GTA to BC... Do it or nah..? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GTA to BC... Do it or nah..?

Well a couple of days of 12 degrees and rain in June on the North Shore of the St. Lawrence last year had us wondering.

I actually like this idea! Specially about the 1 way ride AND THROUGH THE STATES AS I FOUND THE MIDDLE OF THE JOURNEY BORING. Specially as you start to see the beautiful mountains in the distance...and 6 hours later...they are still in the distance!!! LOL

I drove to Raton New Mexico a couple of summers ago...
Travelling through Kansas will give you a new perspective on "flat".
I mean we didn't even have to pull over to pee.
Just stop in the middle of the highway, get out and whizz.

Last edited:
I drove to Raton New Mexico a couple of summers ago...
I mean we didn't even have to pull over to pee.
Just stop in the middle of the highway, get out and whizz.

:lmao::laughing1:

Cam anyone point me toward info on the plane shipping and train trip? I always wanted to ride over the rockies to Vancouver with my dad but would probably kill him and leave him in a ditch somewhere in SK.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Canadian prairies are the same way.

Bonus: You could fall asleep at the wheel for a half hour and hit nothing except corn or wheat, and with a slight steering correction, be back on a road headed in the same direction you were initially travelling in.

Cam anyone point me toward info on the plane shipping and train trip? I always wanted to ride over the rockies to Vancouver with my dad but would probably kill him and leave him in a ditch somewhere in SK.

Train is expensive!

Someone will chime in with the deets on Air Canada

Search Air Canada Cargo here but just call them about the program as it changes a bit each year

Train is expensive.

Cheapest is truck to BC and fly.

I shipped my bike to Vancouver via air Canada in 2015. Shipping was roughly 750$ + your ticket cost.

The ~1000$ was worth it to me to skip all the hassles (wear/tear on bike/myself, food/hotels) to get to the good stuff, once is enough to see the prairies on the way home.

The Canadian prairies are the same way. .

I'd disagree... The prairies may be flat, but at least along the trans Canada it's not deserted.
There are lots of towns along the road and fuel/coffee is readily available.
Kansas... In 9 hours of driving I saw 2 other cars and no people...
I even scratched and item off my bucket list by shooting a hole through a road sign.

Last edited:
That's getting up there compared to truck. If two of you are going we got both bikes done for $100.
The headache is you need to get the weight etc reasonably correct for the dangerous goods as that is what goes on the airbill and it has to be close. I suggest look up the bike wet weight.
Add your luggage as actually weighed...ie weigh you topcase and side bags when packed as you are travelling.
We took our helmets and jackets as carryon

Get a quote here for truck

519) 740-6500
McNamara Transfreight

Waydom Industrial Park
RR1 Ayr‎ Ont‎ NOB1E0
Canada

say Doug Laidlaw sent you.

Last edited:
That's getting up there compared to truck. If two of you are going we got both bikes done for $100.

I'm confused. What did you do for $100? Please explain.

And who's Doug Laidlaw?

via Tapatalk

You've got two different topics conflated
The dangerous goods are only if you are flying ...we got two bikes for $100 - it's usually $100 each

••••

Get a quote here for truck

519) 740-6500
McNamara Transfreight

Waydom Industrial Park
RR1 Ayr‎ Ont‎ NOB1E0
Canada

Doug Laidlaw is another rider who knows the trucking guys

800 km/day? Interesting, what is normal for people on a long trip?

I think the route definitley plays a big part in this.

When I was riding in Japan I was spending about 5-7 hours in the saddle but only covering about 250-300kms. That's because all the roads were twisty.

When I took the Blue Ridge parkway to Deals Gap I was spending about 7-8 hours in the saddle but covering about 450-600kms.

When I rode out east I was spending about 8-10 hours on the saddle and covering 600-800kms easily.

Also your company makes a big difference, hence why I usually tour alone now. I get to ride and rest on my own terms.

The trucking option is most likely the most economical for on continent travels.
I know a guy who works as a broker and all he does pretty much is fill space on empty or partially empty trucks...
My guess is if there's a shipment of dildos heading for the coast, but... it doesn't quite fill the trailer... The available space is brokered out.
'No use sending a trailer 3/4 full...
My only concern woukd be making sure my bike was securely and safely crated for the trip.
There's some bumpy roads out there..

i did that trip on a 1979 cbx in early 90s. i had done a bit of travelling by that point but i still underestimated how big Canada really is. we had a plan some what similar to yours. it was a little ambitious . actually it was a lot ambitious. im not saying 800km/day is not doable. im saying it will go from playing to working quickly . like most youth we had to learn things the hard way. at the beginning of the tour. we would see older guys (which i am now 1)riding the big tour bikes and comparing them to recliners or couches on 2 wheels. we were joking with each other that they might as well drive a car. half way thru the tour our opinions had changed drastically. back then i was a bit of a rebel without a clue ,
only you can make the decision to make the trip. but i can give you a few things you would be wise to consider or incorporate into your plans.
not sure what bike you are planning on riding but if it doesn't have a fairing put one on. while your at it i would put on new rubber. i was riding a 6 cylinder cbx that i named Lotta. (because it used alot of everything). the cbx was designed with an undersized rear tire that required a modified swing arm to put on a wider tire. i wasnt willing to do that. i did installed new metzler tour rubber in Toronto but needed a new rear tire in medicine hat Alberta.which is crazy. i had them install the hardest compound tire they had and was happy i did. i was packing alot of extra weight. camping gear ,saddlebags, tools .everything needed for the tour . there wasnt much choice. good thing i was riding solo. im not saying your bike will chew rubber like the cbx . im saying its some thing you should be considering . monitor your tire pressures and tire treads and chain lube/tension(if chain driven)aswell. Ontario roads are really hard on tires . i was told it was because they put crushed glass in the asphalt. consider getting good rain gear . im talking the kind guys that fish in the bering sea wear while working . it would be a sound investment. a few different shades of sun glasses as well as night vision or yellow shooting glasses may be a life saver. at least 3 led headlights you can wear on your head that can also be used to make yourself known in case of break down.
as for the trip , it will take a few days to get thru ontario . if you giver you can blow off a province a day thru the prairies . hail can be a real threat in the prairies ., watch traffic coming from the direction your going for smashed wind shields. it would be silly to try to ride thru it. stop at the next overpass. you'll want someway to protect your gas tank just in case you get caught . once you reach the mountains there is an amazing ride ahead. there is actually 2 mountain ranges with a desert between them. watch for wildlife . the deer dont walk they bounce.
about speeding .out of province tags are dollar signs to the fuss. if you do choose to speed keep your eyes open and watch the traffic coming towards you for flashing head lights. its saved my *** more than once.
these days you may want to book your accommodations as ahead of time as possible. especially thru mountains. on the way back your *** may thank you if you take the boat from Manitoulin island . definitely book that in advance .its not a huge time saver but its a great voyage . you *** and tires will thank you
IMO things you should try to see . the badlands, riding at night north of Calgary. if your lucky there will be northern light or a lighting storm in the distance .in some places on either side of the road there are oil rigs have huge flames that shoot out of stacks . you will feel like you are in an easyrider poster. if your lucky you will get all 3 things at once.
if you make it to Vancouver island do the bungee jump off the bridge into a valley. you wont want to miss the sooke pot holes. totally worth the walk up the mountain side. 1 of the coolest things ive ever seen. there is great riding on the island . its almost like a big sight seeing oval track .
its been a long time since i did that tour. im sure i have forgotten tons of things. when i think back i wish we wernt in such a rush. i hope you do decide to do it . id imagine with the internet its alot easier to plan your journey . be safe and always
keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked
Peace

Back
Top Bottom