Demo Rides - what to expect? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Demo Rides - what to expect?

nikos1965

I have never been to a dealership on a demo ride day and planning on going to a Yamaha and Suzuki demo ride day coming up in Hamilton soon. I dont know what to expect. Is it the dealers bikes your allowed to take out, do you ride in a group with a leader? Just curious before I get there what to expect. I imagine with large crowds there will be limits. Thank you.

- Factory manufacturer bikes for the most part. VERY few dealerships use their own bikes.
- Wear full gear.
- Most dealerships will require a full "M" to take out supersports.
- Rides are chaperoned by a group leader from the manufacturer or dealership. Groups are usually kept small, 6-8 riders or so.
- Pace will be slow to moderate and not overly technical.
- Have fun. It's a chance to ride something new, or something outside of your normal preferred type of bike.

Last edited:
- Factory manufacturer bikes for the most part. VERY few dealerships use their own bikes.
- Wear full gear.
- Most dealerships will require a full "M" to take out supersports.
- Rides are chaperoned by a group leader from the manufacturer or dealership. Groups are usually kept small, 6-8 riders or so.
- Pace will be slow to moderate and not overly technical.
- Have fun. It's a chance to ride something new, or something outside of your normal preferred type of bike.

Yep, and if its raining or too cold they might cancel the ride.(or postpone)

St Onge did their own bikes last year, and will probably do again this year(Kawis)
and GP Bikes

I would suggest calling ahead of time to see if the dealer is pre-booking rides, or if it is first come-first serve basis.

If they are doing first come-first serve, show up early, possibly even before the rides are scheduled to start, if there is a specific bike (or bikes) you want to ride. I've seen single bikes get booked up completely within an hour if they're popular, and sometimes they were bikes I thought wouldn't be that popular.

When you show up, they'll check your license and you'll fill out some forms. These will be some basic personal info and also a release of liability for damage. They'll ask what bike you want, and you'll get signed up.

When it's your time to ride, one of the people running it will give a pre-ride talk. This is basically just some instruction of how you'll ride, where you'll ride, and some of the basic rules. Usually it's something along the lines of: Sit on your bikes, adjust your mirrors, get comfortable with the controls. You'll be taking this route. You'll be riding in a zipper/staggered formation. Don't slingshot, wheelie, stoppie, or go offroad. You're responsible for any tickets you may receive during this ride. There will be a lead rider and a chase rider. If you are going to get stopped at a light, please stop as required, and do not just gun it to get through. The lead pack will pull over to slow down if necessary, and the chase rider will make sure everyone stays on track. If there is something wrong with the bike, pull over and the chase rider will assist. Don't do anything stupid, and have a good time.

Once you finish the ride, you can usually go and sign up for another. Some dealers are pushier with the sales than others, but generally there is no sales pitch following the ride unless you want there to be. I've only been to one where a sales person came bugging me afterwards.

I have had great experiences on demo rides. They know most of the people are just kicking tires, I have never had sales pressure. I think everyone above did a decent job covering what to expect. Just to add, rule #1 is always ride at or below your own pace/abilities, some of the rides can have spirited portions but they slow down to let everyone catch up (prior to HTA 172, on a ride near guelph, a group on a demo ride including the group leader passed a cop doing more than 100 over the speed limit. The cop didn't react, I have no idea why).

A few things I have noticed come up quite often:
1) I think every demo day I have ever taken part it ended up with at least 1 bike in the ditch, looped or low sided. Don't be that guy/girl (it's almost always guys).
2) Lots of riders take passengers. I don't think this is the best plan for a bike they have never been on before (especially when they step up to an SS from a small bike), but I have never seen anyone stop them. If the passengers opinion is important, I try to get 2 rides on that bike, the first solo, the second with the pillion.

My experience has been a little different. I've seen up to a dozen bikes on some rides with a lead and a sweep. A few have gone weill over the speed limit, and a couple into HTA172 territory. They have all waited at the next turn when the group gets split. I've had the fortune to never see anyone in a ditch. They tend to put the faster bikes in front behind the lead, and the bigger/slower bikes near the end. The slingshot effect sometimes gets way over exaggerated on these rides. Some riders have seem to forget how to ride, during the demo. If you have any issues with speed, or where you are in the order, then I'd let them know early on, before the ride. That's not to say that I haven't had fun, and I haven't purchased, or had a sales pitch on, any of the bikes yet.

prior to HTA 172, on a ride near guelph, a group on a demo ride including the group leader passed a cop doing more than 100 over the speed limit. The cop didn't react, I have no idea why.

He probably expected that if he lit his cherries the pack would scatter erratically and create a dangerous situation. Good information here though, I also want to hit my first demo day soon. Honda though, hoping they allow M1 or atleast M1 with MSF completed. It would be good if the do, because I'm not kicking tires, I'm actually shopping the phantom but I want to try it first.

Last edited:
He probably expected that if he lit his cherries the pack would scatter erratically and create a dangerous situation. Good information here though, I also want to hit my first demo day soon. Honda though, hoping they allow M1 or atleast M1 with MSF completed. It would be good if the do, because I'm not kicking tires, I'm actually shopping the phantom but I want to try it first.

I believe they will take an M1 for entry level bikes. You can call the dealer to clarify, as sometimes individual dealers scrutinise the licenses more. One Honda guy said he would let me ride the CBR1000RR with my M2 because I had some experience (long story), but the Yamaha dealer instead give me a speech about how the R1 had too much horsepower for me (even though I owned one...).

Check with the dealer hosting the demo. Doubt very much they will allow a M1, even with a MSF course completed.

Typically it's m2 and M depending on the model and who is hosting. Manufacturer and or dealer.

I've attended a couple of demos to try a cruiser with a passenger. But, I'm at least familiar with the model of bike.

I've seen some seasoned riders get on a machine they are not familiar with and really have a difficult time riding it smoothly so, they are typically slow and jerky. I leave some decent space between myself and those demonstrating they are having a hard time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with the dealer hosting the demo. Doubt very much they will allow a M1, even with a MSF course completed.

Typically it's m2 and M depending on the model and who is hosting. Manufacturer and or dealer.

I've attended a couple of demos to try a cruiser with a passenger. But, I'm at least familiar with the model of bike.

I've seen some seasoned riders get on a machine they are not familiar with and really have a difficult time riding it smoothly so, they are typically slow and jerky. I leave some decent space between myself and those demonstrating they are having a hard time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always takes some time to get used to a new bike, muscle memory and all

I like how BMW does it.

Go to the pro6 mosport GP track event, say "hey, I'd like to ride the brand new S1000RR", they prep it, have a brand new set of KR448/451's on warmers and say have at 'er. You go as fast as you want, test it properly, bring it back 20 minutes later, and a whole lot fuel less and say thanks. If you want to sell a flagship track/racing product, go to the places where those riders are. You can't even get a street ride on an R1, let alone a track ride, how do you expect me to be excited about your product?

You sell a track/race bike that no one can try on a track, let alone the street. If insurance/liability is your concern, I'll sign a waiver, no problem.

All the major points have already been covered. Some companies put the faster bikes in front, some put the slower bikes in the front, it's their preference I guess.

Best demo ride EVER was at Ride for Sight back in 2003 on a Buell XB9. I was there all day and did rides with Kawasaki and Yamaha. Everyone was passing the Buell tent without even looking. Sport bike guys were saying it was a Harley, cruiser guys were saying it was a sport bike. I looked at it and thought it looked like fun, so I signed up to ride the Lighting 900. The ride leader and sweep rider both grinned ear to ear and said that since it was the end of the day and they had only had one other ride all day, they were going to make my demo "fun". We flogged those poor Buells like red-headed step children! They took me out for a 50 minute ride through some great twisties in the area and we were really seeing what the bikes could do. I was actually the one who ended up slowing the pace of the ride as I had reached the end of my comfort zone. The other companies were only giving out 20 min rides and they were basically boxes (1 left turn out of the driveway, 4 right turns and then 1 left back into the driveway!) I was really impressed and thanked the guys for a great ride. I didn't end up buying a Buell as I was a broke college student and a new bike was not going to happen, but I really liked the bike. For street riding it was a hoot.

Another great demo ride was a Ducati demo ride from the old GP Bikes location in Ajax. I got a chance to ride the Monster 695 and they really let us flog those bikes that day too.

I would suggest calling ahead of time to see if the dealer is pre-booking rides, or if it is first come-first serve basis.

Good idea. I got burnt once going to an out-of-town demo day. By the time I go there, they were already booked up solid for the day

I did a Yamaha demo ride last year...
Some attendees were disappointed they didn't meet the criteria to ride certain models, but... Whatever.
If you have your full M you were GTG on everything.

I was 99% sure on my potential purchase, using the demo ride to confirm the bike I was interested in was "the one".
The ride was a mix of city-ish street, rural back roads and 400 series like highway over about 40 minutes.
Overall a valuable experience especially when your looking to drop a significant pile of your after tax dollars on a new toy.

I did the VOS Event last year for Yamaha.. Nice ppl to deal with..

This year i called Ready Power sports in Mississauga for Suzuki Demo ( Got Cancelled today ) and the first thing sales person on the line told me is, demo ride is for potential buyers only and you better come with that mind .. They just lost a sale due to that tone ..

This year i called Ready Power sports in Mississauga for Suzuki Demo ( Got Cancelled today ) and the first thing sales person on the line told me is, demo ride is for potential buyers only and you better come with that mind .. They just lost a sale due to that tone ..

Maybe you called for a test ride not a demo day.

Dont get it twisted, theyre all in the same business the stealerships.

I've had some pretty horrible experiences with vos also.

So you think these business are there for you to have fun on their products?
So you think that you are entitled to take a spot from someone that is there to BUY a bike but they want to try a few to decide which they will BUY?

Why would they lose a sale? Then you are not serious?
I bet you will buy that bike from them if they ended up having the cheaper bike. Stick to your belief, do NOT buy the bike from that shop, even if they are cheaper.

So you think these business are there for you to have fun on their products?
So you think that you are entitled to take a spot from someone that is there to BUY a bike but they want to try a few to decide which they will BUY?

Why would they lose a sale? Then you are not serious?
I bet you will buy that bike from them if they ended up having the cheaper bike. Stick to your belief, do NOT buy the bike from that shop, even if they are cheaper.

lolwut?

@mayoo

if its not a designated demo day most dealers are hesitant to let random people take their own bikes out for a test ride.(there are exceptions to this rule as i have learned)

Some dealers have specific 'demo bikes' that they dont mind if you take out for a test ride, but a brand new bike with 0 kms they probably wont.

If its a designated demo day, and suzuki is bringing their OWN bikes, and a dealer told me i have to come prepared to buy the bike, i tell them to go kick rocks. Demo days are precisely to have fun, maybe check out some bikes see what you like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom