Calgary cops get Vstroms | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calgary cops get Vstroms

Well, that's going to bust up a few teenage bush parties I guess, sort of. A 1000cc bike is still going to be a handful off-road though. Also, even at 1000cc (I would have opted for 600cc) the outlaw sport bikers will run away from it on the highway. But yeah, more nimble on the gravel roads. Seems that most times police do an experiment like this, they end up going back to Harley Davidsons after a few years. You just can't beat the big vibrating sofa.

I put over 200,000 km on my 2006 V-Strom 650, 139,000+Km on my second generation 2012 V-Strom 650, and a bit over 79,000 km on my 2015 V-Strom 1000. The new generation V-Strom 1000 (2014+) is pretty much just as nimble as my 650's were.

..Tom

The police versions need upgraded electrics to handle accessories such as lighting and CB.

Police Fleet Managers like HD because maintenance and parts. Easy to work on, maintain and plenty of parts availability.

Lower price points can be had and perform better over the heavy hogs but, they can throw off the folks needing to maintain them and something small can put it out of service longer.

Cops that ride, enjoy HD but there are plenty that like BMW, Kawi and other police version bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey, I think you got something there Joe -

EA0DBB4A-8C87-4E14-B1E0-1E4F73C51157_zpsar1lokp8.jpg

Isn't Oakland hard up to San Francisco? Those Dr's are at the low factory setting. It doesn't get anymore celebratory than that.

what would be the ratio on Vstorm vs police issue HD, about 4 suzuki to 1 HD at retail price point? if they work out it wont be long till other dept. look at them.

Halton police just took delivery of a new 5ton urban assault vehicle that costs a couple hundred grand. I feel safer already.....

what would be the ratio on Vstorm vs police issue HD, about 4 suzuki to 1 HD at retail price point? if they work out it wont be long till other dept. look at them.

Halton police just took delivery of a new 5ton urban assault vehicle that costs a couple hundred grand. I feel safer already.....

Just a toy for them to troll around on when they aint proctectin' and servin writing 15km over speeding tickets on the mean streets on halton.

The police versions need upgraded electrics to handle accessories such as lighting and CB.

In the modern era of LED lighting that draws milliamps per light, and compact digital radios that also draw a fraction of the power vs the old analogue units, I don't think power draw is a big issue anymore.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki are hard to work on and maintain and there are no parts available?

Yeah those jap bikes always known to be such a hassle, unreliable and such money pits.

Oh wait... :p

Regardless, have diversity in the police bike force is a good thing.

Geebus, I was just looking at that picture some more and now all I can see is this.

t10001.jpg

I think a T1000 has infiltrated the ranks. Someone needs to notify Arnold.

Downtown Montreal yesterday, I saw a fleet of police BMW machines. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course Montreal would get BMWs and taxpayers will pay and pay for maintenance.....sort of a minature version of the Olympics eh.
Calgary a bit more sensible. :D

Geebus, I was just looking at that picture some more and now all I can see is this.

t10001.jpg

I think a T1000 has infiltrated the ranks. Someone needs to notify Arnold.

If you've ever sat on a stock DR650 seat for any length of time, you'll know why his face looks like that.

last I heard, ford had sold none of the interceptor with the small motor because 305 hp was unacceptably low for a police car :/.

I know of at least one University campus police that is using the 4-cyl 2.0L EcoBoost engine Taurus. They don't get involved in a lot of chases...

The 2.0L is 'pursuit rated' by the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles Sheriff's department; 'only' 240 hp

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...erceptors-have-quickest-acceleration-and.html

Interestingly, the 2.0-liter EcoBoost Special Service Police Sedan test results showed the turbo four-cylinder to be quicker to 60 mph than the last Crown Victoria Police Interceptor tested by MSP for the 2011 model year (8.6 vs. 8.9 seconds)

If you ask me electric makes the most sense for most policing duties. No noise, little maintenance, no clutch fatigue. Excels in low to medium speed city traffic.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ca/fleet/police

[video=youtube;cLXEXMBUVhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXEXMBUVhg[/video]

Last edited:
I know of at least one University campus police that is using the 4-cyl 2.0L EcoBoost engine Taurus. They don't get involved in a lot of chases...

The 2.0L is 'pursuit rated' by the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles Sheriff's department; 'only' 240 hp

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...erceptors-have-quickest-acceleration-and.html

If you ask me electric makes the most sense for most policing duties. No noise, little maintenance, no clutch fatigue. Excels in low to medium speed city traffic.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ca/fleet/police

[video=youtube;cLXEXMBUVhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXEXMBUVhg[/video]
While i totally agree with zero moto.. also since the batteries get better every iteration...ontario won't try to make the effort for it. these bikes are even lighter and smaller... imagine how difficult it would be to sell officers to those.

these bikes are even lighter and smaller... imagine how difficult it would be to sell officers to those.

Yeah, unfortunately you are probably right. I own one and love it, but most people who have never ridden one poo poo it without having any idea what it is like.

I also own a V-Strom 650 and have no idea why the Calgary officers think they need the 1000; 650 is plenty powerful for anything they would be using it for.

Yeah, unfortunately you are probably right. I own one and love it, but most people who have never ridden one poo poo it without having any idea what it is like.

I also own a V-Strom 650 and have no idea why the Calgary officers think they need the 1000; 650 is plenty powerful for anything they would be using it for.

Because power.

When it's not your money, many times questionable decisions are made.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki are hard to work on and maintain and there are no parts available?

Correct. Parts for the Jap bikes are 10,000 miles away. They keep common parts in the U.S. warehouse, but the other stuff is always on back order. You can get any Harley part within three days. HD makes several models, but only four engines and three transmissions and they all share the same parts.

Correct. Parts for the Jap bikes are 10,000 miles away. They keep common parts in the U.S. warehouse, but the other stuff is always on back order. You can get any Harley part within three days. HD makes several models, but only four engines and three transmissions and they all share the same parts.

I've ordered parts for both our "jap bikes" (some of them reasonably obscure, like shock bushings for my VTX this past spring and a speedo wheel gear set for my wife's Vstar) and they were available next day (much less 3) mere kilometres away - Honda Powerhouse in Bowmanville, and Asseltines. Hell, Asseltines had the speedo cable for her bike actually in stock, but the gear set that I wanted with it had to come from the Yamaha central warehouse in Toronto.

So yeah, I don't buy your argument. Go ahead and name a part that you think isn't available inside 3 days for either of my bikes and I'll call and check.

That aside, it's been well proven that metrics tend to be super reliable anyways. They're in the shop less, simply said.

Back
Top Bottom