New chain | GTAMotorcycle.com

New chain

JP0160

I need to get a new chain, my bike takes a 520x108 O-ring type. My question is would it be worth changing to an X or Z ring type? What's the difference and does anyone have one they would recommend? I prefer a gold finish, budget around $150. Bike is a 2015 CBR300R, tensioners are at max with just over 24k on it.

I like EK chains because the ones that have the screw type links are dirt simple to install. SRX2 comes in gold, and is a good balance of modern & not stupid expensive (comes in under your budget)

Next chain I get will be the EK with the screw type master link. Haven't tried it yet. Realistically, of all the brands and types I've used, it doesn't make a big difference as long as you stick to the main brands. DID, EK, etc. For the 300 I wouldn't bother with anything above X-ring. How long are you gonna keep it?

I've ran through a few DID VX chains, been happy with them.

And they come in gold

An X or Z ring chain is an O-ring chain. Just a variation on the o-ring to supposedly hold the grease in the chain better.

Yes and no. They are seals, but the profile is different, hence the X-ring instead of 0-ring designation. and cost more....

X-ring_O-ring.jpg

What are O Ring and X Ring chains?

There are three principal types of roller drive chains: non O Ring, O Ring and X Ring. The non O Ring types date back to the beginning of time and are still used extensively today. They are strong, light, cheap to produce and relatively friction free but they do not have internal lubrication, so they tend to wear out more quickly. These days they tend to be used most on smaller capacity and Moto X bikes.

As motorcycle technology and power output has increased, chain design has had to improve with it. So for bigger and more powerful bikes, non O Ring chains have been very much superseded by O Ring and X Ring chains. These position a sealing ring between the inner and outer chain plates. Before riveting in the factory, the internal parts of the chain are filled with chain grease by vacuum. The sealing rings then have two purposes: to keep the internal lubrication in, and to keep the dirt out, thus vastly improving the durability of the chain. O rings were available first and the ring is literally O shaped. As the two plates push on either side of the O ring, it distorts to have two flat sides to its shape. This is great for sealing and great for most uses but it creates considerable friction which saps the bike's power.

That in turn led to the development of X Ring chains. X describes the shape of the ring. Instead of having an O shape it now has an X shape. This means that when pressed between the chain plates, it no longer has a flattened O ring shape but instead has two smaller faces touching either plate in an X shape. This gives you the same great sealing and durability but now with very low friction. The perfect chain!

and the Z is an improved X
subcat-chain-and-sprockets.jpg

it's only a 300, so an O-ring will do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom