Solution to motorcycle thefts | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Solution to motorcycle thefts

I like the track idea much better than lying about a gun. Chances are it disappears when you're not there. Are going to lie about the suspect's description as well?

I like the track idea much better than lying about a gun. Chances are it disappears when you're not there. Are going to lie about the suspect's description as well?

Unless you have evidence that most stolen bikes become track bikes, this would only be semi effective. I'm assuming most end up getting chopped.

As for a suspects description, most thefts occur in underground parking lots, i know the cameras are garbage as you cant read the license plates, but im sure theyre good enough to get atleast a half decent description of the thief.

If you think that the vast majority of stolen bikes end up at the track I think you are sadly mistaken. If that was the case there would be a waiting list at track days. Also not all track bikes start out as street bikes. This might come as a shock but there are bikes that were never meant to be street legal (design as race only) and therefore have no records at the ministry of transportation. How would you suggest these people show "ownership"? Something needs to be down about stolen motorcycles and bicycles for that matter but I don't think random checks at the track are going to do anything to stop it.

When you buy a bike, you still get the ownership. I have a spare frame that I could use for track only (can't be used on street anymore) that I have the ownership to. If I sold it, the ownership goes with it. You don't HAVE to get it plated and insured to switch ownership. Even if only 5% of stolen bikes end up at the track, that's a potential 5% reduction with very little to no cost (assuming Wynne doesn't spearhead it, then it'll cost a fortune and nothing will get done). To completely eliminate bike theft is a dream, and there will not be a single 'act' that will bring this dream to fruition. It will take a series of small steps to lessen the chance of a bike being stolen.

This theft prevention tool is interesting. It's a steering wheel mounted taser. Perhaps something similar could be developed for motorcycles.

http://www.netside.net/~spyshops/Stunguns1.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most thefts are not ridden away, they are usually carried into a nearby van/truck/minivan then driven off in 30 seconds. Any disassembly, security system is usually disabled at the chop shop, far from prying eyes.

When you buy a bike, you still get the ownership. I have a spare frame that I could use for track only (can't be used on street anymore) that I have the ownership to. If I sold it, the ownership goes with it. You don't HAVE to get it plated and insured to switch ownership. Even if only 5% of stolen bikes end up at the track, that's a potential 5% reduction with very little to no cost (assuming Wynne doesn't spearhead it, then it'll cost a fortune and nothing will get done). To completely eliminate bike theft is a dream, and there will not be a single 'act' that will bring this dream to fruition. It will take a series of small steps to lessen the chance of a bike being stolen.

I understand if you buy a frame with a vin number it comes with an ownership. I am talking about bikes that have no VIN from bikes that were purpose built non street legal ever. Yamaha TZ250, Aprilia RS250 challenge cup bikes, Honda RS250s, Moto Guzzi MGS-01 etc. None of those bikes would have an "Ownership" per say just a bill of sale and if you aren't the original owner you will have a hand written note from the last guy. What police officer is going to understand that? I own an Aprilia RS250 and it has a stamp right on the frame that states for use on closed circuit race only on it. I have no "ownership" other than a bill of sale does that mean I shouldn't be able to use it at the track?

I think motorcycle theft sucks and we should find a way to curb it. I just seriously think chasing track bikes is going to reduce theft by exactly nil. It will only cause trouble for guys at the track that don't have ownership or god forbid forget it at home.

May not help prevent the initial theft but might help cops in tracking it and zooming in on the location of the thieve's garage and/or chop-shop.

https://trackimo.com/gps-motorcycle-tracker/

Easily jammed by the thieves, waste of time.

Stink bomb or smoke bomb that goes off when the bike is on its side and the ignition is off. Can be harmless smoke (I am not talking mixing bleach and ammonia here). Dirt bags will think it is on fire and will abandon the bike and van on the spot.

Can one not pass an electric current through the frame and shock thieves who are picking up the bike?

That might not be too good for the bike though eh? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand if you buy a frame with a vin number it comes with an ownership. I am talking about bikes that have no VIN from bikes that were purpose built non street legal ever. Yamaha TZ250, Aprilia RS250 challenge cup bikes, Honda RS250s, Moto Guzzi MGS-01 etc. None of those bikes would have an "Ownership" per say just a bill of sale and if you aren't the original owner you will have a hand written note from the last guy. What police officer is going to understand that? I own an Aprilia RS250 and it has a stamp right on the frame that states for use on closed circuit race only on it. I have no "ownership" other than a bill of sale does that mean I shouldn't be able to use it at the track?

I think motorcycle theft sucks and we should find a way to curb it. I just seriously think chasing track bikes is going to reduce theft by exactly nil. It will only cause trouble for guys at the track that don't have ownership or god forbid forget it at home.
The examples you gave really are the exceptions. R6, R1, GSXR xxxx, ZX-xx are more the norm, and lets be honest here, when was the last time you read that a MGS-01 got stolen from an underground parking garage? Furthermore, cops aren't quite as dumb as we'd like them to be, and I'd like to assume that if they did do anything along these lines they would assign cops that actually know about motorcycles.

Curious to know what your suggestion to curb theft is?

.......you guys are making this so complicated.

Just shoot the damn thieves!

I'm sure we can find a friend or two from America that wouldn't mind lending a hand.....cause 'murica.

油井緋色;2495852 said:
.......you guys are making this so complicated.

Just shoot the damn thieves!

I'm sure we can find a friend or two from America that wouldn't mind lending a hand.....cause 'murica.

more complicated that you think....

Anyone ever try the smoke bomb approach? Would be pretty easy to rig up using a model rocket fuse ignition. You could set it up to trigger when the seat is removed, or have it magnetically attached to bike and set to go off if the cover is removed. When you go to ride your bike you and only you know how to disable it.

A member here has an rs125 with that stamp. Iirc He has ownership and plated for the street.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Why not just have tracks check ownership? Lets be honest here, most of the bikes that are stolen are SS's from underground parking garages. Those SS's then become track bikes. If you had to prove ownership of the bike before being allowed on track, it would make the theft less desirable. I'm sure some theft would still occur as bikes are shipped in parts, or parted out locally, but it would cost the public essentially nothing and would help at least a little bit. Take it a step further and have an undercover cop at the track checking vin's. Anything stolen and the person gets charged. Again, minimal cost to the taxpayer and a better use of cops time than sitting in their cars at road construction sites for reasons I have still yet to figure out.

So most thefts turn into track bikes? And said bikes still have the Vin. On them? Really?

more complicated that you think....

If you Google it, there are many fine examples lol

Admittedly, none of them are in Canada. I guess the problem would be body disposal but I'm sure you can find a reputable service from the dark/deep web that has high ratings (not sarcasm, but don't try to find it, CSIS (Canada's CIA) may show up at your door otherwise).

So most thefts turn into track bikes? And said bikes still have the Vin. On them? Really?
I said most bikes stolen are SS's, which from what I've read, seems to be completely accurate. And at no point did I say that this was a 100% fix for a problem. Reread any of my posts and you will find I'm offering this as an inexpensive option that could lower theft rates. If you have the option to spend a ton of money on one big solution with no certainty of it working, or spending almost nothing on 20 solutions that each have almost no certainty of working, then I think the latter option is better.

If you have an option that is inexpensive and might work to lessen theft, post it. But be reasonable/realistic, shooting the thief isn't going to happen, unless the shooter likes prison.

Easily jammed by the thieves, waste of time.

Stink bomb or smoke bomb that goes off when the bike is on its side and the ignition is off. Can be harmless smoke (I am not talking mixing bleach and ammonia here). Dirt bags will think it is on fire and will abandon the bike and van on the spot.

I've heard more then once, of a bike being recovered using a product similar to this one. Just search YouTube. It's not perfect but if you are spending thousands on a SS, 100-150 a year to track it and maybe have it recover is not to bad.

I watched my bike get taken, these guys are all about speed, they don't bother trying to remove anything unless it's a chain, heck the bike I'm sure gets messed up also, it's basically dumped on it's side. I can't imagin, my bike was black and had no sliders. They are in and out as fast as possible, no stopping because the van is hot and/or the plates are, so minimal time on the road. No time for jamming!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom