German Pliers | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

German Pliers

....If truly German engineered, why imperial?

Why do German cars have imperial units in their speedos in the USA?

..Tom

Why do German cars have imperial units in their speedos in the USA?

..Tom

Because law... but find me an imperial bolt

ftr, the first comment wasn't meant to be taken serious

Last edited:
I have/had one at work. No idea if I even still do because I never use it. Not much more useful than an adjustable wrench.

i have a set. I used them for doing a lot of pvc plumbing work.

What makes the knipex ones different is that the notches are coordinated with a certain width for the teeth. A 2" wide fitting fits perfectly square in the jaws. I found them significantly better than channel lock or adjustable, not quite as good as a spanner.

*note* the canadian tire version has notches that are essentually randomly spaced. they do not work well.

not quite as good as a spanner.
Which is why useful on the bike ...one tool for a variety of uses that squares up on the nut....some things have locking nuts that requires two spanners the same size ( my mirrors for instance )
and half my accessories are imperial ....the big key for me is square jaws and some leverage for grip.

spare wrenches both metric and imperial take up more space and less power...important for my sore hands ( carpal tunnel )

Well made vice grips might be an alternative.

if your hands don't have the strength, wouldn't a fixed wrench be better than having to squeeze pliers? Space for more would be an issue, but space I have...unless you're talkin' about on the bike. But for the size of the pliers, it takes up 3-4 box wrenches, no? Just pack the sizes you need.

if your hands don't have the strength, wouldn't a fixed wrench be better than having to squeeze pliers? Space for more would be an issue, but space I have...unless you're talkin' about on the bike. But for the size of the pliers, it takes up 3-4 box wrenches, no? Just pack the sizes you need.

My problem was always something big enough to deal with axle nuts on a long trip. I used to travel with a 1/2" drive ratchet and appropriate socket as it was much smaller than the required wrench. The 10" pliers wrench is smaller and lighter than the box wrenches and ratchet I used to travel with. You may even be able to get away with the 7", I will try in the garage later to see how much torque you can reasonably get out of the 7".

My problem was always something big enough to deal with axle nuts on a long trip. I used to travel with a 1/2" drive ratchet and appropriate socket as it was much smaller than the required wrench. The 10" pliers wrench is smaller and lighter than the box wrenches and ratchet I used to travel with. You may even be able to get away with the 7", I will try in the garage later to see how much torque you can reasonably get out of the 7".

7" is good for about 70 ft-lbs. Not a hint of opening or slipping like an adjustable, but the length of the handles limits how hard you can pull. They may he good for a bit more, but I think they would break if you tried a cheater on them. For bike trips, the larger size is more suitable.

I carry one in my tool belt. It replaced channel-locks and adjustable wrench b/c it can grip/squeeze.
I use "normal" tools from the tool chest when in the garage.
I would only recommend these if you're trying to save weight or space.

Buddy in Australia carries a pair. Looks very useful.

71lvvg3-GyL._SL1500_.jpg

[video=youtube;pUCY9w7Oco0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUCY9w7Oco0[/video]

any comments?

That's a 'Rohrzange' in English a pipe wrench or plumbers wrench ;)

Knipex makes all sorts of pliers. The smooth jawed ones are for plumbing fixtures, IIRC. They are generally a good replacement for vise-grips, channel-locks and adjustables (hold better, cause less damage) when wrestling with rusted/seized fasteners. I don't think I would be using them for vehicle maintenance of any sort, even for trailside stuff.

Add a "vice-grip" lock and we'd have a winner as an accessory tool. I wrench quite a lot - cannot say that I use my adjustable too much as sockets are the way to go. Also, getting at some of the bolts on a bike would not be accessible from the side so you'd still need both if you were carrying at toolkit.

Might not need a clamp lock, looks like it offers around 10:1 clamping force leverage, where regular wrenches would be around 3:1.

Maybe to do something with a plumbing repair.Looks like one size fits none to me.

+1 vicegrips and slip joint pliers I refer to them all as the "one size fits nothing" tool. Stole that line from the late Rick Andrews
+

Back
Top Bottom