Condo Dwellers - Want to STOP bike thefts? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Condo Dwellers - Want to STOP bike thefts?

My guess is that would be illegal. Fire egress and all that pesky safety stuff y'know...

Yeah, it would definitely have to be interconnected with the fire alarm. It is possible to do restricted exit legally in some situations (for instance costco has all fire doors locked and alarmed, pushing on the crash bar sets off the alarm and the door unlocks in 15 seconds or so).

For an individual that is super concerned about security, my vote is still for a low floor van (eg. transit connect). Bike lives inside. As long as it's plated and not in disrepair, there is little the condo can do to stop you. Theft insurance is still cheaper and better. Sadly some living arrangements are not conducive to keeping nice things.

This is probably the most viable option if you can get by with a two-seat vehicle, or if the other vehicle in the family is the passenger-carrying one. Doesn't require building permits etc, doesn't even require you to ask permission of anyone, doesn't eat up an extra parking space. Cargo van or one-way tinted windows, and no one will even be able to tell what's inside. If you have to use the van for something else, you can just leave the bike in the van right where it is.

Side note: friend of mine got in hot water with the city of Mississauga for having a trailer parked on his driveway (someone in the neighborhood probably complained). Solution: Very cheap decrepit rusted out ugly Ford Econoline that was far, far more of an eyesore than the trailer was. The nosy complainers got what they deserved and there was nothing they could do about it.

Last edited:
My guess is that would be illegal. Fire egress and all that pesky safety stuff y'know...

All you can hope for is to mitigate the chance your bike/car could be stolen. I'm so glad I don't live in a condo.
I don't think I could handle living in such close proximity to so many other humans having to scrounge and scrap for living/storage/working space.

half wall, no venting needed, current fire sprinklers remain

In the end they could at least provide a more secure lot. As of now they are targets and not providing their tenants the security they should be. The higher the theft is in the condos area the lower the prices for sales. Keeping it to a minimum would be in their interests. We should have a condo hit list for what condos get hit the most... Even none riders do not want thieves near there cars and may even view the crime as an act performed by the same ones that would take their car.

You sir get it.
shame the building as crime ridden.

Had a buddy a few years back that used to bring his 300 up into his unit occasionally.
It was small enough to fit into the freight elevator, and down the hallways.

Not sure how the condo management felt about it though.
Thankfully his neighbors were cool and didn't ever say anything.

Funny even here with all riders I read many comments that support the sweeping of bike theft under the rug. Then you wonder why the police do nothing. Sure it would only take a few soccer moms worried about these gangs grabbing up bikes into vans and thinking they could do this to their kid just as fast to spark change. Just because you have insurance do not want to effect your housing market does not make letting crimes go alright. Hence the reason its on the rise. Your really just enabling a low risk high reward crime market.

Victim blaming is not cool. If you are not a victim you have no status in this society.

Well lets all just keep leaning on insurance, let the cops rest and the one committing the crimes profit. Sure it will take one of us getting killed during an altercation or a kid killed during a pursuit before someone says this needs to stop. Your not a victim if you are ok with letting it go because you weighed your options and found it best to just collect your insurance money. Look at the rates, they are going up to. Lose, lose for riders. Win win for the crime

tdB4ocE.gif

Bike thieves lack social skillz. Think of theft insurance as OHIP for the mind. Do you not love your brother?

In the end they could at least provide a more secure lot. As of now they are targets and not providing their tenants the security they should be. The higher the theft is in the condos area the lower the prices for sales. Keeping it to a minimum would be in their interests. We should have a condo hit list for what condos get hit the most... Even none riders do not want thieves near there cars and may even view the crime as an act performed by the same ones that would take their car.

Motorcycles, let along motorcycle thefts, are not even a blip on the condo builders radar. There are no municipal parking requirements for motorcycles, and so little demand that it is not considered in the design. And with the jump of about $200/square foot condo sales prices in the past year, rumours of motorcycle thefts will have no impact on the marketing of a building. Sad, but that's just the reality we live in. Same as trying to buy a nice car with a stick shift. Lots of us still want them, but clearly not enough in the North American market to trouble manufacturers to import them, even when they already make them for other markets.

Sorry to say D, I don't think this will fly as others have said.

I would love to support this and will sign a letter for whatever. However, I can barely get my condo management to hire competent security guards. Hell, I've been one of those guys who stand by the security gate swearing at the guard (she got removed or quit after that, so it worked lol).

Your only choice is a house sadly.

Same as trying to buy a nice car with a stick shift. Lots of us still want them, but clearly not enough in the North American market to trouble manufacturers to import them, even when they already make them for other markets.

How nice? There was a fair number of display cars at the recent autoshow with manual (sporty and otherwise). Friend of mine bought new recently. Sales guy didn't blink when he asked for a manual version. Sure most people want automatics and will flock to self-driving models when available but I think there's enough supply to match demand. Except pickups. I don't think you can buy a full size with stick. Shame as I totally wanted to rumble around Toronto below the speed limit. I think wives force husbands to abandon the joy of clutching.

Building some big concrete room in fhe parking garage will never happen, but what about a small, cheap, steel locker - type storage area? A steel locker, big enough to push a bike into and pull out of, with a locking steel door, bolted to the wall.
Think of a school locker but big enough for a bike. That would be pretty cheap and would deter theft. They could be removed later if not needed. Wouldn't need building permits. There are already companies that make them. I think im onto something here...

Last edited:
Building some big concrete room in fhe parking garage will never happen, but what about a small, cheap, steel locker - type storage area? A steel locker, big enough to push a bike into and pull out of, with a locking steel door, bolted to the wall.
Think of a school locker but big enough for a bike. That would be pretty cheap and would deter theft. They could be removed later if not needed. Wouldn't need building permits. There are already companies that make them. I think im onto something here...

Kinda like this?

[video=youtube;5Z7kZg9WPGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z7kZg9WPGw[/video]

I heard that somewhere before....
Oh yeah post #37! Lol
Great minds and all that...
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=2496070

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I saw piece on the news that says most condo bylaws or the rules for condos only requires 15% of the owners to agree in order to change or impose a new bylaw.
It takes 51% to change the condo board members.

What if you sent a letter with some signatures with an idea for them to convert 1 parking spot into a "room" with a secured door and camera inside the room.
Park the bikes in the room (secure your bike with loops on the wall/floor) therefore it is harder to steal, place a key fob on the door and alarm so if someone tries to break in, alarm is triggered to security also. Keyfob entry tells us who entered the room and when.
Camera inside the room allows bikers to see if another biker damages a bike and if a theft occurs, aid to see the face of the thief.

The bikers using the room can pay $20/mth for storage fees. Since most places do not allow 2 vehicles in 1 space, this is cheaper than renting 2 parking spots also.

I suggest you get a simple letter from the insurance company and police if possible that advises the board this is a good idea to prevent theft and deter crime and their cooperation would help in the manner.

Position it as keeping the building and residence safer from crime that we must do something as doing nothing equals promotes crime.

Just an idea...maybe draft a group form letter here for others to use.

This is prolly the 10th time posting in support of this move...we used live in a student Co Op in DT TO and that had a fenced off parking spot just for bikes....wonderfull idea..They would charge us 20 bucks a month for it..

To the OP, I applaud you for trying to think out of the box, but in reality, most condos don't have the required 15% of tenants that ride bikes. The board won't want to go for it, simply because once they build such a structure they are;

1. admitting that there is problem with security of the building;
2. they would effectively become liable should a bike be stolen from the "secure" area.

Most residents don't care about "your" bike. they will simply say, buy insurance just as they do for their vehicles and be done with it.

There are only two easy viable solutions to theft:

1. buy and ride a HEAVY cruiser that thieves can't throw in a stolen mini van;
2. don't live in a condo.

otherwise make sure you have theft coverage in your insurance and secure the bike as best as you can, (chains, locks etc). As we used to say when I was a patrolman. Locks are NOT going to stop a thief, they simply keep honest people honest..lol

Back
Top Bottom