Ouch ...what would you do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ouch ...what would you do?

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Surprised this didn't show up here.

[video=youtube;kkyodoc7GAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkyodoc7GAs[/video]

Quite the thread on ADV including from some semi-pro medics

Ouch! | Adventure Rider

Rider was 11 days in hospital with skin grafts and an artery repair.

That's my riding region down under but I don't do single track ...still I've jumped enough small logs and branches post cyclone on dual forest tracks that it could have happened ...I'll be a bit more cautious busting branches on the track.

Last edited:
And the stupid friend that pulls it out. If you have no other first aid training know this. If an object is penetrating you leave it in. Pulling it out can be far worse as it may be keeping a severed artery from bleeding. Pull it out and you may not be able to stop the bleeding. That guy was lucky!

Catching sharp broken branches end-on is a real risk. I always try to move stuff like that off the trail if I find it.

There's another video out there of a guy who caught a branch through the eye port of his helmet which lodged in his cheek. At least they didn't try yanking it out.

Is there any gear that might prevent this type of injury?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don't think so. He was already wearing reasonably good boots. Even with impenetrable boots you could imagine if the branch were longer that it could have slid up between the bike and his leg into his shin or inner thigh or groin.

A couple of weeks ago I caught the end of a large branch square in the chest while I was looking over my shoulder trying to see down a side trail. Fortunately, that branch was totally rotten and just crumbled away, but that could have been a very serious incident if it were a fresh sharp branch. A chest protector would be a good idea, but most of them are really just plastic roost protectors designed to deflect gravel from your buddies.

As taximan said....DON'T pull it out. Wrap around the protrusion, secure it and the wound area as best you can. Cut it down if you can and then seek actual medical attention ASAP!

Take a First Aid course! Even if you aren't up to date, at least you have had it at one point.

I once had a stick 2 inches into my belly trail riding. I pulled it out but the hospital staff did the cleaning and stitching.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

That doesn't look like a branch. It looks like a 2x2" stake someone leaned against the tree, almost like it was put there on purpose. They should not have pulled it out until he got to hospital.

The guy is lucky he didn't bleed out.

Even basic first aid skills should be enough to know that ripping out something that's entered the body, especially something that might do as much (or more) damage on the way out as it did going in, is a bad idea.

I wouldn't do a thing until I had John Quinones on the phone.

I've speculated about what to do if something like that happened on one of my trail runs. I agree with what others have said about leaving stuff in rather than pulling it out.
It's not clear from the video how far they are from road access. If you can without doing more damage, getting to a road is a good idea. In Ontario, rescue is usually by way of the local (often volunteer) fire department. They're often well trained, but it's going to take a long time for them to get to you, and there's no magic carpet ride out. Air ambulance will not get you out of the bush. They will land on a 30 by 30 metre clearing if it's a life threat, it's daytime, the weather is clear and there is a helicopter available. More likely, you'll get strapped to a backboard and get carried out on foot.
Having that in the back of my mind makes me more careful in the bush

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Definitely keep your First Aid up to date. Riding in the forest with no training (or by yourself) expecting someone to come along to bail you out is like having lottery tickets as your retirement plan.

As soon as my buddy started taking pictures prior to helping me, I would tell him to f off and get help from one of my more useful friends. I'm glad it worked out for the rider, that was a big open hole in his leg, it could have gone horribly wrong.

I would definitely pull over and do something.

I think the pictures were taking to show doctors and not for social media.
Priceless how the guy use the same foot to kick star his bike and rode on, gotta love Australians
As soon as my buddy started taking pictures prior to helping me, I would tell him to f off and get help from one of my more useful friends. I'm glad it worked out for the rider, that was a big open hole in his leg, it could have gone horribly wrong.

Is there any gear that might prevent this type of injury?

My O'Neill knee armor might have...I don't trust the armor in riding pants...too small - moves around too easily.
This stays in place
but it still could have slid up my thigh as I suspect that did.

7bf8f400825427eed8425c3773d3ea38.jpg

I'd give the rider and his buddies kudos for likely the best of bad choices. I enjoyed the ADV discussion....
I've dealt with that hardwood - it's brittle so breaks sharp but very hard ...no way it was getting cut with any small tool and no way to ride with it in.

I suspose sitting tight might have been smart but I don't think the damage was done pulling it out and some places are pretty inaccessible. Getting TO the first aid supplies likely was smart.

Wonder what the rider thinks

Priceless how the guy use the same foot to kick star his bike and rode on, gotta love Australians

My riding buddy in Australia is hardcore like that...tree grabbed him ( his words ) and slammed him back first into the trunk at 60 kph.
Rode out the single track 120 KM with a split kidney THEN they called the Air Ambo.

This year Ken was out with a saner friend and he lost it pretty hard on a front end wash out...rode home THEN found his leg was broken....not like he's a youngster either ....mid 50s.
He was admiring my knee armor when we sat for tea....at his house this time instead of the bush ( he carries folding chairs, stove and tea makings.)...was much fun.

glade_zpsc01c5690.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom