TD/Meloche Monnex will not insure Honda Grom 125cc | GTAMotorcycle.com

TD/Meloche Monnex will not insure Honda Grom 125cc

ndttech

I called TD Meloche Monnex today to get a quote on a 3rd motorcycle, a 2017 Honda Grom 125cc valued at $4000.

They will not insure this motorcycle and would not give a reason, except to say that it is an unacceptable vehicle.

Anyone have any reasons why????

Note, they would give a quote on a Kawi Z125Pro which is basically the same vehicle.

I am flummoxed...

I always said TD have their heads up their own *****

Maybe they were slow in actually adding it to their database, i.e. it doesn't exist to them yet

No idea about the grom, but when I called them about insuring a Ninja 300, they wouldn't insure it either. Super weird.

Maybe they were slow in actually adding it to their database, i.e. it doesn't exist to them yet
Possible but the grom was out for 2 years before the z125 and that's in the system already.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

TD bought part of Kawi. Only logical answer. ?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Possible but the grom was out for 2 years before the z125 and that's in the system already.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Sure, but as far as insurance is concerned every new model year is a different bike. I'm only speculating of course. I feel like you might get different answers from different TD agents

My experience has been TD has a call center somewhere and the people working there arent necessarily insurance or motorcycle insurance experts, if you call again and get a different agent you might get a different response.

Whereas if you deal directly with an underwriter/agent or broker USUALLY the info you get is more reliable and accurate.

All the agents with All personal lines insurance companies are licensed agents they are "suppose" to know the insurance but they might not be update with the particular insurance companies guidelines or policies, as in recent times these guidelines are changing so quickly
:)

All the agents with All personal lines insurance companies are licensed agents they are "suppose" to know the insurance but they might not be update with the particular insurance companies guidelines or policies, as in recent times these guidelines are changing so quickly
:)

uh....no

I spoke to a call center agent about bike insurance at TD, was a completely clueless gay dude who had never seen a motorcycle but "knew all about bikes" because "my mom rode a harley"

I HIGHLY doubt they are 'licensed'

I have definitely bought insurance from licensed brokers that sounded like that in the past

No idea about the grom, but when I called them about insuring a Ninja 300, they wouldn't insure it either. Super weird.
Really? When was that?
I've been insuring my ninja 300 with Meloche Monnex since 2014

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Really? When was that?
I've been insuring my ninja 300 with Meloche Monnex since 2014

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Beginning of April of this year when I was deciding what bike to buy. When I called, they input all my information into their system to calculate the quote and then said that they would have to mail me a form that I would have to fill out myself to see if I would even be eligible for Ninja 300 insurance. They would insure a CBR500r right away, but not a Ninja 300. I was not down to spend the time filling out the documents, mailing them, waiting on an answer from them, so I went with another company.

Didn't make sense to me either

This is a legal way for them to say they don't want person's business, Insurance companies try to make it hard for clients to get insurance if their profile does not fall under company's preferred criteria.

uh....no

I spoke to a call center agent about bike insurance at TD, was a completely clueless gay dude who had never seen a motorcycle but "knew all about bikes" because "my mom rode a harley"

I HIGHLY doubt they are 'licensed'

You've mentioned this before. Not sure how that's relevant to insurance knowledge or how you knew he was gay but it certainly seems important to you to bring it up.

Just an observation

Your reading too much into it, jus sayin

Last edited:
Beginning of April of this year when I was deciding what bike to buy. When I called, they input all my information into their system to calculate the quote and then said that they would have to mail me a form that I would have to fill out myself to see if I would even be eligible for Ninja 300 insurance. They would insure a CBR500r right away, but not a Ninja 300. I was not down to spend the time filling out the documents, mailing them, waiting on an answer from them, so I went with another company.

Didn't make sense to me either

They said this to me as well when I was shopping for CBR300 quotes last year. Wanted to mail me a form, I fill it out, mail it back, then they tell me IF they will insure me and what my quote is. I laughed at them and hung up.

One of the bikes I have had insured for years with TD is a 2011 Ninja 250R...

...and when I called TD and spoke with a different agent to get the Kawi Z125Pro quote, I also had him re-check on the grom and he said the first agent was correct...they won't touch the grom and recommended that I talk to an outside broker...

Small bike so not being seen so more accidents?
Hooligan bike?
Small enough that they are top of the theft list?
If any of the above pans out, you would think that the Kawi getting the same treatment would follow soon.
Crazy circle here: big cc bikes have high insurance rates so they introduced low cc bikes that they won't insure.
Hopefully it stays with just this one company.

Small bike so not being seen so more accidents?
Hooligan bike?
Small enough that they are top of the theft list?
If any of the above pans out, you would think that the Kawi getting the same treatment would follow soon.
Crazy circle here: big cc bikes have high insurance rates so they introduced low cc bikes that they won't insure.
Hopefully it stays with just this one company.

Catch 22, ****ed if you go high powered, ****ed if you go low powered.

I know cops dont enforce motorcycle theft, i wonder if they have a similarly lackadaisical attitude about uninsured riders? If so it might just be worth it to just ride without nowdays it seems lmao... Not leaving a lot of options

Back
Top Bottom