Gore-tex riding pants alterations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gore-tex riding pants alterations

alekomotto

Anyone know of a good tailor they've used before?

I need to hem 1.5" of the bottom of my gore-tex riding pants. No zipper so it should pretty straightforward.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I'd be careful - any integrity break voids the warranty..most riding pants need to be about that much long to accommodate your knee bend and boots and maybe knee armor.

You need to sit on the bike with yuor knees bent and boots on and I'll bet you don't need them shortened.

Sport sewing shop at Gerrard and Woodbine is where MEC sent me for a non-motorcycle jacket. An alternative might be to use bicycle leg straps. My rain pant a way too long, but a tailor in Ottawa wanted over $40 to hem them. Fortunately, they have a really long & wide Velcro section at the bottom to cinch in, although it makes them look like strides.

Where are you located? Sewing the seam will add perforations to the material, but since you are sewing the bottom of the pant leg there should be no issue. Otherwise after the alteration you could add goretex sealer liquid or tape. No extra zipper or velcro, should be pretty quick. Any elasticized cuff/drawstring?

Note: Remember to use polyester thread, as this area will be prone to water and cotton thread will rot. While you're in the area you might add a patch of leather to prevent melting from your muffler. Goretex loves to melt.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too worried about perforating goretex for a hem (assuming theres no liner that will wick moisture up your leg). Any drips that made it through would be on the outside of the boots.

if your pants is an overpants (like a shell) you could cut it yourself and use liquid stitch rather than sewing. Liquid Stitch is like a glue for fabric and works well.
you probably know riding pants should be measured sitting on the bike. later

Yeah i think I'm returning these pants. They bunch up like crazy and are just as baggy as snow pants... oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Of course ....my Airglides are baggy too but you need the space for various layers and decent knee armor etc.
WHen your knee bends with the hip armor and knee armor they straighten out but walking they bunch at the knee or the top of the boots.

riding pants should be measured sitting on the bike

sitting with your feet on the pegs...it's surprising how much that draws up because of the armor.

PM Torontoboy. He did some jacket repairs for me.

Update. The manufacturer will only up hold the warranty if i have the pants altered by a certified gore-tex repair centre. Apparently these so called repair centres only exist in quebec and alberta according to goretex's website.

So i have two options. Hem and keep the pants while losing my warranty or return them and get a different pair altogether.

Update. The manufacturer will only up hold the warranty if i have the pants altered by a certified gore-tex repair centre. Apparently these so called repair centres only exist in quebec and alberta according to goretex's website.

So i have two options. Hem and keep the pants while losing my warranty or return them and get a different pair altogether.

Wow, what a corporate rule! Maybe you can call MEC and see if they will do it for you. They must be a certified Goretex repair center, as they sell so much Goretex. BTW MEC also sells the goretex patch glue and tape!

What would it cost to ship it to Quebec/Alberta, and how much are the pants worth?

All this for a simple pant leg hem? Wow. I can see the complaint now. Water is entering my goretex pants...from two large holes in the bottom!

All this for 2.5" (insert pun here). I'm done with that manufacturer. They are going back and I'm rethinking the whole pant thing.

Last edited:
All this for 2.5" (insert pun here)..

hey, we're guys. Length is everything! I'm sure there's someone on here that would do anything for an extra 1.5".

Here's an idea. Turn up the cuff of your pants by 1.5", towards the inside. Buy some waterproof tape, or some clear hockey tape. Do not use duct tape. Tape the hem shut. For 1.5" it won't be too heavy and sag. It will not be as strong as a sewn seam, but might be good enough. Worst case just rip the tape off then the pants will appear as you bought it.

You can also use rubber cement. I use rubber cement as a temporary baste when sewing thin pieces of leather together. With the rough skin of leather it grabs pretty good. I've never needed to do this with a synthetic, but you can try. You can get rubber cement from Staples for ~$3CAD. The rubber cement will peel right off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom