First bike suggestions...cruiser preferable | GTAMotorcycle.com

First bike suggestions...cruiser preferable

Donovan's

My Son wants to get into biking...any suggestions for his first bike, he has limited experience, but has ridden before...

Sent from: Big Dawg Max

Depends, is he under 25? If so get a used 300cc bike.

His wallet, and possibly life insurance company will thank him.

They're capable of 180 km/h and can carve up the twisties.

Vulcan 500. Savage 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first bike was a Vulcan 900 ... would've preferred lighter (it's 600 lbs) but it was suitable. Didn't realize how under powered it is until I got the new bike (1400) but likely just as well.

I got a Honda Shadow 750 as my first bike last year, which is what I still ride. I think it was/is a great first bike, and a year in and almost 10,000km under my belt is still a lot of fun. I'm not in the city so insurance isn't as much, but it still isn't cheap. For me I was $286/month for the first year. Eagerly awaiting my renewal and hoping its gone down substantially.

I've been told by some people that my 750 Maxim is a good first bike. It's not the typical first choice for beginner bikes as so many go for ninjas and cbrs, but in the cruiser class I think it's good. Probably the biggest reasons for me are that it's not grossly underpowered for it's weight, easy and cheap maintenance. Also, given that a beginner bike will be replaced within a year or two, it makes alot of sense to get an older bike that is at the bottom of it's depreciation scale. So I can ride this for a month or a year or five years, and I will never lose money on the resale when I upgrade.

If you are set on a new beginner level cruiser though, I like the Shadow Phantom VT750C. It has bad *** looks, a killer sound and a decent price tag. I'm hoping I'll be able to get into the demo ride this week to try it out. If it rides as good as it looks, I might move up to that one.

Thanks for the feed back gentlemen ....for the the most part that's what I was thinking... 650/750 range... and used for sure...

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

Vstar 650 - they're a dime a dozen, they're priced well because of such (although this time of year it's a sellers market vs a buyers market unless you want to wait another month) and insurance companies rate them well as they know they're easy to handle bikes in a very reasonable horsepower range.

Cardinal rule is to call for insurance quotes BEFORE buying anything though. If he's under 20 and presumably is just getting his license it's not going to be super cheap no matter what you buy, and remember that MC insurance policies are for 12 months regardless of the fact the riding season is only 6 or so.

Also, get him registered in a motorcycle safety course ASAP. Just do it.

Back
Top Bottom