Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Adventure

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
look at my tag line to see what all bikes that I have owned

2004 DL650, 2005 SV650N, 2007 Kymco Super 9LC scooter

Love sport bikes for speed and handling but after turning 40 and 50 this year my back and more my wrists don't like the seating position.

I loved my GSXR600, Bandit600, Katana 600 (3), Katana 750 (RIP my bad) but I found that an SV650 twin keeps me from wanting to speed all the time. Inline 4 just whispering come on go faster. As the Vtwin with low end torque just never cause this to happen.

The other voices just tell me to burn things :)

I currently ride a V-Strom DL1000.

In July of 2006 I bought my First V-Strom 650. I rode it until March of 2012. At that itme it had 202,500 km on it and I parked in my hanger when I bought my 2012 V-Strom 650.

In the end of July of 2015 my wife told me to get a new bike so I bought the 2015 V-Strom 1000 to replace my the 2012 650. The 2012 had 139,500 km on it when I sold it.

My 2015 V-Strom 1000 currently has about 77,500 km.

Basically I have put over 419,200 km on the V-Stroms I have owned. Since 2006 I have also ridden some other bikes on trips.. Honda ST 1300 in California/Arizona , Goldwing 1800 in Alberta/BC and a Harley Road King in Arizona/New Mexico stand out. All the bikes I rode were great bikes in their own way but adventure bikes, in particular the V-Stroms, are such great everyday bikes that they are by far my favorite.

For last last few years I have ridden about 50,000 km per year between commuting (160 km round trip), weekend rides, and longer rides (three bigger trips last year) V-Stroms just fade into the background and let you ride however and pretty much where and whenever you feel like riding. You don't have to fuss and bother with much maintenance, they look fine when they are dirty so you don't waste valuable riding time "cleaning" them and they are reliable so no worries about getting to where you want to go.

It isn't so much about the bike, it's about me, riding, and that's what I like about them.

..Tom

<---- left. Super sport because I don't necessarily have to wring it's neck to make it do what I need it to do... oh and great handling. Happy apexes.

Right now, I've got an old Buell that is fun as heck for twisties and wheelies.

And for my lady and I to bop around, I've got a Sportster that is looks like poop but, too much spent on upgrades to make it comfortable.

And I've got a itch to add to the stable.

Yikes!

da8bbbaad53945d9c516c354f1bfd1d9.jpg
e4d3c386486d478edb013b3aeb25e68d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a 1980 Yammy 650 twin new, had a 98 750 Katana 30 yrs later then waited another 15 yrs to get the 98 800 Vfr I have now. Based on my limited bike experience I like the vfr the most by a long shot, handles good and does everything I want well. I will die and old man with this ride lol

Sport touring I suppose.... 2015 Ninja 650, sat on a bunch at a dealer and this one just felt right, was also lightly used (2400km) so no boring break-in period.

A bit heavy, but has good torque and still can get me up to decent speeds if need be.

I'm currently on an '83 Maxim 750, but went into Dewildt Honda yesterday just to look for more gear, and ended up falling in love with the Shadow Phantom. Might end up with one of those sooner rather than later and sell the maxim to my buddy. Honda's "Come ride with us" tour has two stops in Hamilton next week, but if they're anything like Yamaha, they won't show any love for the cruiser crowd, and they'll leave the Shadows and Furys out of it.

I saw a pair of bmws yesterday.... looked almost as tall as a horse. My guess is the average person couldn't plant both feet on the ground with one of those.

Last edited:
Except this one

maxresdefault.jpg

Dakar has a 35" seat height.

Average male height is 5' 10 - inseam averg 30"

35" is a stretch as I experience getting on my KLR in Australia,

I have a good sag factor ;) and lifted boots for my 30" inseam.

650 Vstrom I lowered a bit and with the boots now fully flat foot..... good thing given the luggage for two. :rolleyes: Very popular adventure touring bike..

CBF1000 is a treat - small compact bike with adjustable seat height. Tour or squirrel...does both well. True sports tourer.

honda-cbf1000-10.jpg

touring trim
Screen20Shot202015-10-1220at20Oct2012202020202015202020206.44.0620PM_zpsigb5yhd8.jpg

BMW does have a good seat range choice especially for its dual sports.

Last edited:
Currently on a FXDC SuperGlide Custom. I've had 21 other bikes from standard, Dual-sport & sport, mostly Japanese with a couple of Sportsters thrown in. I usually keep a bike for a couple of seasons, then move along.

I find the Super Glide does everything I need. Comfort, power, reliability & I now understand the whole 'Harley' thing. I'm not into pirate gear, but I appreciate the bike. I plan on keeping it a while & I'm currently shopping for a small dual-sport to keep at the cottage.

Just picked up a 2017 Super Duke GT a month ago and my ole gal 2012 DL 650 Vstrom. Wont be selling the V, its just too good on non-perfect roads.

Adventure.

Because the best riding is hours away, and the country/rural areas of Ontario is where our beauty and freedom exists. Bike needs range, comfort and a willingness to devour dirt roads.

Adventure
2013 Triumph Tiger 800xc
95% of bikes are too small for me, I can flatfoot anything
The Triumph is very comfortable for a tall rider, fast enough and makes my daily commute along Kipling feel like I'm on smooth pavement (I almost lost teeth on the old GS500)

Back
Top Bottom