Aftermarket Clutch lever gap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aftermarket Clutch lever gap

Leaky

Hey guys,

first time trying something like this on my own. thought it would be relatively easy. The brake lever was perfectly fine, easy install on that side.

The clutch is where I am having issues. No matter how I try the install it seems that there is just a gap and the screw wont sit perfectly flush.

ZGzwRqi.jpg

As you can see here there's a gap and you can see the screw not sitting right. Is there anything you guys can recommend trying. Is there a way to check that the clutch is fully engaged and not slightly disengaged because of this? I can pull the lever fully down and it does disengage. However I don't think I have the right amount of free play because the gap is eating up some of it.

Wondering if its just because I got a mismatched or out of spec ebay lever.

Bike is a 2016 CBR650F.

Thanks for any help

Had a same problem with cheap EBay levers ... for me it was the other side.

I've tried. Will try again, but even when its hooked off, with the screw in I cant close that gap

Then it's the angle of the lever and you're stuck with the gap. The cable is snug right? If so, don't worry about it if it's working.

Then it's the angle of the lever and you're stuck with the gap. The cable is snug right? If so, don't worry about it if it's working.

That's a bit disappointing. Haven't been able to take it out of the garage to test if its indeed not rolling at all with it pulled in, because of the incline. Also haven't been able to test if there is any slippage. Not sure I would notice slippage or not.

Sometimes there's a spacer for the (red circled) screw to fit through. There might be one still stuck, by grease, to the original lever.
If you used it...........nevermind.

^^ agreed. There's a stainless sleeve that bolt should go through that you need to transfer from your OEM lever to the aftermarket one.
Good luck!

Oh god if this is what it is then I'm going to feel like a complete idiot. I didnt even check that. Does the brake side have it too?

Looks like the screw is there already. On my RR the Honda manual has a spec for the free play in that location.

So I came home and took a look again. Even with OEM the screw is slanted a bit guess that part is "normal". The sleeve doesnt seem to be required, the aftermarket clutch is narrower to fit the sleeve. I couldnt really remove the gap, just going to live with it for now and see how the bike performs.

THanks for all the help! will report back after I test it on an actual ride around the block.

Are you SURE the brake side is ok? I have those same levers and straight out of the mail the brake lever was not ok, the pivot cup was too shallow, if I installed it as-is it would have lead to my breaks eventually locking up. Just double check to make sure that the depth of the pivot cup is exactly the same as the OEM lever, if its not take a dremel and grind it out (you can measure it with a ziptie or something). Mine was about 2mm short which is pretty huge. It can be a bit deeper, but shallower means your brakes arent going to bleed back into the master and will eventually lock up completely.

You probably also want to grind down the pivot point for the cable on the clutch side since again, straight out of the mail it was razor sharp, without smoothing it out it would have sawed through the cable eventually.

Those are great levers with about 10 minutes of work on them, considering they were 20 bucks compared to the pazzos which are 300 for exactly the same lever (minus those 2 design flaws)

Are you SURE the brake side is ok? I have those same levers and straight out of the mail the brake lever was not ok, the pivot cup was too shallow, if I installed it as-is it would have lead to my breaks eventually locking up. Just double check to make sure that the depth of the pivot cup is exactly the same as the OEM lever, if its not take a dremel and grind it out (you can measure it with a ziptie or something). Mine was about 2mm short which is pretty huge. It can be a bit deeper, but shallower means your brakes arent going to bleed back into the master and will eventually lock up completely.

You probably also want to grind down the pivot point for the cable on the clutch side since again, straight out of the mail it was razor sharp, without smoothing it out it would have sawed through the cable eventually.

Those are great levers with about 10 minutes of work on them, considering they were 20 bucks compared to the pazzos which are 300 for exactly the same lever (minus those 2 design flaws)

I'd rather spend the extra for a quality set than MacGyver knockoffs with inherent design flaws... but that's just me.

IDK. I own a legit set of Pazzos, and I don't feel like they were good value. Especially when my brother has a set of nearly indistinguishable knockoffs (I can tell them apart only because the machining on his is better)

Hey man are these the cheap Amazon ones? I put the same ones on my bike, clutch fit fine but brake side didn't line up, I grinded down the round part of the lever that went into where you mount it until the hole lined up... Problem solved. Works great. If you dont wanna do that, buy a set of levers for 100+$ which will probably fit perfect lol
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom