Gear insurance question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gear insurance question

stranger29

Hello,
I just recently started got my first bike('16 ninja 300 ABS),
despite comments of my friends that 300cc for girls :)
right now going through break-in process (so max speed is below ~75km/h)
As a person who really concerned about safety, I spent around 2500 on protective gear with plans to spend 1000 more for that fancy airbag vest in not so distant future.
But it just stuck me couple weeks ago, that I have no idea if all this gear are covered by my aviva policy.
Called my broker and he said that it's not like this in Ontario and in case I will be in an accident and gear will be damaged, I have to claim it through my tenant insurance policy.
Kinda weird.
Could please anyone clarify this for me as I don't really understand how it will work in case something will happen ?
I was trying to google any information but wasn't able to find anything, except that across the border all special motorcycle gear is included in the policy and helmet usually paid off without deprecation.
Thanks !

i have never personally had that question come up however a non at fault claim generally there is coverage for protective gear.

Speaking as a friend of someone who had a car back up into him on purpose and knock him off his bike... he was bought a new helmet, jacket and gloves, insurance company takes the damaged ones away..along with his bike that was written off., i assume the gearto be destroyed.

Each company will have different limits and guidelines for stuff like that, ask your broker to log into the aviva partner site and double check it. there are more changes coming in and i believe they are now to be in the riders benefits.

but i also think that they are going to require the MSF course for anyone on a SS?Harley/All Indians and most Victory and less than 3 years experience..which you know what...its not a bad thing. it is a fun course.
we will see what the new guidelines are when they come down...this is just a theory.

i have never personally had that question come up however a non at fault claim generally there is coverage for protective gear.

Speaking as a friend of someone who had a car back up into him on purpose and knock him off his bike... he was bought a new helmet, jacket and gloves, insurance company takes the damaged ones away..along with his bike that was written off., i assume the gearto be destroyed.

Each company will have different limits and guidelines for stuff like that, ask your broker to log into the aviva partner site and double check it. there are more changes coming in and i believe they are now to be in the riders benefits.

but i also think that they are going to require the MSF course for anyone on a SS?Harley/All Indians and most Victory and less than 3 years experience..which you know what...its not a bad thing. it is a fun course.
we will see what the new guidelines are when they come down...this is just a theory.

Thx.
I've already asked him to check and that's what he told me, maybe I'll contact aviva directly.
I actually got 2 safety courses completed, last year with humber and this year with learning curves.

If accident it is your fault, then the gear is not covered under your Auto Policy, you have to claim it under your home or tenant insurance, Motorcycle gear might comes under "Sport equipment" and your policy might have a certain limit for sports equipment.

If it is not your fault then the gear will be covered covered by your insurance company under "DCPD" (Direct compensation for Property Damage). Though there might be a deductible for DCPD under your policy.

Just so you know, your speed doesn't need to be below 75 during break in. I'm not sure who told you that, but they have no idea what they're talking about.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Just so you know, your speed doesn't need to be below 75 during break in. I'm not sure who told you that, but they have no idea what they're talking about.

If that's where the 4,000 or 6,000 rpm specified in the owners manual puts the speed, then it's being done by the book.

If that's where the 4,000 or 6,000 rpm specified in the owners manual puts the speed, then it's being done by the book.
Driving under the speed limit, especially for a new rider is a bad idea. It pisses off everyone behind you, and will lead to cars taking risks to pass you.

Doing at least the speed limit won't hurt the bike..at all.

I went off the road last year on my bike. It was single vehicle, so 100% at fault. Intact Insurance paid out replacement cost for all of my riding gear.

Back
Top Bottom