New computer first world problems | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New computer first world problems

I like Canada Computers, and if you have to return anything it's way faster than shipping anything back to Amazon/Newegg. When you say prices are crazy for GPUs, eh... within the last two months you could get an RX 480 for pretty close to two hundred bucks. Those are all gone now of course, regular 580s will probably drop a bit in a month or two

P.S. If your kid is actually interested in computers, let them build it themselves

I've shopped Canada Computers, they are near by. The issues with returns that they used to have seem to have bit them in the behind enough that they're better at customer service now.
One of the kid's got a "gaming" laptop there that had more than it's share of problems, and we didn't purchase the extended warranty. The logistics of shipping it back to the manufacturer were too much, so we took it into another shop.

I've also dealt with NewEgg which used to use Canada Post, but now might have switched to Purolator, and NCIX, where I can pick up online purchases at one of their brick and mortar stores. Most will price match each other.

Back in the day, people who were building many computers for others used to get a very good discount from the shops, I don't know if that's still the case, but some here might have gone down that path.

I like Canada Computers, and if you have to return anything it's way faster than shipping anything back to Amazon/Newegg. When you say prices are crazy for GPUs, eh... within the last two months you could get an RX 480 for pretty close to two hundred bucks. Those are all gone now of course, regular 580s will probably drop a bit in a month or two

P.S. If your kid is actually interested in computers, let them build it themselves

For sure the plan is to build the computer with him so that he can learn all of the inner workings.

What I'm thinking of getting is the following:

1. Some big shiny case with lights and a good power supply
2. Ryzen 1700X CPU
3. Asus X99E motherboard
4. 16 gb of DDR4 ram
4. 512 GB SSD for O/S etc
5. Big traditional hard drive for storage
6. Some sort of 1060 Video Card

Keep in mind that the 1700X does not come with a cooler. Also, it would probably be worth it to drop down to a 1600/1600X and put the extra $100 into the GPU for games

The amd 580 are supposedly overclocked 480 boards

Pretty much, right down to the exponential power usage increase. They have something enabled that the 480s don't but I can't remember what it is, and I don't think it was a big deal anyway

Thanks for the advice, that's what I'm going to do. Get a 1070 GPU and stick with a 1600 for CPU.

Do not get the Geforce 1070 unless you are running resolutions beyond 1080p.

Even 1080p @ 144hz is a waste.

If you want to run 4k @ 60FPS, that is impossible without a 1080 Ti. The 1070 is actually in a really weird spot right now because its a waste for 1080p, and not strong enough for 4k. Its great for the bastard child 1440p but very few people have them.

You're better off going team budget (AMD), and running that until your kid saves up enough to get the 3xxx series by nvidia.

Also, I double suggest getting your kid to put it together. Teaches a ton of stuff!

油井緋色;2499363 said:
Do not get the Geforce 1070 unless you are running resolutions beyond 1080p.

Even 1080p @ 144hz is a waste.

If you want to run 4k @ 60FPS, that is impossible without a 1080 Ti. The 1070 is actually in a really weird spot right now because its a waste for 1080p, and not strong enough for 4k. Its great for the bastard child 1440p but very few people have them.

You're better off going team budget (AMD), and running that until your kid saves up enough to get the 3xxx series by nvidia.

Also, I double suggest getting your kid to put it together. Teaches a ton of stuff!

To late on the 1070, it's inbound. Oh well.

And yes, he'll be building the thing with me. His b-day is fast approaching!

Is it crazy to goto Canada computers for this stuff? From what I see their prices are fairly competitive.

They have been awesome the last few years. In terms of brick and mortar stores, no one should be visiting places like BestBuy anymore for PC related stuff. The selection at Canada Computers is quite extensive, competitively priced and their weekly deals are sometimes awesome.

I'm still on a GTX 970FTW and have since upgraded to a 144Hz Asus monitor... but I'm thinking about new graphics card as some titles are only pulling 60 fps at max settings.

lE5RYtg.jpg

Shameless plug. Lights FTW.

Feels a lot less stupid doing this on a desk and computer than on a motorcycle or car lol

油井緋色;2502410 said:
lE5RYtg.jpg

Feels a lot less stupid doing this on a desk and computer than on a motorcycle or car lol

Slightly off topic, but did you ever see the cool lights that changed colour to match what was on screen? They priced the tech high and tried to get rich and I think failed in the process. They would process the image on the monitor and wash the surrounding area with similar colours (so in your case, you would have some orangish light off to the left and dark bluish off to the right). It was cool to increase immersion without a ridiculously large monitor.

Slightly off topic, but did you ever see the cool lights that changed colour to match what was on screen? They priced the tech high and tried to get rich and I think failed in the process. They would process the image on the monitor and wash the surrounding area with similar colours (so in your case, you would have some orangish light off to the left and dark bluish off to the right). It was cool to increase immersion without a ridiculously large monitor.

Haven't seen it but I could see that being really expensive to make as it'd essentially be a less advanced OCR (optical character recognition) device.

Luckily for us now, we have two really good ways for immersion: an ultrawide monitor or a VR device. Sadly, neither are cheap.

油井緋色;2502410 said:
lE5RYtg.jpg

Looks awesome. Specs?

Looks awesome. Specs?

Thank you!

Corsair Obsidian 750d (air flow version)
ASUS Z170-A
Corsair H110i GT
i7 6700k @ 4.6 ghz
ASUS 1070 STRIX OC
G Skill Trident Z (forgot what speed) - 32GB
Sound Blaster ZX

The main monitor is an Acer Predator X34. The monitor on the right is something I've had for almost 10 years lol

I may replace the RAM with the RGB versions (they weren't out when I bought them) just cause colors make things pretty! Also I'm desperately waiting for nvidia to come out with the 2xxx cards because the 1070 barely handles 3440x1440.

That X34 is sweet, I checked it out on Newegg.

I caved in and ordered an Asus GTX1080 from EBay a couple of weeks ago, it sounds like a leaf-blower but I've been appreciating maxing out the details on my favourite games. Witcher 3 and Shadow of Mordor looks great now compared to before with the 780.

I paid $560 for the card and sold the 780 for $180, so I can live with that.

That X34 is sweet, I checked it out on Newegg.

Samsung announced a curved 49" 144Hz 3840x1080 today for $1500USD. Interesting they didn't go for higher res (probably because it is so damned wide it would need to be 8K and cards aren't up to it yet).

They also announced 27 and 32" versions for a fraction of the money.

Samsung announced a curved 49" 144Hz 3840x1080 today for $1500USD. Interesting they didn't go for higher res (probably because it is so damned wide it would need to be 8K and cards aren't up to it yet).

They also announced 27 and 32" versions for a fraction of the money.

I'm keeping an eye out for the 27" CHG70, very interested in it. Personally don't really care for or need 4K

Edit: Then again... https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=119717

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom