Bombardier transit and the TTC | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bombardier transit and the TTC

Since BBD screwed it up, BBD should have sold their share to Airbus leaving QC with 49.5, Airbus with 50.5 and BBD free to continue screwing up rail without also losing money on jets.

Maybe, but maybe QC is cool with the deal based on my premiss--I wasn't in the room and I don't know who was... Odds are Airbus and BBD would not have made the deal keeping QC at the same percentage (everyone gives up something to get the new guy on board).

Either-way, I am sure the executive at Boeing is losing it at the moment...

Lolz... Union guys.

I won't go into too much detail, but the machine shop I work at makes small parts for FCI/Burndy which go to Bombardier.
We have made 600 cable connectors (42 hours of work) before they realized they won't work.
Re-designed and made 1500 more (120 hours), still wrong.
Re-design #2. So far we have made 3000, (200 hours) they haven't been tested yet, but you get the idea.
342 hours, roughly 2 months, (and that's just machine time) wasted and that's just for a connector. I can't imagine what the story would be for all the other parts involved.
Behind in production? Can't meet deadlines? Wonder why. SMH.

I wont pretend to understand the engineering, BUT... it just boggles the mind that parts that appear straightforward ( connectors/couplers) cant get built. Space X can build rocket ships faster than these guys can make a small train, and we've had trains for 150 yrs?

Should have just bought them from the British navy, they have awesome submarines.

Politicians.
As nch as I live to hate on Bomber, politicians actually are partly to blame for the mess (shocker!). Normal procurement would be 20, 40 units at a time, then if there's a problem the damage is limited and the next round of orders go to someone else. But with transit investment being cut back for so long we ended up stuck needing everything at once.

You can better leverage volume/discounts, under normal negotiations. It's not as easy as cutting up the pie between two or three .... But I agree that this would be prudent to make the contract gradual and conditional. Would the other side go for it? .... Not sure.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...s-plan-b-after-delays-to-streetcar-order.html

Under the original terms of the $1-billion purchase, Bombardier was supposed to deliver all 204 new vehicles by the end of 2019. But the company has consistently blown deadlines; it was supposed to have supplied a total of 148 cars by the end of 2017, but instead managed just 59.... In an email Friday, a spokesperson for the company insisted it remains “on track to deliver all 204 streetcars by the end of the original contract deadline.”
Bombardier certainly reminds me of the old adage about the definition of insanity....

again...WUT!!!
Dude, seriously some of your other posts/thoughts are oblivious but this one is headed for the podium.

Let's look at the obvious dynasty.
Who is the PM?
And tell us exactly how he was/is the most qualified to be PM.
If his last name was Smith...would he be the PM.

Seriously guy? The TTC and MX orders for Bombardier vehicles are from Harper's days, and even if they weren't, TTC and MX don't take their marching orders from the PM. Bombardier got a bailout because Thunder Bay and a handful of other **** holes survive off of Bombardier and the Gov't wanted to save some jobs; Bombardier has been threatening their labour force with cuts ever since this order fiasco started and they've been using it as a bargaining chip.

There's more nuance to the world than "looking at the obvious".

Seriously guy? The TTC and MX orders for Bombardier vehicles are from Harper's days, and even if they weren't, TTC and MX don't take their marching orders from the PM. Bombardier got a bailout because Thunder Bay and a handful of other **** holes survive off of Bombardier and the Gov't wanted to save some jobs; Bombardier has been threatening their labour force with cuts ever since this order fiasco started and they've been using it as a bargaining chip.

There's more nuance to the world than "looking at the obvious".
It's just so easy to point at one person.

I won't go into too much detail, but the machine shop I work at makes small parts for FCI/Burndy which go to Bombardier.
We have made 600 cable connectors (42 hours of work) before they realized they won't work.
Re-designed and made 1500 more (120 hours), still wrong.
Re-design #2. So far we have made 3000, (200 hours) they haven't been tested yet, but you get the idea.
342 hours, roughly 2 months, (and that's just machine time) wasted and that's just for a connector. I can't imagine what the story would be for all the other parts involved.
Behind in production? Can't meet deadlines? Wonder why. SMH.

Did they fail to do any prototype or pre-production builds?

The time when you find out that something doesn't fit or doesn't work should be on the first prototype ... not after building 3000 wrong parts.

It's worth spending time on the first prototype. It's worth doing a pre-production build to validate the changes made from the prototype. THEN you can go to mass production.

I wonder if they know what PPAP means. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_part_approval_process

Everyone in automotive mfg knows what that means ... well, except maybe Tesla ...

Back
Top Bottom