Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ?

I ride to relieve stress. Commuting to work is too stressful. The first time a driver saw me but still chose to get close enough to hit my saddlebag with his bumper, I realized some just don't care enough to pay attention. I can't control for that... so I don't take the chance. So I ride on weekends and always head north.

I find downtown drivers a lot more predictable that soccer moms in the burbs, I ride and drive downtown every day don't see what the fuss is about, had to go to Markham last week and was afraid for my life

OP - practice, practice, practice, the confidence will come. Motorcycles are dangerous, if you cant accept that risk its time to take up cross stitching

I did accept the risk when I got my bike. However, I am trying to minimize it, by not going out when and where it is probably more dangerous. And judging by some other responses, I am not the only one.
Of course, one cannot predict anything, but still.

I did accept the risk when I got my bike. However, I am trying to minimize it, by not going out when and where it is probably more dangerous. And judging by some other responses, I am not the only one.
Of course, one cannot predict anything, but still.

You can ride or not ride whenever you like, but guess what, when you leave on a Sunday ride thru Muskoka or Haliburton or any other destination at 7AM there is no traffic, but you are almost guaranteed to hit it when coming back anytime after 2PM via any of the main highways that take you into the GTA, so if you are scared of traffic and have never ridden in it, there is more of a chance that you will make a mistake and something will happen, same applies to riding in the rain...lots of riders don't, but you cant always control it, so the next best thing is knowing how to ride in it.

you wanna stick your head in the sand rather than develop skills that could save your life? go right ahead

Probably as far as mechanical operation is concerned. But track riding and street survival are two completely different things. Only way to survive and improve in street riding is to ride in traffic...and as varied as possible. I'm comfortable riding almost any road on this continent...or at least Canada and the US. Haven't ridden in Mexico yet. Not sure about riding in left side countries as I haven't done it yet either. Right side Europe, I'd be comfortable with.

Probably as far as mechanical operation is concerned. But track riding and street survival are two completely different things. Only way to survive and improve in street riding is to ride in traffic...and as varied as possible. I'm comfortable riding almost any road on this continent...or at least Canada and the US. Haven't ridden in Mexico yet. Not sure about riding in left side countries as I haven't done it yet either. Right side Europe, I'd be comfortable with.

Well, at least for me, I've never had issues with driving/riding in traffic. I've found improving technique to be much harder.

And as for Mexico...the bigger problem would be parking in the wrong spot and getting robbed no? lol

You can ride or not ride whenever you like, but guess what, when you leave on a Sunday ride thru Muskoka or Haliburton or any other destination at 7AM there is no traffic, but you are almost guaranteed to hit it when coming back anytime after 2PM via any of the main highways that take you into the GTA, so if you are scared of traffic and have never ridden in it, there is more of a chance that you will make a mistake and something will happen, same applies to riding in the rain...lots of riders don't, but you cant always control it, so the next best thing is knowing how to ride in it.

you wanna stick your head in the sand rather than develop skills that could save your life? go right ahead

reasonable answer, will take it into account

A few mentioned avoiding downtown. I agree, it sucks. But not because of dangers of traffic, etc. But because it isn't any fun.

I live downtown and learned downtown. Started riding at night when I was new so there were fewer "obstacles" to look out for.

After the first season of this, I just started riding to work everyday (also downtown).

I have to say, I would rather ride downtown in full weekday traffic than ride in the burbs. The soccer moms and weekend drivers are way more dangerous.

Having said that, the key is to always be on the lookout for potential dangers. I think downtown riding trains you the best. Besides cars, you got pedestrians stepping off the curb, street car tracks, street cars dropping people off in front of you, bicycles coming out of no where, random animals (skunks!), trains, parked cars, narrow streets, huge pot holes, construction vehicles, street sweepers, etc.

Learn to avoid all those and keep that training and you will be comfortable riding anywhere... Even the burbs... Lol

A few mentioned avoiding downtown. I agree, it sucks. But not because of dangers of traffic, etc. But because it isn't any fun.

I live downtown and learned downtown. Started riding at night when I was new so there were fewer "obstacles" to look out for.

After the first season of this, I just started riding to work everyday (also downtown).

I have to say, I would rather ride downtown in full weekday traffic than ride in the burbs. The soccer moms and weekend drivers are way more dangerous.

Having said that, the key is to always be on the lookout for potential dangers. I think downtown riding trains you the best. Besides cars, you got pedestrians stepping off the curb, street car tracks, street cars dropping people off in front of you, bicycles coming out of no where, random animals (skunks!), trains, parked cars, narrow streets, huge pot holes, construction vehicles, street sweepers, etc.

Learn to avoid all those and keep that training and you will be comfortable riding anywhere... Even the burbs... Lol

bumper-sticker-soccer-mom.jpg

So you're saying that I should get one of these, so that people will give my minivan a wide berth?
What do I do for those in front of me?

The only times I've had a rough time with traffic commuting from the downtown, was during the Exhibition, and once in the car when going six blocks on Front St. took over half an hour.

Another rider at work mentioned carrying ball bearings in his pocket, similar to smashing mirrors, it's for educational purposes. Some people need to be taught lol. I've only been riding for a couple weeks and have been cut off atleast twice. It just reminds me to be alert and ready for anything. I stay back enough to react, if someone in another lane looks sketchy I'm more careful of position, and at lights I sit back and to one side of the lane and watch my mirrors so I can gtfo if someone is coming up like they don't see me.

Don't be scared, be prepared.

Luckily Etobicoke seems to be a generally safe riding place.

Gag, cough, choke. The intersection near me looks so innocent but has taken more than a few lives and crashes are common. I just about got t-boned by a red runner.

Country = gravel in corners and Stop signs are interpreted as Slight Tap On Pedal

City = Taxis, street car tracks, steel plates and morons in general.

OP, what's your major intersection?

Another rider at work mentioned carrying ball bearings in his pocket, similar to smashing mirrors, it's for educational purposes. Some people need to be taught lol. I've only been riding for a couple weeks and have been cut off atleast twice. It just reminds me to be alert and ready for anything. I stay back enough to react, if someone in another lane looks sketchy I'm more careful of position, and at lights I sit back and to one side of the lane and watch my mirrors so I can gtfo if someone is coming up like they don't see me.

ahh the old ball bearing story, you will hear that many times in years to come, from many different tough guys, next time someone tells it to you ask them to show you the ball bearings they carry with them, i'd be willing to bet money they forgot them at home that day and will quickly change the subject to that time they "had to lay er down"

Gag, cough, choke. The intersection near me looks so innocent but has taken more than a few lives and crashes are common. I just about got t-boned by a red runner.

Country = gravel in corners and Stop signs are interpreted as Slight Tap On Pedal

City = Taxis, street car tracks, steel plates and morons in general.

OP, what's your major intersection?

Lakeshore/Kipling

I've been driving most of my life, and I've only been riding for a few years.

I am generally more comfortable in traffic if I am on my bike than if I am driving. Perhaps it is just the fun factor.

ahh the old ball bearing story, you will hear that many times in years to come, from many different tough guys, next time someone tells it to you ask them to show you the ball bearings they carry with them, i'd be willing to bet money they forgot them at home that day and will quickly change the subject to that time they "had to lay er down"

^^^

I'd find it pretty difficult to look for ball bearings inside a pocket while riding with an aggressive(target) driver on your tail with gloves on.

If you're (not referring to anyone here directly) someone that has the urge to smash mirrors and run away because someone accidentally changed lanes into you, don't come crying if that same driver runs you over and runs away.

You can't fight stupid with stupid and win. You'd be better off just going along your merry way.

Last edited:

Any rider who tosses ball bearings in live traffic needs a swift kick in the nuts.

Guys

I am somewhat fearful of traffic and being hit, thus I go out only Sunday mornings and some evenings, and mostly around Etobicoke.
I know this doesn't help in gaining experience and becoming a better rider, however there isn't much fun riding in traffic, and of course the likelihood of a collision is higher.

Anyone else follow a similar riding pattern ?

Oh and I am a noob, just got my bike end of last year.

On a separate note, any other noobs around Etobicoke looking for someone to ride with?

I'm a new rider and I live around high park. I boot around Etobicoke pretty frequently. I ride a 300 too so we are in the same class. Hit me up for a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom