Mexican drug violence. What to do? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mexican drug violence. What to do?

Trump wants to crush the Mexican economy? I haven't seen his latest tweets but I'm almost certain he only doesn't want US companies setting up in Mexico and then imorportante back to US.

He wants them all to move back to the US and if not he wants to implement a large tariff to force the issue. What do you think that will do to the Mexican economy, given the US is their largest trading partner? They are doomed if he does what he says, big IF I know.

Trump wants to crush the Mexican economy? I haven't seen his latest tweets but I'm almost certain he only doesn't want US companies setting up in Mexico and then imorportante back to US.

Maybe Democrats don't like jobs? lol

But seriously, maybe Trumpy talks like this as part of the deal, start at the extreme NO and work to what you want out of it.
Didn't Trumpy used to (still do) trash talk China but yet they met with him and seem to be doing business.
Isn't Trumpy trash talking Canada now and then he left NAFTA alone...but probably made a deal for something else that Canada gave him but we do not know about...yet.

Trumpy holds the cards (for now).

Does any of the cartel leaders ever retire alive and/or not in jail?

He wants them all to move back to the US and if not he wants to implement a large tariff to force the issue. What do you think that will do to the Mexican economy, given the US is their largest trading partner? They are doomed if he does what he says, big IF I know.

I was in Saltillo MX a few weeks ago on business (thank you, NAFTA) and judging by what I saw there, the Mexicans don't seem too worried about it. Lots of activity in town, fair bit of construction going on, they're expanding the terminal building at the Saltillo airport.

I was in Saltillo MX a few weeks ago on business (thank you, NAFTA) and judging by what I saw there, the Mexicans don't seem too worried about it. Lots of activity in town, fair bit of construction going on, they're expanding the terminal building at the Saltillo airport.

I read a report on Guatemala a while back. Some inhabitants had become so accustomed to murder that the pictures were shocking. Bodies gunned/hacked down and people going about their business stepping over them. It's amazing what "normal" can be. Not saying that's the case in every Mexican town though.

I read a report on Guatemala a while back. Some inhabitants had become so accustomed to murder that the pictures were shocking. Bodies gunned/hacked down and people going about their business stepping over them. It's amazing what "normal" can be. Not saying that's the case in every Mexican town though.

We had an incident in Mexico once, a guy pulled a pair of scissors on us. Crazy!

Thankfully, I had a rock in my pocket, so I pulled that out and managed to beat him with that. Good thing I wasn't carrying a piece of paper or he would have won.

It is certainly not.

We had an incident in Mexico once, a guy pulled a pair of scissors on us. Crazy!

Thankfully, I had a rock in my pocket, so I pulled that out and managed to beat him with that. Good thing I wasn't carrying a piece of paper or he would have won.

lol...I wasn't suggesting that these countries are to be avoided. The report covered a shootout in a large city and commented on how people didn't seem shocked and that they carried on as normal, there wee shoppers stepping over bodies etc. I've read the same about El Salvador and Honduras too (both of which I've been to, El Salvador several times). In El Salvador not so long back several bus hustlers, (the little kids that call for customers from the cheap buses that ply the highways) were taken away and shot in the head down a small country road. The bus companies they worked for hadn't been paying their extortion money so this was the punishment. For some reason this made me even more sad about the violence in some of these countries as it affects the most innocent at times.

You're in more danger of being killed while out riding to Tim Hortons with your merry gang of bros than you are traveling to Meh-he-co

I watched that vid on Netflix. Your heart just sinks after all the success he had, that he was sold out by his friends and the government. Everyone should watch that video. What's happening there does affect us. We get more people seeking refuge from the violence there, so rather than getting involved in foreign adventures in Africa, we should really be helping to solve the trouble on our own continent.

You're in more danger of being killed while out riding to Tim Hortons with your merry gang of bros than you are traveling to Meh-he-co

I realise that too. Most of the violence in Central America is against nationals of the country. Violence against tourists draws too much attention from the police etc. I travel to Central America at least once, sometimes twice every year, we don't usually stay in hotels and we rent cars etc. Never had an issue except one time in Honduras when I had to duck into a store as I was being followed by a large gang of youths that appeared from nowhere.

I like Mexico. Love the food, love the people. What's been going on there for years is just total tragedy. Look at this...

Mexican who searched for 'disappeared' is killed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-39892553

Journalists, politicians, students, innocent bystanders. No one is immune from this crazy cartel violence. There's obscene profits involved in the drugs business which is obviously the driving force.

So...how does this get resolved? Ideas?

A long time ago, in rigged elections
far, far away....

*cracks fingers and starts typing
on computer...

This started in 1929 when the political party "PRI" took power and held it for 70 years. Yeah, 70 years with the same facking party in power, until they lost it in 2000 to the opposing party "PAN" by a landslide but unfortunately here's where the sh!t hit the fan.

You see, after all those decades of being in power, the PRI did whatever they wanted with the economy, laws, banks, corporations, and yes, drug cartels. For the longest time they held pacts of non-interference with them, government doesn't stick their noses in drug dealings (for an obscene cut of their business, of course) and cartels get a free pass on their illegal activities. No questions asked.

During that time, it was unheard of about drug wars, killings, beheadings, mass graves and all the pretty things these people do for a living. It was a time where it was actually peaceful and safe for the most part, and I have to admit that everyday life was pretty good down there during that time.

When the PRI got defeated and lost power, the new party started to engage in a war to put an end to this and cut off all the deals with the cartels. Obviously this was not taken kindly and the retaliation and fight for power began; cartels did what they do best in order to fight back and the country has been paying for it in blood ever since.

The new party (PAN) stood in power for over a decade and the war against drugs and cartels got into high gear and became the gruesome bloodbath it is today. Fast forward to year 2012 when the PAN got defeated by, guess who... the PRI party in one of the most
obvious, flagrant and shameless rigged presidential elections in México's history.

The current president Peña Nieto is the epitome of corruption, ignorance, collusion, abuse of power, deceit and many other nice adjectives that usually go hand in hand with dictatorship-like leaders.

This guy lacks the proper career path to be sitting at the top; he got there by being supported by very corrupt and heavy long-standing players in politics.

For fack sakes, his political godfather is ex-president Carlos Salinas, one of the most corrupt ever and author of the worst economic crisis in México (this one's another rigged election example).

One of Peña Nieto’s “best” moments was when he held a cabinet meeting in English with foreign officials, in the most broken accent and couldn’t even pronounce infrastructure properly. I mean, this guy is a jackass.

So, not to extend this story any further, how does this get resolved?

No one knows, but one thig is for sure: it won’t happen in a very long time.

As a side note, read this. This guy is shameless:

http://bit.ly/2qxwo1N

Last edited:
far, far away....

on computer...

This started in 1929 when the political party "PRI" took power and held it for 70 years. Yeah, 70 years with the same facking party in power, until they lost it in 2000 to the opposing party "PAN" by a landslide but unfortunately here's where the ***** hit the fan.

You see, after all those decades of being in power, the PRI did whatever they wanted with the economy, laws, banks, corporations, and yes, drug cartels. For the longest time they held pacts of non-interference with them, government doesn't stick their noses in drug dealings (for an obscene cut of their business, of course) and cartels get a free pass on their illegal activities. No questions asked.

During that time, it was unheard of about drug wars, killings, beheadings, mass graves and all the pretty things these people do for a living. It was a time where it was actually peaceful and safe for the most part, and I have to admit that everyday life was pretty good down there during that time.

When the PRI got defeated and lost power, the new party started to engage in a war to put an end to this and cut off all the deals with the cartels. Obviously this was not taken kindly and the retaliation and fight for power began; cartels did what they do best in order to fight back and the country has been paying for it in blood ever since.

The new party (PAN) stood in power for over a decade and the war against drugs and cartels got into high gear and became the gruesome bloodbath it is today. Fast forward to year 2012 when the PAN got defeated by, guess who... the PRI party in one of the most
obvious, flagrant and shameless rigged presidential elections in México's history.

The current president Peña Nieto is the epitome of corruption, ignorance, collusion, abuse of power, deceit and many other nice adjectives that usually go hand in hand with dictatorship-like leaders.

This guy lacks the proper career path to be sitting at the top; he got there by being supported by very corrupt and heavy long-standing players in politics.

For fack sakes, his political godfather is ex-president Carlos Salinas, one of the most corrupt ever and author of the worst economic crisis in México (this one's another rigged election example).

One of Peña Nieto’s “best” moments was when he held a cabinet meeting in English with foreign officials, in the most broken accent and couldn’t even pronounce infrastructure properly. I mean, this guy is a jackass.

tl;dr ...but going by name alone, source seems credible.

I haven't stayed away. It's not in the cartels interest to mess with tourists but there is the occasional incident where a tourist gets caught up in violence.

I've been wondering how you stop this kind of violence though. I'll need to check but I'm not sure if it's worse than Columbia a decade or so ago. In Columbia the violence was quasi political whearas this is totally criminal. Columbia's solution was to allow FARC into the political arena. You can't do that in Mexico, they aren't interested in politics. Vigilante groups have been set up in towns with some success and they have even kept the army and police out (they don't trust any of them, riddled with corruption) but then there have been instances of vigilante groups being corrupted by opposing cartels. The whole thing is lunacy.

Well, right and wrong. We only hear when a canadian tourist gets caught in the action, but this happens much more often than you think.

Also, it's Colombia, not Columbia. No such country

Reminds me of university life.

I see what you did there

Every day life has to continue, people just get used to living like that. Ask them and they will tell you that fear is in the back of their minds every single minute. You go on business, come back here and that's the end of it; just don't feel over confident when you travel because sh!t happens very often down there.

Things haven't got to that point (yet), but pretty nasty stuff happens and it is publicized to no end for all to see. Disgusting and a shame it's done the way it does.

To a certain degree, you're right, but it sucks for all those who go about their day and get in the middle of this sh!t show in Meh-he-co.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
far, far away....

on computer...

This started in 1929 when the political party "PRI" took power and held it for 70 years. Yeah, 70 years with the same facking party in power, until they lost it in 2000 to the opposing party "PAN" by a landslide but unfortunately here's where the ***** hit the fan.

That's interesting. Did the cartels not meddle with the local citizens during this time or was it just not reported?

That's interesting. Did the cartels not meddle with the local citizens during this time or was it just not reported?

Yes they did, but not at the gigantic scale as they do it now.

During that time their interest was mostly in the US market (world's best market place for them) but when the war began, it was only a matter of time for it to spread inside the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As you say, no one knows how it can get resolved but it won't happen for a very long time. Which makes it a bit weird that you'd be so critical of different administrations who are all corrupt and complicit to some degree. Of course they don't have the solution either, but they will never admit that because people seem to believe that they can just vote in a fix for all the problems, so politicians have to pretend they're capable of fixing it.

But they're all human, flawed, and equally vulnerable to corruption. In fact there's a case to be made that accepting bribes and short circuiting justice is better than the alternative, which could implode the country.

But the problem is transnational. There's nothing Mexico can do on its own to fix it. It would require partners in the rest of the world and a lot of very hard work. But look around here at the love people have for cheap Mexican labour and cheap resorts. Do you think there's any other nation that's willing to forgo that to eradicate a problem that doesn't hurt them much?

I blame the international community for much of Mexico's problems. Mainly the US.

Back
Top Bottom