Used CBR, $2600, is that a decent deal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used CBR, $2600, is that a decent deal?

itsmendy

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker here - my sister is in the market for a new bike and has found a 2012 CBR 250 on kijiji for $2600 (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...50/1248243299?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true) ,we went to take a look at it, and while it is in decent condition, I'm a bit worried of the fact that is has been up since March with over 500 views. I test rode the bike myself, it started up just fine, handling seemed normal, no obvious damage - am I missing something? Any reason not to get this bike?

Thanks,

M

Last edited:
pricewise its what you'd expect for that bike, they are kind of right in the middle of the range. If you like the scheme, just make sure whoever did (what I assume is powder coating) that its solid. if it starts to chip, its going to be a lot of work to fix/remove it.

Keep in mind, if they are having a hard time selling it you probably will as well. From the ad this is someone concerned with appearance, makes no mention of mechanical condition, maintenance or history. Frankly someone who can't even string a sentence together says a lot about how little they care about the bike.

Last edited:
pricewise its what you'd expect for that bike, they are kind of right in the middle of the range. If you like the scheme, just make sure whoever did (what I assume is powder coating) that its solid. if it starts to chip, its going to be a lot of work to fix/remove it.

Keep in mind, if they are having a hard time selling it you probably will as well. From the ad this is someone concerned with appearance, makes no mention of mechanical condition, maintenance or history. Frankly someone who can't even string a sentence together says a lot about how little they care about the bike.

Thanks for the feedback. The powder coating seems well done, but I guess I don't really know how to check - although it was not chipping. Apparently the bike has never been dropped before, and has no obvious marks to contradict that. The seller is a mechanic himself and claimed he'd done the servicing himself, but doesn't have any official service records. He has the vehicle permit, so I don't think it's stolen.

All things considering, does this seem like a risky buy, or am I just being overly cautious?

Where are the signals? Can't tell if it's missing the rear mud guard/lic. plate holder. If it's in the mid range of price it's not worth it. Repaint and missing parts just say repaired damage to me. Would have to see it myself to judge. Off hand if it's running perfectly, I'd pay maybe $1500 for it.

The one DeamonPig posted is more like it.

**edit**Looked at the OP again. Missing chain guard, grab handles, etc. Chances are it's paint on the rims and not powder coat(look for over spray inside the "hub"). Just cause the owner is a car mechanic doesn't mean he's any good or knows bikes. Most I'd pay for it is $1k.

Last edited:
As others have said. A repaint is always suspicious. Secondly, those colours obviously make it harder to sell, you need to include the cost of that future hassle in the price you pay now. That price you need to pay for that bike needs to be close to the cheapest one on kijiji that isn't currently smashed.

Wouldn't touch it, missing bitsa bike! Better buy on the Niagara one pointed out to you with optional goodies.

I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of these but are they the same model bike? It looks like the black one has a lot of parts missing, the photos are not large enough to show good detail, and the bike is all black, making detail even more difficult to detect. That paint scheme will make it really difficult to sell, but if you do buy it, add some of that blue up top to offset the stark contrast.

How is the license plate attached? What about turn signals? Is the front windscreen OEM? I'm not sure about the 4 bolt heads sticking up. Where are the passenger pegs? Carrying a passenger would risk their feet getting into the chain and wheel? It looks frankened.

If it has been sitting for a while there's a reason. If you like it and it seems mechanically sound then offer $1k. I'd not trust my car mechanic with a bike.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit worried of the fact that is has been up since March with over 500 views. I test rode the bike myself, it started up just fine, handling seemed normal, no obvious damage - am I missing something? Any reason not to get this bike?

Thanks,

M

Yes you are missing the fact that these 250cc bikes are a dime a dozen, they are all cheap and abundant and there's a reason for it; you will get bored after 1 week of riding it and would want to move to something bigger and faster. But since it's for your sister and girls don't need a lot to get amused, it's a great deal. Go for it.

***EDIT** I just saw the pic in the ad..... jesus christ that's one fugly bike.

Last edited:
Yes you are missing the fact that these 250cc bikes are a dime a dozen, they are all cheap and abundant and there's a reason for it; you will get bored after 1 week of riding it and would want to move to something bigger and faster. But since it's for your sister and girls don't need a lot to get amused, it's a great deal. Go for it.

Now you Gone and hit a Spot.:lmao:

My CBR300 with over 24,000km since April of last year disagrees with you! :cool:

Quick profile check on that seller.

http://www.apa.ca/2014UsedCarInvestigations-Toronto.asp

Curbsiders
divider.jpg

17) Curbsider: Jacob
80 Raleigh St.

416-824-1633
FAIL
fail.gif
2012 Honda Civic VIN 2HGFB2E45CH013971
Extra fees: $300 deposit for safety and emissions inspections

I wouldn't buy it. As mentioned, there appear to be a lot of parts missing and that colour scheme, even if you like it, is likely to make it a *very* hard sell down the road when you're ready to move on....especially when, as mentioned, these are a dime a dozen.

And I don't know, I get a "thrashed" vibe off the pictures - all from crappy angles without any thought whatsoever to composure, lack of details, claims "never dropped" (impossible to know for sure unless he's the original owner), etc.

Run away. There's lots of better options.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice, this community is awesome! We decided not to pursue it. Unfortunately, the cbr DemonPig posted is no longer being sold - so we're back to step 1 :)

Edit: Also, we got the UVIP, and it appears the bike was sold 3-4 times within the span of a few months, and the previous owner was an insurance company, so I think y'all were right about it being wrecked.

Last edited:
No mirrors, signals, bad paint job(to possibly cover something up), the rear seat looks weird...like its missing something

Id say its a former track bike thats been beaten to death and ridden hard....Pass.

Back
Top Bottom