Caliper dust boots | GTAMotorcycle.com

Caliper dust boots

Mike-the-Bike

Really dumb question.

I'm restoring an old GPZ 550 and am in the process of rebuilding the calipers. Is there a simple trick to getting the dust boot installed? I can't get it into the groove in the caliper body.

I did my F800 calipers in the winter an it was simple. Any pointers would be great

TIA

Its a PITA on old bikes. The method I have most success with is...

Once you get the caliper and piston cleaned up install your new piston seal and lube it and the caliper bore up with new brake fluid

Install the dust seal into the groove in the caliper body. Its easy to seat when the piston is not in there

Lube the piston and dust seal up good

Now the tricky part. Set the piston on top of the dust seal and work the lip that sits in the piston groove up over the piston.

Then push the piston into the bore. I like to use a little woodworking clamp that you squeeze to tighten

Before its all the way in, install the lip of the caliper boot into the groove in the piston

Push the piston the whole way in.

Getting the boot over the piston is the only real tricky part. I have a friend who does it dry as he said it grips the piston better and is less prone to slipping off. I prefer it lubed.

I have a friend who does it dry as he said it grips the piston better and is less prone to slipping off. I prefer it lubed.

Maybe if you used a water soluble lube it might save a messy cleanup later ? ;)

I have had good success using a layer of silicon caliper grease on those dust boots.
also a pick helps - just be careful you don't puncture the rubber.

Its a PITA on old bikes. The method I have most success with is...

Once you get the caliper and piston cleaned up install your new piston seal and lube it and the caliper bore up with new brake fluid

Install the dust seal into the groove in the caliper body. Its easy to seat when the piston is not in there

Lube the piston and dust seal up good

Now the tricky part. Set the piston on top of the dust seal and work the lip that sits in the piston groove up over the piston.

Then push the piston into the bore. I like to use a little woodworking clamp that you squeeze to tighten

Before its all the way in, install the lip of the caliper boot into the groove in the piston

Push the piston the whole way in.

Getting the boot over the piston is the only real tricky part. I have a friend who does it dry as he said it grips the piston better and is less prone to slipping off. I prefer it lubed.

You Sir, are a genius. It literarily took 60 seconds per side

Back
Top Bottom