Age limit for Children to ride as Passenger ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Age limit for Children to ride as Passenger ?

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&BillID=2098

Bill 117 2008
An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act to prohibit the driving and operation of motorcycles with child passengers
Note: This Act amends the Highway Traffic Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History on www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:

1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following section:
Prohibition of passengers under 14 years old on motorcycles
38.1 No person shall drive or operate a motorcycle on a highway if another person under the age of 14 years is a passenger on the motorcycle.

Commencement
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.

Short title
3. The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Child Passengers on Motorcycles), 2008.

EXPLANATORY NOTE
The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act to prohibit driving or operating a motorcycle on a highway while a person under the age of 14 is a passenger on the motorcycle, with a view to promoting safety on Ontario’s roads and protecting youth from preventable injuries.

Aerostich makes magnetic-tank-mount onesies:

[video=youtube_share;ZSyQV-eiLmY]http://youtu.be/ZSyQV-eiLmY[/video]

Ah yes. Seems they've forgotten about it.

I believe it died when the sitting of the Provincial Parliament was prorogued.

That's a good thing because it was an unnecessary law that was basically created as a way for a mom to stop her ex from taking their child for rides on his bike.

With my kids it was reach the pegs, have a proper fitting helmet, long pants and a jacket.

Last edited:
As I took the off ramp and waited at the lights a motorcycle pulled up beside me. The passenger was a boy around ten years old with just a t-shirt and jeans on. the boy was trying prop up his helmet being way too big. he looked behind him and waved to a lady (mom?) in a van behind them. I couldn't believe it.
As dangerous as it is riding your motorcycle do you want to have your child as a passenger? I would support the bill

As much as I would love to take my little guy on the bike with me, I'm gonna wait till he's as big as my older boy. (He doesn't care to ride) That being said, there are harnesses and also a thing called babyride for kids.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

In the Motorcycle Course I took, they said it was that the child needed to be old enough to be aware of the dangers of being on the motorcycle. That's a super grey area, though, and I'm not sure that would be something that you'd be easily ticketed for, nor would it be easy to argue in court.

TL;DR: :dontknow:

I have a few family members who are officers, and it certainly is not law any of them seem to know about. I have been told that their feet need to reach the pegs, and that was the general rule of thumb for kids on the back of a bike.

I checked with a Police officer and he didn't know any law about Children on Motorcycle, however he advised me there is some website by Toronto Police where you can ask these kind of questions but I am not able to google than site. Any one knows ?

Yes I do

The law currently states they have to be able to reach the foot pegs and have protective gear (minimum is a DOT helmet)

my 6 year old rides with mo once in a while for a short ride. Gloves/helmet/jacket/boots all required so that we can go to Mcd's for an Ice cream or something...

Come on people, don't post on a thread if you don't know what you're talking about.
This was only a proposal. It was never passed.
Only requirements are that they have a helmet and their feet touch the pegs.

No age limit.

End of story.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&BillID=2098

Bill 117 2008
An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act to prohibit the driving and operation of motorcycles with child passengers
Note: This Act amends the Highway Traffic Act. For the legislative history of the Act, see the Table of Consolidated Public Statutes – Detailed Legislative History on www.e-Laws.gov.on.ca.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario, enacts as follows:

1. The Highway Traffic Act is amended by adding the following section:
Prohibition of passengers under 14 years old on motorcycles
38.1 No person shall drive or operate a motorcycle on a highway if another person under the age of 14 years is a passenger on the motorcycle.

Commencement
2. This Act comes into force on the day it receives Royal Assent.

Short title
3. The short title of this Act is the Highway Traffic Amendment Act (Child Passengers on Motorcycles), 2008.

EXPLANATORY NOTE
The Bill amends the Highway Traffic Act to prohibit driving or operating a motorcycle on a highway while a person under the age of 14 is a passenger on the motorcycle, with a view to promoting safety on Ontario’s roads and protecting youth from preventable injuries.

Are we looking for an age limit, or minimum age?
I know.
I'm an ass.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Come on people, don't post on a thread if you don't know what you're talking about.
This was only a proposal. It was never passed.
Only requirements are that they have a helmet and their feet touch the pegs.

No age limit.

End of story.

Legal requirement, this right here. This issue has been debated in the past as well, there are a lot of variables with respect to kids as passengers including the child, the rider, the bike, the destination, the conditions, the roads, etc. Be a good parent and don't put your child in a vulnerable situation.

My somewhat faulty memory tells me this law was proposed because a minor was injured in an accident. A nanny state minister proposed this regulation to save children from dangerous motorcycles and the law was never passed. Parents need to use common sense and ensure all kids are old enough to hold on properly and are wearing properly fitted ATGATT 100% of the time. The other thing parents need to remember is that irrespective of gear and all good intents........... motorcycle riders are about 30++ times more likely to be killed in an accident vs. someone in a car and do you really want your innocent and trusting child to be exposed to this risk because you enjoy riding a bike. That's the bottom line.

Back
Top Bottom