Which one to go for - Touring or Sports Touring | GTAMotorcycle.com

Which one to go for - Touring or Sports Touring

humsafar77

Friends I am New rider in Canada, but have been riding in other countries since I was 12 yrs old, i.e. almost 25 yrs, though have been riding smaller CC motorcycles (100 to 200 cc) and in less speedy and a lot more stupid traffic.

Need your suggestion, Positives and Negatives for Sport touring Vs Touring,

Few of criteria/consideration behind my decision will be; (these are flexible)

- My use will be weekend rides or occasionally some short trips to Grocery shop. Mainly want to enjoy the country side on Motorcycle
- I am not a racing guy not looking the bike with Maximum top speed but I am all for Toque, love the fast acceleration.
- Max CC up to 750 as it will be easier to handle and bit cheaper on insurance
- Have Diabetics and Bit back problem so definitely need a comfortable riding position - A must
- This will be my first bike here, so want to keep my budget low. Max upto $4500
- Looking for something 2005 and upwards
- Preference is Japanese Brands

Really appreciate your help to decide if i should go for Sport Touring or Touring:

Once you look in insurance prices in Ontario, you may decide that riding a 250 or 300cc bike for a few years isn't that bad an idea.

Even if you buy something a bit bigger, my personal preference is a bike that puts my feet under me (especially since your back is already bad) so I would look at something like the 700cc naked bikes. Insurance is much better on nakeds than full plastic bikes (for now).

Guess is depends on how you define the difference between touring and sports touring?

Sounds like you want to be comfortable and have some fun.

There are a lot of machines that can achieve this.

I would suggest a used V-Storm 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way I see it Suzuki Bandit 650 or 1250 will fit your needs ... quite few of them available on kijiji right now.

Guess is depends on how you define the difference between touring and sports touring?

Sounds like you want to be comfortable and have some fun.

To me Touring Motorcycles are like Honda Shadow or Yamaha Vstar etc. and Sports Touring bike are V Strom, Honda NC 700, Kawasaki Versys etc..

Just wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of both kind of Motorcycles. e.g, which one has better suspension, on which category you will feel every bump of the road, which will glide over the bumps, etc...,

To me Touring Motorcycles are like Honda Shadow or Yamaha Vstar etc. and Sports Touring bike are V Strom, Honda NC 700, Kawasaki Versys etc..

Just wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of both kind of Motorcycles. e.g, which one has better suspension, on which category you will feel every bump of the road, which will glide over the bumps, etc...,
These bikes are night and day. I owned a v star 1100 and then when sports touring. Cruisers are very basic suspension and brakes. I found it harder on the back to be leaning back on the Vstar as you really are placed on your tailbone. More sporty bikes place more of your weight on legs/butt and wrists.
Like I said you really cant compare your two categories its like fire truck and police car.
Go with what you desire, what appeals to your eye...

Coming from the cc sizes you are used to, go with something like the GS500 or Honda's CB500. They are closer to the touring riding position and more standard. The Vulcan, V-Star, etc are cruisers and you will sit more leaned back on your tailbone.

Perhaps what you're looking for is what's sometimes referred to as a UJM. Universal Japanese Motorcycle.
-Neutral riding position. Neither "sporty" or "cruisey".

It's just a matter of comfort. Personally, I enjoy the ride of a classic cruiser with feet stretched out, sitting on my butt and arms out in the posture of a "C".

Some find this uncomfortable and complain it's too much weight on the tail bone. It's not bad for me but, works for two lane blacktop and mild, lazy, sweeping turns. Typical for A fella such as myself that rides a Harley.

My father in law has a Suzuki Volusia 800 and he doesn't like riding my bike. But his bike has very similar riding position. Feet out front, sit low, maybe the bars reach back a little more relaxed.

The point is, you have to sit on a few to get what feels comfortable for you.

Folks tour on anything from scooters to huge bikes like a gold wing. Everything in-between. And then you sell it and buy something different. Lol.

I agree with Nakkers first post. Buy your self a used vstrom 650. Comfortable, decent wind protection, decent suspension for those rougher roads and you can easily find one newer than 05 for your budget. In my experience, cruisers like the vstar have very little suspension travel (4 inches or less) so you feel every small bump in the road. Adventure touring like the vstrom have much longer travel so they are more comfortable on our bumpy roads.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I also recommend a wee-strom, (650 V-Strom). My riding buddy has one and tours everywhere with it. He added a taller windscreen, hard luggage and a top box. These bikes make a great choice for long distance touring as they have a range of over 400km before you need to stop to refuel. They are also extremely reliable and easy to maintain. His has around 100k on it now and I don't think he has any plans to sell it.

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw a 07 Shadow 750 Aero in white and all chrome. The bike look so awesome, wanted to by it right away, But when I sat on it. it felt quite low, and there was very little travel in rear shocks, Of course the guy didn't allow me to ride it. He was stuck at $4,700 and I was at $4000. I wanted to buy it but firstly it felt quite low and 2ndly it was so pristine I didn't want to buy and ruin its beauty because I don't have a proper place to store it. I will just have to park it out side in open along my basement door, with cover on it.

I agree with all the V-Strom suggestions, Haven't sat on one yet, but the reviews I saw and read make me thing that this might be a better ride for me. I am going to an 07 Vstrom 650 with 53K clicks guy want $4,000 for it, I wanna offer $3,500. I don't know if he will allow me to test ride it. I am planning to ride this season to test my self, if my back allows me to ride or not. So dont want to spend too much In case I have to sell the bike so i should not loose much money

I feel if Vstrom is maintained properly 53K kms are not too much on that machine, what do you guyz say ? I am also looking a 2006 FZ6 Do you thing that has reasonable power and good seating position?

Last edited:
53K kms on a Strom is nothing if maintained properly.

Seating position is relative to the individual....but there's a reason touring bikes have a more upright seating position.

I bought my Wee with 93,000 k and t has 120 or so on now ...long lived machines but what is your inseam?

OP- I am a new rider in Canada too. Judging by your handle (and also by your statement that you are used to stupid traffic in the past)- i am guessing that you are from a South Asian country. That's my background too.

I bought a 250cc cruiser because I am used to riding cruisers in the past (and the riding posture of a cruiser is the only one which would not leave me with a stiff back after a long ride).

I am starting of with 250cc mainly to keep my insurance cost low until I get a couple of years of riding experience.

One suggestion that I have for you is to try and buy something similar to what you have owned in the past (that was comfortable for you in terms of riding position).

Also, have you taken the motorcycle safety course? I am guessing you would be able to try different motorcycles (cruisers and other type) to see which is more comfortable for you. Good luck!

I have seen a 07 V strom a 06 Fz6, 2013 NC700 and 07 Shadow 750. But the problem is none of the owner allowed to test drive it even in front of their house. However the Owner of the Shadow was kind enough to allow me to ride on his street. It was definitely a very heavy bike and was difficult to maneuver I did a very wide U turn and still found it so difficult, so that is definitely no a bike for me at least for few years. If I go for cruiser style I might have to get a smaller bike. I honestly liked the V Strom, but still have to test drive it. hopefully some one will allow me to test drive it soon.

I went to Honda Powersport in Missisauga they also didn't allow a test drive. Any idea how I can test drive various bikes ?

Demo days, or friends bikes. Test rides are hard to get otherwise.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom