New computer first world problems | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New computer first world problems

Overclock the mofo, Baggsy!

Overclock the mofo, Baggsy!
That's up to the kid.

He's dealing with a couple of issues first:

One is something he ordered, that said they couldn't deliver, and then delivered anyways, after he'd reordered elsewhere.
To add insult, the delivery guy came near the end of the work day, stuck the post it on the door and legged it as we chased him down the street.

The other is the Windows 10 he ordered from Amazon, says that that particular key is already in use.

The other is the Windows 10 he ordered from Amazon, says that that particular key is already in use.

If it was one of the semi-shady super cheap W10 keys, it might still be usable - you have to call Microsoft and ask them to reset the activation on it. The main thing that they care about, and they will ask, is that it is only installed on one machine. I remember the actual phone number for this being super annoying to track down, Windows doesn't even mention it anymore

Ugh, I needed to buy a Windows key recently and couldn't find one on amazon that wasn't littered with similar reviews. I bit the bullet and paid an exhorbitant amount from CC but at least it was legit.

This went in a Ryzen 7 build. Theoretically, the cooler it comes with is quite good. I will admit that is is reasonably quiet, but I had a bugger of a time getting it to overclock without temps climbing (3.7 @1.2 V was ~83 C). Bit the bullet and bought a Noctua and now 3.9@1.35V is 61C and completely stable. I haven't heard great things about Intel stock coolers, if the kid is planning on overclocking you probably need to put a cooler in the budget (although some are cheap and effective like the cooler master 212 but they are louder than their larger more expensive siblings).

Last edited:
Phone number for Microsoft help popped right up when we clicked on the activate key, so they might have fixed that issue.

He finally got up the courage to phone Microsoft, and they found and solved the problem right away.

I have a CM Hyper 212 non led CPU fan on mine that works fine, and it's quiet enough (There are 10 fans going in the case), and the ones in front are the ones I can hear, but it might be too tall for his case.
He isn't planning on OC, so we'll let it ride for now. The last CPU took 5 years for the Intel fan to die, and an extra case fan filled in.

Next issue is getting an Invidia or Gigabyte Video Card driver installed, but that might have been because Windows Update didn't succeed, because of the key. Kid is downloading it now, but he's on a wireless connection which is slow.

He still hasn't phoned Vuugo yet though.

Ugh, I needed to buy a Windows key recently and couldn't find one on amazon that wasn't littered with similar reviews. I bit the bullet and paid an exhorbitant amount from CC but at least it was legit.

This went in a Ryzen 7 build. Theoretically, the cooler it comes with is quite good. I will admit that is is reasonably quiet, but I had a bugger of a time getting it to overclock without temps climbing (3.7 @1.2 V was ~83 C). Bit the bullet and bought a Noctua and now 3.9@1.35V is 61C and completely stable. I haven't heard great things about Intel stock coolers, if the kid is planning on overclocking you probably need to put a cooler in the budget (although some are cheap and effective like the cooler master 212 but they are louder than their larger more expensive siblings).

I wouldn't call the CM 212 loud, but I wouldn't call it cheap either. When it's on sale it's fine, but the normal asking price of $50 is crazy for something that's so old. The fan that the EVO comes with is also kinda bad. If somebody imported the Cryorig H7 I would recommend that, but there is the M9 which is a good cooler and cheaper than the 212. Link: https://www.amazon.ca/CRYORIG-Mini-Tower-Cooler-INTEL/dp/B0177GTTB0/

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the CM 212 loud, but I wouldn't call it cheap either. When it's on sale it's fine, but the normal asking price of $50 is crazy for something that's so old. The fan that the EVO comes with is also kinda bad. If somebody imported the Cryorig H7 I would recommend that, but there is the M9 which is a good cooler and cheaper than the 212. Link: https://www.amazon.ca/CRYORIG-Mini-Tower-Cooler-INTEL/dp/B0177GTTB0/

CM 212 Hyper Evo is on sale at NewEgg for $35 right now, plus a $10 rebate, $8 shipping, and a free anti static wrist strap. It appears to push more air than the M9i, and gets good reviews, but it's too tall for some cases.
For some reason the M9i is listed at $126.30 at NewEgg.

We'll wait for boxing day to decide on an upgrade or not. Right now I'm trying to get him to bed as the MS Update is only 20% complete.

Looks like you all are getting ready for some winter gaming.

The more fans you have the louder it gets.

The more fans you have the louder it gets.

Not necessarily. The ryzen build has 2x140mm intake fans, 1x140 exhaust fan and 2x140 on the cpu cooler and it is damned quiet. The Asus prebuilt on top of it is much much louder and it is only running 1 intake and 1 cpu fan. The key is to keep fan rpm's down while still moving the air to get the heat out.

Not necessarily. The ryzen build has 2x140mm intake fans, 1x140 exhaust fan and 2x140 on the cpu cooler and it is damned quiet. The Asus prebuilt on top of it is much much louder and it is only running 1 intake and 1 cpu fan. The key is to keep fan rpm's down while still moving the air to get the heat out.
Lots of factors involved, but I rather minimize fan use. I have a watercooler on my CPU & 1 intake & 1 out take. Me adding 1 intake fan did nothing for my CPU except keep the HD & surrounding 3C cooler.

Yeah, my rig has 10 fans, three input fans on the front, one huge top exhaust, one back exhaust same size as the fronts, one on the CPU, one in the power supply, and three in the video card. If I turn down the speed of the front three, it gets very quiet, but the red LEDs start to flicker. Son's case said that it came with zero fans, so he bought one separate, but it actually had two in the front, one in the top and one in the back, combined with one in the power supply and two in the video card,for a total of seven. It seems quiet enough.

Both had fans on the power supply.
First also had one on the Video card, unless it was removed.
Second had two fans on the front, and I didn't see a video card.

My old rig is actually noisier than my new one, and it's 12 feet away.

To me the above rigs are kind of like the Orange County Chopper motorcycle builds,
made as expensive art to be looked at and admired and not actually to be ridden hard.

That being said, if someone were to give me the same free expensive components,
I'm sure I could put them to good use.

I thought most noise would be from coil whine on the video card.

Back
Top Bottom