FYI Traffic sweep focuses on motorcycles and 2 other classes for May | GTAMotorcycle.com

FYI Traffic sweep focuses on motorcycles and 2 other classes for May

Ottawa police noted in a release that, between 2011 and 2015, there were almost 800 crashes involving motorcycles which resulted in 12 deaths and 634 injurie

Ok.....soooo why are the police stopping Motorcycles then? Most of the stops will be for Plate visibility and loud exhaust which has nothing to do with Motorcycle safety.

They need to refocus their time on something other than a cash grab.

Agree with slowbird. They're just looking for a few bucks. You don't see too many bikes that aren't roadworthy. It's the old hiding plate's they're after. Good luck catching them without putting the motoring public at risk.

Agree with slowbird. They're just looking for a few bucks. You don't see too many bikes that aren't roadworthy. It's the old hiding plate's they're after. Good luck catching them without putting the motoring public at risk.

Could also be to head off the shenanigans that happened last year on highways. Couple that with the high insurance rates for ss bikes and checking for valid insurance too.

I question if most police officers could even identify things that make a bike not roadworthy, unless it is actually visibly falling apart. Of course, if lights are out that's a different story.

I question if most police officers could even identify things that make a bike not roadworthy, unless it is actually visibly falling apart. Of course, if lights are out that's a different story.

Even a rat bike can be road worthy....so other than what they are going to be targeting...no, probably not.

Last edited:
Could also be to head off the shenanigans that happened last year on highways. Couple that with the high insurance rates for ss bikes and checking for valid insurance too.

How's this going to help?

You do realize that is bs...right.

How much really different is a Gsxr600 different than a 750 different than a Gsxr1000?
It's pretty much the same bike with slightly larger motors but all 3 bikes are within 1 second of each other.

So why is the insurance rate of a 1000 much higher than a 600?
It's the same rider on the machine?

So they are simply charging you more because the 750 get to 100km/h 0.5 seconds faster than the 600 and the 1000 gets to 100km/h 0.5 seconds faster than the 750.
If most accidents happen within the speed limit e.g. car hitting bike or bike hitting car...why the rate increases?

I think they have more claims for cruiser riders than sport bike riders.

*I left you an obvious e-land mine, let's see if you step on it.

Thing is, these type form up in large packs to give themselves some sort of protection from zealous enforcement. If a wheelie with few around was no problem you'd likely see less of the ROC type shenanigans.

Also of note, these guys seem to feed off the us vs. them mentality. It's part of the appeal and it's clear to see when they pull into a local spot, rip off their helmets, and start trading tall tales of narrow escape.

In the good old days biker clubs were comprised of disenfranchised war veterans. Who wouldn't be an outlaw after seeing your buddy blown to bits on behalf of an unappreciative public? Today only 31 flavours of ice cream. Of course kids are gonna lash out. The cops need to put a lid on this. Looking forward to a hassle free summer.

In the good old days biker clubs were comprised of disenfranchised war veterans. Who wouldn't be an outlaw after seeing your buddy blown to bits on behalf of an unappreciative public? Today only 31 flavours of ice cream. Of course kids are gonna lash out. The cops need to put a lid on this. Looking forward to a hassle free summer.

Right, they comprise 99% of harley riders(also where 1%ers came about)

World war 2 vets, keeping harley in business since 1945

Vanilla gorillas?

Right, they comprise 99% of harley riders(also where 1%ers came about)

World war 2 vets, keeping harley in business since 1945

Here's a quarter, get yourself an :icescream:

I can only hope they cover Toronto. I welcome a crackdown after last year's incidences.

Ottawa Sun said:
Motorcycles, unsafe vehicles and heavy vehicles will be drawing special attention by law enforcement in May, as part of the Selective Traffic Enforcement Program...

Also participating in the program are the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police, Sûreté du Québec, military police and Gatineau police to provide region-wide reach.

The original article only mentions Ottawa, Gatineau, RCMP, Surete and the OPP. There is no mention about Toronto Police, or any other GTA police department. Before we all reach to whatever conclusions, did anyone else actually read the article? They are also targeting unsafe vehicles and heavy vehicles, so there seems to be no vehicular discrimination.

I can only hope they cover Toronto. I welcome a crackdown after last year's incidences.

The original article only mentions Ottawa, Gatineau, RCMP, Surete and the OPP. There is no mention about Toronto Police, or any other GTA police department. Before we all reach to whatever conclusions, did anyone else actually read the article? They are also targeting unsafe vehicles and heavy vehicles, so there seems to be no vehicular discrimination.

I figured since the opp were involved and it mentioned regional spread it would cover more than that.

My comment about SS insurance wasn't meant to mean anything aside from the fact that the cops might be expecting more young riders on SS bikes to be riding without insurance.

It's going to be in Ottawa on streets most of you have never heard of, on bikes you'll never see, but of course you have an opinion on it, and a picture in your mind of how it will be done.

There's not enough information in the article to make that discernment, but some will make up their own info to fill that gap.

Back
Top Bottom