Were my valves checked when my engine block was replaced? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Were my valves checked when my engine block was replaced?

JP0160

My motor blew at about 19k due to recall issue. They replaced my motor and rebuilt my tranny and all has been well since. My manual says a valve check is needed at 24k, which I've hit last week. I'm just wondering, would they have adjusted them when they changed the block? I "think" the head is still the same. I'm not much of a motor guy, forgive me if I've got some terms messed up. Thanks!

There is no way to know unless you ask the dealer who did the work. It's super easy to do on that bike as its a single.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Ahh, I just thought maybe it was one of those those that HAD to be done to complete my motor replacement, and hence was already done for me. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks!

If you received a complete engine and transmission assembly then you started fresh with a completely new engine which includes a new cylinder head, so this would have involved starting fresh. I remember your situation and this would have been the right thing to do ... but for some reason, the motorcycle manufacturers (all of them) are extremely resistant to handing out "crate engines". In the automotive industy, this would be done without even thinking about it.

If they tore down your engine and inventoried every part that needed to be replaced, and only replaced those parts and nothing else (which is probably what happened based on how the motorcycle industry operates) then the cylinder head wouldn't have been replaced - and since checking and resetting valve clearances wasn't involved in repairing the failure, it wouldn't have been done. If someone isn't paying for it to be done then it ain't gonna get done.

If you received a complete engine and transmission assembly then you started fresh with a completely new engine which includes a new cylinder head, so this would have involved starting fresh. I remember your situation and this would have been the right thing to do ... but for some reason, the motorcycle manufacturers (all of them) are extremely resistant to handing out "crate engines". In the automotive industy, this would be done without even thinking about it.

If they tore down your engine and inventoried every part that needed to be replaced, and only replaced those parts and nothing else (which is probably what happened based on how the motorcycle industry operates) then the cylinder head wouldn't have been replaced - and since checking and resetting valve clearances wasn't involved in repairing the failure, it wouldn't have been done. If someone isn't paying for it to be done then it ain't gonna get done.

This is what I was thinking. If they put in a new piston they would have HAD to check the valves, or if they put a new crate engine then I'm good for another 24k before I have to worry. Seems to me that either way I'm ok here... I'm gonna have to see what they say.

This is what I was thinking. If they put in a new piston they would have HAD to check the valves, or if they put a new crate engine then I'm good for another 24k before I have to worry. Seems to me that either way I'm ok here... I'm gonna have to see what they say.

I don't think you're interpreting what Brian said correctly. They technically would not have had to check the valves if no part of the cylinder head/valvetrain was damaged. You will know for sure since you are checking anyway

Exactly ... Going through the bottom end of the engine doesn't require resetting the valve clearances. The cylinder head would have been taken off as a complete assembly, left alone untouched, until being plunked onto the rebuilt bottom end untouched. Nothing involved in crankshaft/con-rod/piston/gearbox stuff requires anything other than taking the complete cylinder head off the engine and setting it aside until putting it back on again as a complete assembly.

Back
Top Bottom