Shopping for a 17 Phantom | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shopping for a 17 Phantom

JTR

Does anybody know of a Honda dealer near Hamilton with a 17 Phantom in stock? I know Sturgess doesn't have one around, and when I went into Dewildt today to try and get the one in their showroom, they ignored me. No other customers browsing at all, they weren't busy, just shooting the ****. Completely ignored me like I don't exist, so I decided that the bikes in their showroom are clearly show bikes and not for sale. Now I'm looking to give someone else my business. It'd be nice if the same dealer had cobra pipes in stock to install on it.

Butt hurt and rightfully so. I would pen a stern letter.

Turns out Sturgess just took delivery this week, still in the crate. Might have to pay them a visit tomorrow.

A stern letter? LoL. I think he wants to drive his shiney new Honda into Dewildt and ask them if they're working on commish -

[video=youtube_share;pXdIK1xgfFk]http://youtu.be/pXdIK1xgfFk[/video]

I went into Dewildt today to try and get the one in their showroom, they ignored me. No other customers browsing at all, they weren't busy, just shooting the ****. Completely ignored me like I don't exist

This behavior is so prevalent in bike and car dealerships. It totally baffles me. Anyone here a salesman and can explain it?

This behavior is so prevalent in bike and car dealerships. It totally baffles me. Anyone here a salesman and can explain it?
The salesman that could explain it are the ones that are doing it and they are ignoring your post

Reminds me of the time that Sonny the Bull posted that he went into a BMW dealership ready to buy a S1000RR after riding one on track in Vegas for the weekend. He was in shorts and flip flops. Now I never met him, but pretty sure he has enough $$ to buy one in cash, and he was ignored. So he went outside, jumped in his Lambo and left.
I have dreams like that.
Call it my Pretty Woman dream.
Big mistake
HUGE mistake

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

At the dealership in question it almost feels like if you're not there to buy a boat, you're not a big enough fish... ironically.

probably the sales reps prequalify us as tire kickers and not worth the time. They obviously are making huge wads of money off of "real" customers so they do not need
to spend their valuable time on the unwashed masses.

But as Joe Bass said. Love it when it turns into a "pretty woman" moment. Two recent examples for me.
July 2016 was car shopping. At one Honda dealer in North Vancouver i was checking out a Civic. Was sitting in drivers
seat, a sales rep walks buy and eyes me. But then heads outside to deal with the "real" customers. All he would have had to
say was, any questions? no? ok i will be outside if you do.

i made a point to leave a comment on their google review page telling them about the new 2016 Civic i bought at another dealer because i was
not worthy enough for them.

Late march / early April i was checking out the 2017 Yamaha FZ07. A dealer close to home who i have been going to for years. Asked him for out the door
pricing with my trade. np. will get back to you.

3 weeks later i stopped by this dealer with my shiney new FZ07. I waited 2wks to hear from the salesrep. Never got back to me so i bought the bike at a different dealer
who seemed to want to sell bikes.

Last edited:
There are always going to be people that are offended by too little attention or too much attention. For every gripe post like the one above, there'll be similar one about pushy and aggressive salespeople.

Personally, I don't want an over-attentive salesman looking over my shoulder when I browse. If I want assistance, I'll go to the reception counter and ask for a salesperson to talk to.

people still waste time at dealerships?

If you are like me an know what you want, just do it all through the internet.

I won't step foot into a dealer anymore until I've had correspondance with the a sales guy via email, i'm happy with the numbers, and I'm ready to sign the papers.

My last purchase, instead of driving to a Welland dealership and wasting my time and gas, I had the sales guy text me pictures of the vehicle to make sure it was what I wanted. Then I did the majority of negotiations via email.

When you are ready to go in and sign the papers, believe me, no waiting around looking for a sales guy, they will roll out the red carpet and give you all the attention you need. and of course, when you are ready to buy and you finally see the vehicle and its not what it is or there is something you don't like, walk away.

Another purchase I made 2 years ago, was for a $40k+ vehicle from a dealership in Kitchener, did it all through email and internet. He even brought the vehicle to me and to sign the final papers! This was from a dealer in kitchener, and to this day, I still have no idea where this dealer is located and have never stepped foot in the place.

Did just that with my last bike I bought in 2016. Searched and emailed all Honda dealers in a certain radius for out the door pricing on model and colour I was looking for. Ended up at second closest dealer in Burlington. In and out with paperwork in hand in a half hour. Picked bike up a week and a half later as it was shipped in from Manitoba.

Well 2 weeks ago I wasn't even bike shopping, I stopped in to this dealer looking for gear, and the phantom was sitting near the door looking all outlaw and bad *** with it's blacked out self. After a few minutes of me drooling, my buddy flagged the sales guy and we talked numbers a bit. I said I'm going to run it by my insurance company, crunch some numbers and see how it fits in my budget and come back in if it all works. So I did all of that, and it works, so I went back. I even came Thursday to the ride with us event, just to hear what it sounded like and talk to the Honda rep since I couldn't ride with an M1. Walked in yesterday with my bike gear on, helmet in hand, an obvious rider not just a G holding yuppie dreaming of the open roads anymore. I don't like pushy sales people either, but you always atleast greet a customer when they come in so that they know they've been seen and that you're ready to help.

I'm not out to write negative reviews, I don't yelp at all, I will just move on and support another business when I have a bad experience. This post wasn't so much aimed as a review of the dealer, but more about genuinely asking if anybody had seen another phantom in a showroom somewhere. And I ended up finding one myself.

There are always going to be people that are offended by too little attention or too much attention. For every gripe post like the one above, there'll be similar one about pushy and aggressive salespeople.

Personally, I don't want an over-attentive salesman looking over my shoulder when I browse. If I want assistance, I'll go to the reception counter and ask for a salesperson to talk to.

This. I also get a kick out of people who tell stories about putting their boots up on the salesmans desk and lighting their cigarettes with $1 bills while wearing a ten gallon hat. Albeit these are very old people telling them. Today it's more of a millenial squak.

A lot of this has to do with the dealers culture. The sales reps follow the lead of people in charge and/or their peers and while I don't want to be tripping over sales resp I don't like being ignored either. If I'm just looking I tell them that and if I need assistance I ask for it. If ignored then (and it has happened) I just leave and take my business somewhere else.

A lot of this has to do with the dealers culture. The sales reps follow the lead of people in charge and/or their peers and while I don't want to be tripping over sales resp I don't like being ignored either. If I'm just looking I tell them that and if I need assistance I ask for it. If ignored then (and it has happened) I just leave and take my business somewhere else.

they call it a "showroom" for a reason. when I am shopping for a car, I want to go look, sit and check the car out. then i stroll the lot and check out the other models and colours. the LAST thing I need is a drooling salesman following me around.

We don't really need salesman anymore, we have the internet. Most sales guys will admit customers come in with more knowledge of models, features an options then the sales guy knows himself!

They are only good for when you need to make the final deal as you have no other choice, but at least you have his full attention as he salivates over a sale. If you don't like the way the sale is being handled as happened to me at a dealer in Oakville, just walk away. It's great!

Going to a dealership and being afraid of talking to someone you need to do business with is baffling. It's almost as if they want to have a bad experience. One of the downsides of relying on anonymous forum posts to shape one's worldview, I suppose.

Going to a dealership and being afraid of talking to someone you need to do business with is baffling. It's almost as if they want to have a bad experience. One of the downsides of relying on anonymous forum posts to shape one's worldview, I suppose.
I almost spit out my coffee laughing when I read that bit. Check Lightcycle's signature link. Pretty sure his "worldview" is quite well-rounded.

Back
Top Bottom