Min wage increase | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

Only 25 days? As directors? And that super in charge of the 4 guys that died got how many years?
At least they got something, but c'mon!
never hearda poor folks in da 'bridge
New reality. All those Maseratis and Ferraris are paid for? I donna thinka so.
(I don't have either.)
I'm one if those shmucks that was too cool for school and didn't use the brains I had (have??)
So yeah, $30 hour looks good to me. I'm not poor, but I sure af am not swimming in it.
That's what ****** me off and made me start this thread. I don't want my kids to follow in my footsteps bc minimum wage is enough to get by as a lifetime thing.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Got me thinking of another thing. Babysitting vs affordable day care.

How much do you pay someone to look after your child? 15/hr?

Is 7Gs affordable? (edit - just realized my math was wrong - more like 30G to take care of kids all day at min wage rates). But still my original question stands. I think minimum wage rates would be expected.

I have an alternative reason for asking as friends are coming to visit from BC and we will require someone to look after their sproglets while the adults play

Last edited:
I'd gladly pay a qualified person $30/hr to watch my kids. Good thing I never need one!

Only 25 days? As directors? And that super in charge of the 4 guys that died got how many years?
At least they got something, but c'mon

If I remember correctly... this was not an actually cherrypicker... but a reach truck half assed modified so they could use it as a cherrypicker.

6b1ac43455a025f6cf0b9a9353b6f099.jpg

I get that the self checkouts are posted for humour, but if a vendor was on the fence, this could be the push they are looking for.

It will be interesting to see if the push back is short lived has legs, Tims has had stores cut employee benefits (offered to let the staff pay for the increase) , several seasonal employers have announced 'doing with less' and a few clients wont be taking on as many new hires.

I think the market should be allowed to set wages, not gov't , but I'm biased.

I get that the self checkouts are posted for humour, but if a vendor was on the fence, this could be the push they are looking for.

It will be interesting to see if the push back is short lived has legs, Tims has had stores cut employee benefits (offered to let the staff pay for the increase) , several seasonal employers have announced 'doing with less' and a few clients wont be taking on as many new hires.

I think the market should be allowed to set wages, not gov't , but I'm biased.

Anyone in the government think about retraining the minimum wage earners for more skilled jobs before making their positions financially nonviable?

My apologies for mentioning government and think in the same sentence.

Sometimes I think Wynne is a reincarnation of Marie Antoinette. If they have no bread let them eat cake has become if they lose their unskilled jobs they can just move onto their skilled jobs.

Anyone in the government think about retraining the minimum wage earners for more skilled jobs before making their positions financially nonviable?

Do you remember when we had fully funded retraining when people on EI hit the payment threshold? late 70's I think. We spent hundreds of millions on training heavy equipment operators (still unemployable, who gives a 300k machine to a guy that used to solder wire looms ) artisan woodworkers, they paid to send an uncle of mine to blacksmithing school......... yeah that was going to be a good idea.

I'm so tired of funding safety nets

HR Canada still has retraining programs and course costs are tax deductible. But if there were more people doing that, then there would be nobody around to do the minimum wage jobs and we'd have the same unscrupulous "employers" crying for foreign worker programs. Pay a decent wage or don't have any employees and do the job yourself. If that doesn't work close your crappy business and go to Mexico. We have enough junk food restaurants already.

I believe the minimum wage increase is just another smoke and mirror tacit by the liberals. One end to spur voters, the other is some inverse tax, collect more off income etc. maybe if they stopped f-iing things up in this province the cost of living wouldn't be skyrocketing.

Also believe this will push more people into more precarious employment as business will have to manage labour costs.

Agreed low end retail positions etc are not careers, supplemental income at best.

Will be interesting to see the fallout on this. Ontario yours to "wonder"

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Liberals right now.

edit: idfk why this came out so small. click on it

quote-a-government-that-robs-peter-to-pay-paul-can-always-depend-on-the-support-of-paul-george-b.jpg

Attachments

• quote-a-government-that-robs-peter-to-pay-paul-can-always-depend-on-the-support-of-paul-george-b.jpg
    quote-a-government-that-robs-peter-to-pay-paul-can-always-depend-on-the-support-of-paul-george-b.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
they paid to send an uncle of mine to blacksmithing school......... yeah that was going to be a good idea.

A good farrier with a regular clientelle can make very, very good money, especially one who can forge specialty shoes.

So don't be so quick to discount certain jobs just because you don't understand them.

A good farrier with a regular clientelle can make very, very good money, especially one who can forge specialty shoes.

So don't be so quick to discount certain jobs just because you don't understand them.

I grew up on a farm and had horses for many years, Dad had a thing for black percherons . One of the crew on my race boat is a certified corrective shoe farrier (operates as Harbor Light Stables) . I have her on the boat since she can grind a winch better than most.

Uncle wanted to be a smith, I understand just fine.

Man it could have been Hitler who said it, I don't care, it's still a good quote.

The flip side of that would be

“A government that allows Peter to take advantage of Paul can always count on the support of Peter”
- Tim Toldnes

Stop thinking so binary. It’s been historically proven that a strong and prosperous middle class is what made the US a superpower.

I don’t agree with how this min wage increase has been implemented but I also don’t agree with full time min wage income not providing enough for a decent standard of living.

I agree every one should be allowed to EARN a living wage. I dont know the numbers , but do know a lot of employers that have the 'second income tier workers' , spouse has an OK job and the spousal extra income just makes things better. They can do flex hrs, 4hrs shifts , whatever, and these jobs just need doing, but could be done by anybody.
I feel these are the highest risk jobs.

Back
Top Bottom