New computer first world problems | GTAMotorcycle.com

New computer first world problems

Baggsy

Site Supporter
So many passwords needed to transfer stuff over now.

Hoping there'll be a price war when the latest video card comes out in a couple of months.

So many passwords needed to transfer stuff over now.

Hoping there'll be a price war when the latest video card comes out in a couple of months.

Tech is old the moment it ships and certainly ancient in a few months as the new item/video card will replace yours.

Tech is old the moment it ships and certainly ancient in a few months as the new item/video card will replace yours.

The prices don't drop that drastically. Plus if you buy any high end hardware, especially if its the first wave from an architecture that massively boosts performance (first gen i7s, Q6600s, Geforce 8800GT, Geforce 670), they stay relevant for an extremely long time.

Only reason why I scrapped my old computer was because I wanted to go from 1080p to 3440x1440 and VR...and that was 8 years old, still running everything at very high to max settings if it was rendered at 1080p.

Now if you're one of the crazies that are constantly chasing for the best.....well that's not very smart =P

油井緋色;2493983 said:
The prices don't drop that drastically. Plus if you buy any high end hardware, especially if its the first wave from an architecture that massively boosts performance (first gen i7s, Q6600s, Geforce 8800GT, Geforce 670), they stay relevant for an extremely long time.

Only reason why I scrapped my old computer was because I wanted to go from 1080p to 3440x1440 and VR...and that was 8 years old, still running everything at very high to max settings if it was rendered at 1080p.

Now if you're one of the crazies that are constantly chasing for the best.....well that's not very smart =P
Rocked a Q6600 + 8800GTS for 5 or 6 years lol

Rocked a Q6600 + 8800GTS for 5 or 6 years lol

I had the same setup and another i7 920 to run 5 World of Warcraft instances at once and play up the Chinese gold farmer stereotype.

I run a P4 still.... ;)

I hate P4s lol They're from an era where CPUs were bottleneckling GPUs...plus they had huge heating issues.

ok...so the P4 is the download PC and the kid's one. lol Still in use though.

Sold a "vintage" P3 and P2 to collectors before.

My 3570k is still chugging along @ 4.6GHz. Keeping an eye on the Ryzens, might spring for a new system in the late fall. Anyone got a GTX 1080? Thinking of replacing my 780, it's starting to have a hard time with some of the newer titles.

I'm using Ryzen as an excuse to run my 2500K @ 4.8. If it blows up then oh well I guess I have to buy a new computer

My 3570k is still chugging along @ 4.6GHz. Keeping an eye on the Ryzens, might spring for a new system in the late fall. Anyone got a GTX 1080? Thinking of replacing my 780, it's starting to have a hard time with some of the newer titles.

Don't unless you are aiming for 4K, VR, or 3440x1440. And even then, wait for next generation.

Geforce 1070/1080 run on the Pascal architecture. The Geforce 1080 Ti runs on the Volta architecture (next step up) and, despite being $1200~ after tax, is the best bang for your buck graphics card right now. It nearly doubles the FPS @ 4K compared to a 1070. The unannounced Geforce 2xxx series will be using Volta for sure just based on previous launch patterns. If the Geforce 2080 matches or beats the 1080 Ti with a price drop...well, we all win!

.....or if you're balling, get the 1080 Ti. I'm running a 1070 and had I known about the 1080 Ti last year, I would've waited cause the performance difference is far too big to ignore.

Yeah that 1080 Ti looks amazing but the prices nowadays are nuts. I don't remember top cards costing this much in the past. Need more competition from Amd.

Found a 1080 from Newegg for $620. Didn't think it was all that bad, comparatively speaking but I see your point about waiting for next gen Volta.

780 is still a decent card. I run a 3770 and a 780 in my racing simulator and it has no issue at 5760x1080 max graphics. I built this thing over 3 years ago, and want to replace it, but it I haven't had an issues related to hardware yet to warrant spending $2500.

Here's the current setup. I've got a 1050 GPU card in it for the time being, and I've since added a 5 TB Hard Drive.
KIZqCUDh.jpg

They claim that you can put two video cards into it, but it seems way too tight for that.

Last edited:
It's not unusual for Crossfire/SLI'ed cards to be right next to each other. Also the cooler on the bottom one will extend past the motherboard, but that's not an issue.

Looks good. What make case is that?

Looks good. What make case is that?

Storm Stryker.

The only issues I've had are the window is very thin & brittle (therefore has a crack in it already),
I would have liked to see more holes for wire routing with the small motherboard,
and the led case fans seem to be a bit of an anomaly.

I'm looking to build a gaming/coding computer for my little guy and yikes, some of the prices are crazy for GPU's.

Will probably get him a Ryzen CPU and a middle range GPU and then upgrade when the next gen cards come out.

Is it crazy to goto Canada computers for this stuff? From what I see their prices are fairly competitive.

Back
Top Bottom