Min wage increase | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

Vastly superior?

How is the service your company provides vastly superior to others?

I deal with numerous companies, big, small and o/o's...

On his fancy union truck they pamper the cargo with essential oils and complimentary massages. Also their skids are made of fine mahogany, and the shrink wrap is GMO free.

Vastly superior?

How is the service your company provides vastly superior to others?

I deal with numerous companies, big, small and o/o's...

Bottom feeder freight companies:

- Stack freight to the roof of the trailer, even stuff that's not supposed to be stacked. A 53' trailer can hold 26 skids on the floor, or a hell of a lot more if you start stacking crap on top of other crap, even when you're damaging freight as a result.

- Don't care about your schedule - a day or three late, who cares, right?

- Lose stuff. Your 5 skid shipment only arrives as a 4 skid shipment, the other one will come out of the woodwork in a week or two after it went to BC by accident, and you'll get (what's left of it) then.

- Pay their drivers crap, and treat them the same, so the drivers really don't have a lot of reasons to try to impress the shipper or receiver.

- Hire inexperienced drivers without adequate training to properly accomplish their job. Skilled labor isn't cheap, and cheap labor isn't skilled.

- Actually deliver their own freight instead of accepting anything and everything but then farming it all out to a third party (and sometimes even a fourth of fifth party through the original third party carrier) and letting them actually deliver it. Every extra step adds the possibility of damage, loss, and delay.

- Put junk equipment on the road that is either unsafe, poorly maintained, or illegal/dangerous because they're not making sufficient profit to allow them to actually maintain their equipment, much less upgrade it.

I could keep going if you want.

Good companies don't do that sort of stuff, but they're also not cheap because they hire highly experienced drivers, pay them a good wage, have good working hours, they're happy and polite to customers, and they have newer well maintained equipment, and then actually deliver most of their own freight instead of just farming it out. And my company boasts one of the lowest claim rates (ie, freight damage) in the Canadian industry as well as around 98% on time service...so your stuff doesn't show up a week late, smashed all to crap.

Too bad a lot of companies don't value quality service, they just want rock bottom pricing, but then get upset when their freight shows up 4 days late, damaged, by someone who can barely back the truck into the door to even unload it, is ignorant and rude because he/she is ****** off, and then on top of it all you find out you're missing a critical piece of your shipment because that 4th level carrier lost it when it came off the 3rd level carriers truck.

On his fancy union truck they pamper the cargo with essential oils and complimentary massages. Also their skids are made of fine mahogany, and the shrink wrap is GMO free.

Your trolling skills are weak. PM Inreb, you need lessons.

Last edited:
All that stuff you named has nothing to do with union vs non union, and everything to do with company management and quality of employees.

I knew you gotta be union

All that stuff you named has nothing to do with union vs non union, and everything to do with company management and quality of employees.

I agree, it has everything to do with the company. I never made my comparison anything to do with unions whatsoever.

There's LOTS of excellent companies and brokers out there, but anyone who has any working knowledge of the industry (armchair GTAM critics who have zero knowledge of the industry aside from seeing a truck on the road one day excluded) will agree that the problem with garbage companies in this industry who depress rates for the GOOD companies, hire zero-skill drivers, pay them poverty wages that often equal <$5.00-$10/hour, and operate garbage and unsafe equipment is a very real issue.

Simply put, the good companies struggle to remain good, while the garbage companies fuddle along padding only one persons pocket in the end - the owner. Everyone else is just a number on the rolodex and replaceable by some other fool with a pulse and a crayon.

Last edited:
Sounds like running your own company and paying refugee drivers $5/hr is the path to riches then.

Sorry, but I don't see your point at all.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app
Sorry if I lost anyone there. But will be an easy explanation. Mainly due to the fact that every customer is charged an annual fee to shop there, in addition to many stores having 40 busy gas pumps to 2 employees, supplementing the fact that each of their long lined cashiers are serving a multi-hundred dollar customer every 60 seconds, a Costco store probably sells pretty close to their annual payroll in a single day. Payroll is probably barely visible on their bottom line, yeah I suppose they can afford to pay a fairly decent wage which is far greater than the average retail rate. Even a Walmart does not have even close to that volume of revenue, let alone small businesses. So, my point is, for the quoted poster to suggest that because Costco pays above average, everybody can do it, is a very poor example. Imagine Joe, if I said hey Joe, Jay Leno is getting a Bugatti Chiron so there's no reason why YOU shouldn't go buy a shiny new purple Chiron. If Jay Leno can afford it, so can you.

Simply put, the good companies struggle to remain good, while the garbage companies fuddle along padding only one persons pocket in the end - the owner. Everyone else is just a number on the rolodex and replaceable by some other fool with a pulse and a crayon.
Let the market decide!

As I always say, a good business can always advertise itself. If you're so confident on what you're doing is so good then you won't have to worry about losing business

Let the market decide!

The market does decide. The industry was deregulated decades ago.

That doesn't mean it's necessarily the best outcome when public safety is potentially at risk as a result - I'm sure many here have heard of the truck safety blitzes where 75% of the trucks inspected are pulled off the road for safety violations, many of them major ones? I might mention these are often targeted (IE, picking trucks that simply LOOK unsafe to actually inspect) so they skew the out-of-service statistics, but it's concerning nonetheless.

Everyone here remember the problem with flying truck tires a decade or so ago that was killing people?

Ever saw truck parts sitting on the highway that fell off a truck in front of you?

Ever heard those news reports of traffic nightmares because some poorly trained truck driver operating unsafe equipment who was rushing rolled over on the 401 somewhere?

Deregulation and "Let the market decide!" is great until people start dying as a result.

If the same "Let the market decide, free for all!" comment was applied to, say, the airline industry, well....would you feel the same?

Jay Leno reminds me of the holocaust, not that funny. Ironically trolling is the new hitler.

Last edited:

That doesn't mean it's necessarily the best outcome when public safety is potentially at risk as a result - I'm sure many here have heard of the truck safety blitzes where 75% of the trucks inspected are pulled off the road for safety violations, many of them major ones? I might mention these are often targeted (IE, picking trucks that simply LOOK unsafe to actually inspect) so they skew the out-of-service statistics, but it's concerning nonetheless.

Everyone here remember the problem with flying truck tires a decade or so ago that was killing people?

Ever saw truck parts sitting on the highway that fell off a truck in front of you?

Ever heard those news reports of traffic nightmares because some poorly trained truck driver operating unsafe equipment who was rushing rolled over on the 401 somewhere?

Deregulation and "Let the market decide!" is great until people start dying as a result.

If the same "Let the market decide, free for all!" comment was applied to, say, the airline industry, well....would you feel the same?
Ministry of Transportation is still responsible for safety enforcement, it has nothing to do with whether or not it's a competitive or free market.

A smart business owner would keep safe equipment. It makes good business sense. Unfortunately there are dummies out there, it's a fact of life.

These people are practically breaking the law by not following ministry safety protocols. Union or not, this would never help this case

That's bananas!

The union bosses are having a party right now I bet..

So we start our new employees at $13 with iirc a $0.50 raise after 90 days and then raises based on hours. I can forsee a freeze on raises until they have reached the required hours of reaching the $15 level. And I predict that to make up for the extra wages being paid out due to the min wage increase, the hours worked required will get increased.

Also, thanks Wynne for raising the cost of everything that I have to buy and decreasing my buying power. But hey, let's turn entry level jobs into careers.
I'm really starting to get ******.?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Wtf??

Back
Top Bottom