Daytona 675r for a track bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daytona 675r for a track bike?

blackcamaro

Hey Guys,

I got an itch to buy something and toying with the idea of either something to use as a track bike or on the opposite end of the spectrum an adventure bike. Anyways...

If I buy something to use on the track it will do double duty as a street bike. Just looking around it seems to me like a Daytona 675r would be the way to go. Similar kind of money to comparable Japanese bikes but comes with ohlins suspension front and rear, quick shifter, slipper clutch etc. Big thing is the suspension in my mind because to buy that stuff for an R6 etc would be fairly pricey. Only negative I can think of is a lack of used parts.

On paper it seems like a no brainer but maybe I'm missing something?

I've got a 2012 675r that it set up as a track bike and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have TD experience? Might be better to have a TD only bike..already prepped and a bit older and cheaper than a new 675r . Would hate to see a nice street bike being crashed..

I do not. I hear what your saying and tend to agree with you. My problem with buying a track only bike is I race mx and that tends to take up a lot of my free time. I feel like a track only bike would get limited use. I also wouldn't choose a super sport usually on the street and would generally ride my supermoto. If I do buy an ss to use on the track I would buy a set of track fairings, tank sliders etc and then switch back to the street stuff for some trips up north for better roads or deals gap kind of stuff. In my mind I can justify this. When I crash it I crash it, just the way things go.

Realistically I should probably just do some track days on my supermoto as who cares if that hits the deck and grab an adventure bike BUT track on a ss looks like a heck of a time.

I wouldnt be be buying a new 675r btw, wait for the right deal on a used one.

I've got a 2012 675r that it set up as a track bike and love it.

Do you find good value with the components it came with or did you find yourself switching out the shock etc like what is common on other bikes in its class?

here you go; 2010 R6 8000kms TD/race $4500 http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...10/1261682745?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

just buying race skins for your 675r will cost 1/4 of what this bike costs ready to go. No wasted time swapping out plastics or fitting back on the plastics to your street bike, which will become a pain every track day you attend....

or a first gen r6 for $2000...http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...ke/1260997057?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

or scuba steve (from gta online) first gen r6 for $1900...http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?200605-1999-1st-gen-R6-trackbike

Last edited:
I sold my D675 a little over a year ago. Brilliant track weapon as it is, out of the box.
The "r" suspension is better of course, but you can find those parts easily enough online for a greatly reduced price.

Most people seem to think parts are hard to come by - they're not. Just look around on Ebay and Kijiji. It's surprisingly easy. Sure, not so much as a GSXr or something like that, but still not hard to source out.

They're not comfortable on the street at all due to their extreme riding position, but that's why they shine at the track.
Only really upgrades I made were the front forks with some Racetech Gold Valves and a heavier sprung 675R shock in the rear. Put on a scorpion exhaust and loaded a new tune on the ECU, and it was a great bike.

They are fantastic handling bikes on the street.
I have not tracked mine, but I know people that do track them and they say they are incredible.

My street bike will eventually turn into a track only bike once I pick up something new for the street in a couple years.

Owned a 2009 Daytona 675 about 4 years ago. Beautiful bike and handles like no other.

I've owned 8 bikes, and the 675 is my favorite by far.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like there isn't a reason to not use one as a track bike so if I go that direction it will likely be a daytona. I like things that are a little different anyways.

Yes BrianP, the idea of using my supermoto for track is one of the ideas I'm tossing around. Probably makes the most sense but where's the fun in that!

I have an 012 675R. It's a sweet bike to ride on the track, no doubt.
It started out as a street/track bike, but I gotta tell you it was a real pain to change over for a single track day or a race weekend. it became a dedicated track bike pretty quick.

I have an 012 675R. It's a sweet bike to ride on the track, no doubt.
It started out as a street/track bike, but I gotta tell you it was a real pain to change over for a single track day or a race weekend. it became a dedicated track bike pretty quick.

actually, I'm floating idea of selling my beloved daytona this season. PM if interested or want info.

I'm surprised that no one has brought up how expensive they are spare parts wise. Not to mention they don't like to be wound up like a 600.

The triple loves being throttled.
Loves living life at 12,000rpm, but with all the tq available, you rarely need to leave 2nd gear on the street.
Spare parts are on par with any of the big 4 japanese, just need to look around for best prices.

Back
Top Bottom