay out of the political threads, but it amazes me what people consider solutions these days.
Raise minimum wage and costs have to go up to accommodate. More unions (not arguing whether good or bad) but higher wages to cover dues = increased costs.
smfh
https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...|33938|39186&_ctdigest=7SB1YCLwCnoyoneBlCJxQg

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

This province should model after places like slum India where a yuge army of underpaid slaves props up regular society. Even simple math would indicate a pay raise in low pay service jobs will knock a percentage off of my life savings over the long run. If these people won't subsidize my lifestyle who will? A muslim refugee? Not likely. Personally I like politic. Have many tics.

In my humble opinion everybody is entitled to a fair living wage. If your running a company that cant exist on anything but paid slaves, you may need to restructure your business or close. And I'm a capitalist at heart.

Enjoy your $15 burgers

In my humble opinion everybody is entitled to a fair living wage. If your running a company that cant exist on anything but paid slaves, you may need to restructure your business or close. And I'm a capitalist at heart.
Ok but a minimum wage should be a starting point. And when you have proven yourself at certain markers, say 90 days and 1 year you get raises.
If everyone is paying a handsome min wage, employees have no incentive to stick around or perform. Just move on to the next $15 hour job. The cost of training and turnover can amount to become ridiculous and then you are gonna kill the economy.
Plus if the new guy just got a $2/hour pay bump, then I want mine too. There is a vicious cycle that could be beginning here.
Also, let's say that the cost of everything doesn't increase....imagine me trying to tell my kid to stay in school. "What for dad? I'm gonna make $15 making fries".
Maybe a better regulation would be to put a mandatory ratio of pt to ft employees.
But as I am not an expert on this. I don't have the answers, but I don't think this is the right one.

At my work, you put in the time, you get the wage increases and you can make a decent living. But for some people the $13.50 starting wage sucks. I get that. But when my brother quit his good paying job to become an electrician's apprentice, his starting wage sucked too. But not anymore. Short term pain for long term gain.

@JB - yes of course it's 'short term pain for long term gain'....but no one wants the short term pain because 'it's too hard', 'it's not fair', 'I deserve (I love this word) more'...blah blah blah....I hear from guys making 70k/year (with a work car) that they deserve more...so when I ask them why don't you demand it or go elsewhere...'because it's not that bad' people like to ***** about their current situation because as humans....we are greedy...always wanting more, and never being content. Obviously not everyone.

As for the $15/hr minimum wage, I agree that everyone deserves a living wage, and companies that pay the bare minimum will never have a steady and strong workforce because there's zero loyalty there. Is this the right move...not sure, but I am definitely sure that the unions are salivating at all those extra dues payers coming in the near future...

There are employers who game the system....same as there are employees who screw over the employer...insurer...and everyone they can.

When guys can tell me the rules at work better than actually doing the work...it's a problem.

That's a nice thought but there's no such thing as something for nothing. The minimum wage increase has to come with a rise in unemployment and/or prices.

If it comes with a rise in unemployment, you're effectively stealing money from one person to dole it out to several others. Is this still ethical? I personally don't think so.

Maybe we should experiment with getting rid of minimum wages entirely for a change. Just a thought.

People can't agree on the most basic things. This problem is unsolvable. There are and always will be winners and losers. Try harder, be a winner.

Saying that "everyone deserves a living wage", sounds a lot like everyone is owed a living. It's also red commie bs.

Side note, alot of people that complain about min wage, also work in entry level jobs at companies with world class advancement opportunity programs. If you try hard enough, you can go from fry cook to senior vp.

Side note, alot of people that complain about min wage, also work in entry level jobs at companies with world class advancement opportunity programs. If you try hard enough, you can go from fry cook to senior vp.

But I want it all.... NOW!!!

I like the fact they are doing something about using part time workers and contract workers. Not that I'm part time/contract, I just think how some companies used those positions to screw people out of benefits is pretty scummy. Though I do predict a spike in unemployment after this is put in place.

Not a fan of such a large jump in minimum wage.

awesome news! now the majority of GTAM'ers will be getting a raise!

Shots fired.

I guess my view is a little different as pt at my work get 50% benefits. Afaik that is better than most places.

I just thought of something. There should be a maximum wage for public sector employees. That would help level field. This bs about paying top $ to get the best and brightest should be tested. Ever see a government worker in action? Not exactly pushing the envelope.

People who are against increasing the minimum are fighting to have this stopped. They are gonna say this is gonna screw up the economy, unemployment is will raise etc. But if your members here or have a husband or wife making minimum wage you got to fight for your own economic interest, they don't give really give a crap about you.

Back
Top Bottom