Oil filter after winter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil filter after winter

Just completed my first oil change on my bike, but I did not replace the oil filter. I only put ~400 km on the bike last season and the oil+filter were brand new when I bought the bike.

I was wondering if should absolutely change the filter too?

By the way, it is my first bike.

Thanks!

How many km does the bike have? If its new you should definitely change the filter as there will be lots of shiz from the initial break-in. IMO there's no reason to put clean oil through a dirty filter, so I always do both. Should do both after a winter as well

Assuming it's not the first 400km on the bike ever, don't change the filter. Excessively changing the filter is objectively bad for the bike - new filters are actually worse at filtering than used filters

Assuming it's not the first 400km on the bike ever, don't change the filter. Excessively changing the filter is objectively bad for the bike - new filters are actually worse at filtering than used filters

Not sure I really agree with that one...once the filter media is primed with oil, it should filter as good as it ever will. Once it picks up anything then the flow rate will be lower.

That said, I only ever really change my oil either at the mileage interval or once per year (works out to between 7000-10,000km). When I do, I change the filter as well, even though the manual states every other change...it's cheap insurance in my book, and if a filter ever fails (like some Fram filters have in the past), the results are never that pretty.

The theory is that once a new filter starts to pick up particles, it makes the filter "holes" smaller. So up to a point a used one will filter better. I don't think the flow rate gets impeded enough to be an issue unless you haven't changed the filter in a many years or 50k kms. I change oil and filter before storage and then the oil only around mid season on an average year.

The Fram filter issue was almost 30 years ago and corrected back then. They still haven't lived it down.

OP was this your first oil change done by you or the first ever oil change? First ever oil change should also do the filter. If it's not the first ever, then you are fine. If your mileage is only 400km this season, change the oil and filter before storage this year.

Uhhhhhh
Sorta true....

but seeing how this is a NEW bike JP0160 has the best advice.
Replace the filter.

If you don't like that justification, it's also just a waste of time and money. A filter with 400km on it is still a perfectly good filter. Oil with 400km on it is still perfectly good oil.***

***If this isn't the break-in oil change(s) we're talking about, but

but seeing how this is a NEW bike

I don't think that's been stated. Maybe it's in front of me and I can't see it

Thanks for all the replies.

The bike has over 8000 km. So it is not the first oil change, but it is the first one that I've done. The owners manual says the filter should be replaced every 12800 km. So technically, the filter is still good (right?). I'm more concerned about the old oil that was is the filter...

There's old oil in all parts of the engine that does not get out when drained. The small amount in the filter isn't going to make a difference. If you're really worried, you could just take off the filter and drain the 200ml, fill it with new oil and put it back on. You do prime the filter when doing an oil change don't ya?

If the manual states 12.8k kms and you do less per year, changing it just before storage every year puts you ahead of the game.

Not gonna lie, I never replaced the filter but this is how I would proceed:
Put less oil than the recommanded amount (for oil+filter replacement) , let the engine idle for a few minutes, stop the engine, let it sit, and ajust the oil level. So no "priming". Is there any benefits?

But I guess you are right, the small amount of old oil that was in the filter won't make a difference.

As for Fram oil filters... I will use their Ultraguard line as they are actually decent built filters, but their cheapie line, well...pull one apart some day - AFAIK they are still using cardboard endcaps and a lot of plastic internals vs metal.

Considering how a lot of air cooled bikes rely heavily on the oil for engine cooling....extremely hot oil plus cardboard and plastic bits, well...I'd prefer my filters actually filter vs potentially (and unknowingly) coming apart inside and ending up just bypassing.

If you are doing an Oil change, change the oil filter too.

No need to think any more than that.

Not gonna lie, I never replaced the filter but this is how I would proceed:
Put less oil than the recommanded amount (for oil+filter replacement) , let the engine idle for a few minutes, stop the engine, let it sit, and ajust the oil level. So no "priming". Is there any benefits?

But I guess you are right, the small amount of old oil that was in the filter won't make a difference.

Priming the filter is when adding a new filter. You fill the filter with fresh/new oil and it absorbs the oil into the filter material. It makes a difference in how long it takes for the oil pressure to rise off the zero mark. Necessary? No. Just gives everything a tiny head start.

Check your oil level cold. If you run the engine and then top up, you could potentially be adding too much oil as some of it is now suspended in the internals and haven't drained back down yet...if you are setting level at the top of the range.

Put less oil than the recommanded amount (for oil+filter replacement)
Your manual should have both amounts. With and without filter replacement. I run a bigger filter than stock, so add extra oil to compensate.

Last edited:
Typically when I do oil & filter on the bike or car, I add enough oil to bring it up to the max line, start the engine, and run it until the oil pressure light goes out (typically 1-5 seconds). I then either turn it off or let it run maybe 30 seconds more, then stop the engine, and let it sit for around 5 mins, then I check the oil level again and add what is needed (since the filter absorbed some of the initial fill). Never bothered priming filters...seems easy to make a mess, plus there are pros and cons to both methods (low oil pressure for a few seconds vs potentially circulating unfiltered oil). If it took longer than a few seconds to pump fresh oil into the filter I would do it, but not with how small and quick it is on most cars and bikes today.

Also, when changing an oil filter, a few tips are to coat the gasket (if it is a spin-on) with a bit of fresh or old oil before installing, and although you'll likely need a filter wrench or similar to get it off, put the new one on either only hand tight, or hand tight with a quarter turn of your filter wrench. Any more, and you'll really regret it when it comes time to change your oil again.

Oh, and always remember unless your bike is odd, oil level is always checked with the bike level, and not on the kickstand, or a rear stand. It does make a difference.

You should always oil the gasket. You prime with new oil...same as you are adding to the engine, how is it risky to circulate unfiltered oil? The first fill of oil in a new filter gets absorbed, so no spill. Add more to prime as you like or not. To each their own.

You can change the filter every other oil change. But since it's your first time doing it to your bike I would probably change the filter for two reasons: 1) Get the experience of doing it so you know what to expect next time, and 2) you don't really know whether the previous owner changed the filter or even changed the oil for that matter. Skip the filter next time.

Back
Top Bottom