Buying tires that sat but were never installed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying tires that sat but were never installed

Hudson

Looking at portbime tires online, ad says the tires are bought a few years ago but never installed. (Pictures show them, and they've obviously never been on a rim) should I buy or stay away?

How many is "a few", and were they stored inside in climate controlled conditions or were they allowed to freeze, and is this for racing or track days or sport riding or commuting or burnouts. That's pretty much the pecking order ...

What's portbime?

Proper storage is key.

portbime
portbike
sportbike

I think. Otherwise doesn't make any kind of sense to me either

Unless your saving huge don`t bother . How they were stored is the key .

Jeez my fingers are fat, yes I meant to type sportbike.
Have no idea of storage but from the looks of it, most likely an unheated garage and have been frozen in the winter. Street riding

Curious why having potentially been frozen is a big deal?

Most people's bikes spend their winters in unheated environments and the tires freeze of course.

Is it a bigger issue somehow if this happens when they're not mounted?

They age faster in extreme conditions. Sometimes the cold in combination with age can make the carcass crack.

If the storage conditions are unknown or questionable, I'd pass.

Curious why having potentially been frozen is a big deal?

Most people's bikes spend their winters in unheated environments and the tires freeze of course.

Is it a bigger issue somehow if this happens when they're not mounted?

Race tires (slicks) are degraded if the tires are frozen. The compounds are designed to work at the higher temperatures typical of racing conditions and go hard/brittle and are prone to cracking if frozen. Some tire manufacturers won't even ship slicks over the winter in parts of the world where below-freezing conditions are expected (i.e. us).

It's less of an issue for DOT tires where winter storage is an expected thing to happen.

My race tires live inside over the winter.

Race tires (slicks) are degraded if the tires are frozen. The compounds are designed to work at the higher temperatures typical of racing conditions and go hard/brittle and are prone to cracking if frozen. Some tire manufacturers won't even ship slicks over the winter in parts of the world where below-freezing conditions are expected (i.e. us).

It's less of an issue for DOT tires where winter storage is an expected thing to happen.

Aha, never knew that was a thing with racing tires. Thx. :)

yep....

though it's only happened on one set from the years I've been running them.

Race tires = Very sticky

Street tires = Not as sticky

Old tires = Not sticky, period.

I had a photo of a patch I put in an old M/C tire and you could see how the outer rubber actually cracked from the reaming and insertion of the plug.

The cost and work of a tire install to ride a slippery bike??? (Think about rain). I'd pass.

If you wanted to do the rear for a burnout it would be good as it wouldn't take as much horsepower to get it spinning.

Back
Top Bottom