Downsizing... looking for feedback 750cc to 1200 cc | GTAMotorcycle.com

Downsizing... looking for feedback 750cc to 1200 cc

Johnnyl61

[h=2][/h]
Hi everyone, looks like a great site...

Have owned HD 883 for a few years then a HD Road Glide for last 7 years. Loved the Rg for highway and touring but most of my riding 75% is around town, to and from suburbs to downtown. Have recently test ridden a 1200 Hd Roadster but am also considering a Standard Thruxton, a T120 Bonneville, and then I recently saw the new Moto Guzzi V III which I gather has the same HP as the HD 883. Have watched lots of youtube vids on all four. Have been to the TR and Mg dealers in Ottawa where I live but they do not permit test rides.

Have yet to meet an owner of a T120, Thruxton or V7III. I assume there are loads of people on on here from the GTA area who either own or have ridden a V7ii or V7III. Am looking for more info on the MG V7III. Can it travel at 120kph on a highway easily. I assume around town is not an issue.​

Haven't ridden the Guzzi but have played with the Brits and all I can say is just sit on them and decide what fits best. If I had Leno's garage and $, I'd have both thruxton and Bonnie.

In all honesty, when it comes to Italian, I skip MG and end up eye balling Ducs.

From the comparo Vids on YouTube, I'm pretty sure the MG can do highway just as well as any of them. I would imagine better than a Sportster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Moto Guzzi is worth a serious look in my opinion. Lightweight, shaft drive, easily accessible screw type valve adjustments and aircooled are pluses that quickly come to mind. I like the Stone for it's understated good looks and tubeless tires.

Another plus the the Guzzi is it has a 22L fuel tank! Combined with the low revving 750cc engine and it will go over 400km on a tank. Get a quick release windscreen and maybe some hepko and becker luggage and you can turn that bike into a pretty descent light weight touring rig. If there was a dealer closer than 4hrs to me I would be giving one a serious look as well.

Another vote for a serious look at the Guzz. It's the one from that list that speaks to my heart.

I own the first generation V7. It's a really nice motorcycle in that it is powerful yet light. It has an undeniable spirit that's missing in many modern motorcycles. They are just lovely bikes to ride. I know that the engine has evolved on the 2nd and 3rd generation V7's offering greater HP out of the engine. But the engine design is antiquated (based on the old Heron Head design) so it will never do better than 75HP in its current state. GuzziTech in California has a kit to make the V7 into an 820 4-valve with over 100HP. Guzzi's have a reputation for mediocre build quality and you should be prepared for sporadic dealer network, difficult to obtain parts, and questionable build quality (at times). Then again, I'm making these comparisons to my 30 year old BMW K-bike with its precision German engineering; not fair. M-G are very easy bikes to work on and there is a very tight knit community of owners to help in any situation.

The newer V9 offers a future proof upgrade path HP wise. If you are not in love with the design, you're not alone. Guzzi took that bike in a totally different direction than what most wanted it to go, trying to compete with the likes of H-D. Again, GuzziTech are also contemplating redesigning the V9 Bobber, turning it into a V9 Racer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom