McGuinness out of NW200, and likely TT after crash | GTAMotorcycle.com

McGuinness out of NW200, and likely TT after crash

Neil_V

Site Supporter
Big list of fractures and the possibility of a mechanical fault with the new CBR. Can't remember the last time McPint had a big off.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp/john-mcguinness-nw200-crash-leg-back-ribs/

Crashing during the superbike practice at the North West 200 on Thursday, John McGuinness was reported to have suffered a broken right leg. But now getting an update on his condition, we can see that his injuries are far worse than was initially thought.
While Honda Racing has withdrawn from the rest of superstock and superbike races at the North West 200, because of concerns regarding a mechanical issue causing the McGuinness’ crash, these injuries also cast significant doubt over John McGuinness competing in this year’s Isle of Man TT.
As we reported earlier, McGuinness sustained a fracture to his right leg in the crash, which doctors were unable to plate the compound break in surgery, and instead they will be attaching an external fixture to the leg, in order to hold the bones in place.
In addition to his leg injuries, McGuinness broke three of the ribs along his back, and he also fractured four vertebrae in the process.
To treat the latter injury, McGuinness will have to wear a back brace for six weeks. He will remain also at the Royal Victoria Hospital for one week as part of the recuperation process.
While no one has said whether the 23-time TT race winner will be back at this year’s event, it would be hard to see how McGuinness could recover fully enough to race at the TT in two weeks’ time…though motorcycle racers are often a special breed, road racers being even more so.
According to their press release, Honda Racing has received McGuinness’ bike from the North West 200 race organizers, and will be performing a detailed analysis of the bike’s ECU at the team’s headquarters in Louth.
Talk out of the NW200 paddock though suggests that the crash was caused by a mechanical issue with the Honda CBR1000RR, which is a new platform for this year’s road races.
“Unfortunately John’s incident at Primrose Hill during qualifying has resulted in quite a substantial injury to his right Tibia and Fibula. It is a real blow to John and the team, but he’s got an incredible amount of spirit and is in very good hands with the medical staff at the Royal Victoria Hospital,” said Jonny Twelvetrees, Team Manager of Honda Racing.
“We now need to determine what happened and will sit out the Superstock and Superbike races, get back to Louth to analyse John’s bike and re-group ahead of our next test at Castle Combe in a couple of weeks before we head to the Isle of Man.”

Found a photo.. That's a big one..

stream_img.jpg

Poles shmoles small price to pay for glory. Chicks dig these guys. When broken then not so much.

I wonder after this off if he will be done with the TT as well, I don't mean for this year but done completely. He has mentioned in the past he doesn't really want to break Joey's record of wins and this would give him reason enough at his age I would think. Ryan Farquhar didn't make it back from last years NW200 incident for this year and seemed happy enough in the interview I saw to be on the other side of the helmet. So will be interesting to watch and see if that's it for John. Though that would suck if that came true since I hope to be in N Ireland next year to see family and might have timed it around NW 200 and would have been good to see him in the race.

Jeff

If he's truly not interested in the record, now the time. Reality is,a decision to pack it in may not be by choice. 45ish is no spring chicken; it'll be a long road to recovery.

That would be what normal humans, like you or me would do perhaps after a big off. No way he will go like this ... he will be back, at least for TT ...

Martin must regretting the signing, if it was mechanical issue with already behind Honda.

That would be what normal humans, like you or me would do perhaps after a big off. No way he will go like this ... he will be back, at least for TT ...

Martin must regretting the signing, if it was mechanical issue with already behind Honda.

Way to knock the stuffing out of McGuinness, Martin and Honda. I'm with you on this one, sad commentary on the human condition when we send men to the moon but can't build a proper motorbikes or find guys to ride them. I wonder what Paul Sr. is doing right now?

Stoner had the same issue at Suzuka 2 years ago. Honda will get around to fixing the problem eventually lol.

Back
Top Bottom