Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ?

I commuted by bike cause it was the most satisfying ...and least expensive to boot. Beats TTC, and parking a car downtown was insanely priced.

I enjoy the ride from "zero" to moderate traffic. It goes without saying that empty roads, especially ones with a few curves, are enjoyable. But traffic volume doesn't bother me as much as inching along stop-go-stop or waiting for several cycles of a traffic light before making it through because everything's clogged etc.

As long as it's moving fairly well, I find riding amongst traffic almost invigorating. Maybe it's adrenaline brought about by the heightened senses resulting from dealing with "fight or flight" instincts. I'm not speaking of riding dangerously or recklessly but rather just negotiating traffic...

I will say certain concerns make me want to "get out of there", such as riding beside a semi; the thought of one of those tires coming apart and whacking me in the head or torso is unappetizing.

I've had 2 motorcycle accidents in the 36 years I've been riding, both times rear-ended at stop lights. This was BEFORE the cell phone era. I no longer ride in cities or in traffic. I'll take my chances with Bambi and the OPP. I don't take it to work (because going to work is no fun) only ride it for recreation.

I've had 2 motorcycle accidents in the 36 years I've been riding, both times rear-ended at stop lights. This was BEFORE the cell phone era. I no longer ride in cities or in traffic. I'll take my chances with Bambi and the OPP. I don't take it to work (because going to work is no fun) only ride it for recreation.
The number of chicks i see doing their mascara/make up while driving is also astonishing...(also agree on the riding strictly for recreation and not work)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Personally, riding comes with a lot of risk, and for most things, we mitigate as much risk as we can by using good helmets, always wearing gear (ATGATT), rider training, keeping a cool head, etc, etc. To me, one part of keeping risks low is to not put myself in a higher-risk situation, be that riding in icy conditions, heading out in a heavy downpour, and also heading into GTA traffic. Sure, if I get caught in any one of those things I deal with it, but that's different from dealing with it day after day after day, as eventually your luck will run out, and it WILL catch up to you, potentially by no fault of your own (eg. an unwinnable situation).

For those who say 'be a better rider' or 'traffic isn't scary', it isn't so much traffic, it's the drivers within the traffic. I rarely even bother to drive downtown (prefer TTC), given the number of times I was almost taken out in my 3000 lb car due to people on their phones who run lights, turn without looking nor signaling, or believe somehow their car and another can occupy the same point in space time as me or someone else. At least should that happen with my car, there will be an expensive bill (on them), but much better than being run over by someone texting or playing candy crush.

hey bud i just saw this thread but if you're still looking for a riding buddy in etobicoke give me a shout. i'm at 401 dixon area.

油井緋色;2493140 said:
I moved closer to work so I could save on commute lol Commuting takes up way too much time in our lives.
I think work takes up way too much time in our lives!

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I find downtown drivers a lot more predictable that soccer moms in the burbs, I ride and drive downtown every day don't see what the fuss is about, had to go to Markham last week and was afraid for my life

OP - practice, practice, practice, the confidence will come. Motorcycles are dangerous, if you cant accept that risk its time to take up cross stitching

I think work takes up way too much time in our lives!

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
This

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Personally, I've never felt obligated or inclined to take the Q.E.W. or 400 series highways much.

I went on recent mini adventures and was going to write about them, but one of the things i learned, i HATE highway riding with a passion....

Even with a highway capable bike and a stock windshield...for extended periods of time, the wind beats you up, and if you get stuck in the dark, the temperatures drop and you freeze your nuts.

And yes, riding in brampton is...well..need i say more?
Although the GTA in general is pretty bad....thankfully we dont have any good roads...for that we gotta to down to the US or further away from GTA

Of course then we could discuss driving in Brampton .....:rolleyes:

You most certainly could. However, I wouldn`t want to bore you to death. So many stories, so little time. I`m still alive. Everybody wants to race motorcycles. Not playing, have nothing to prove.

No matter what kind of traffic you ride in, always ride like everyone else is out to kill you. Don't fear it, deal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No matter what kind of traffic you ride in, always ride like everyone else is out to kill you. Don't fear it, deal with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ride almost the complete opposite of that. I signal my intentions early, but am aware that people sometimes act stupidly and are capable of making mistakes. If everyone else was out to kill me I would never signal, run stop signs and red lights, ride where I wasn't supposed to, on the sidewalk etc. etc. in other words, exactly as what we complain about.

I ride with a bit of arrogance, as though I'm better than everyone else, and have to make allowances for their stupidity and mistakes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom