Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ?

Since getting my bike on the road last month, I have ridden to work twice, and this commute includes the QEW, 427, 401, and the 404. It was a little nerve racking the first time but I felt I needed to get comfortable with it in case I ever needed to use the highway for another reason other than commuting. Having said that, I will likely do it once a week or every other week as the added risk isn't worth it IMO.

Is there a thread somewhere that people shares tips specifically about heavy highway traffic? I think it would be a great idea if not, because already I have implemented a couple things that I wasn't taught before or have seen anyone mention.

Here is a big one for me:

Passing trucks using the fast lane, I do not ride in the right tire track as I normally would, instead I ride in the left tire track for fear that if the truck had a mechanical issue(tire blow-out) or had to avoid something ahead, I would have more time to react if they needed to come into my lane. The same goes for cars that I am not 100% certain know I am there as I make my way through their blind spot. Although I should be defending my position in the lane and not being "inviting", none of that matters if they just plain don't see you.

I would like to hear others share a tip they use when commuting in heavy traffic?

more than 50 years riding and traffic still annoys me tho doesn't scare me...once in a while at night surrounded by transports I'm thinking WTF am I doing here but a quick run up the speed dial gets me clear. :D

I'm happy to ride with you - you need saddle time away from the GTA

Start with a ride to the Forks and meet dozens of other riders...chit chat ...then do some of the Ontario routes that Shane has laid out.
There are some good beginnner routes that were geared to scooters as well

Start with a ride to the Forks and meet dozens of other riders...chit chat ...then do some of the Ontario routes that Shane has laid out.

Also this^^

Theres nothing to see in the GTA really, unless you enjoy bad drivers, straight lines, and loads of traffic, along with the grey buildings and grey concrete.

right........the best way to get over a fear is avoiding whatever causes it

right...because there are no cars or traffic outside the GTA on planet earth.

right........the best way to get over a fear is avoiding whatever causes it

If it's a rational fear it's irrational to get over it. I can cite many examples but I'm afraid I'll look like an idiot.

If I was only riding 30 days per year, I wouldn't.

right...because there are no cars or traffic outside the GTA on planet earth.

you may have missed the sarcasm in my reply, i'll try and spell it out for you next time.................

OP, you already got plenty of good advice but I will also say this - do not look to ride just with other noobs. Ride with experienced riders who can correct your mistakes and coach you.
I know I benefited greatly from that when I first started 7 or 8 years ago.

I used to post noob rides on here, not so much any more but I may do one again.

Unless you live in the sticks traffic and the 400 series of highways are a necessary evil. A nice 6 day ride to WV or southern OH area starts, unfortunately, with the 401, then the QEW and then Buffalo......... About 3 hours until you hit a decent road. If you're heading to the Kawarthas, Haliburton or Muskoka you have 2 hours+ on highways as well.

If you just got your bike at the end of last year, then it's just about getting seat time. When I started riding I was also nervous about traffic and it was mostly due to my lack of skills. Also not riding for the winter months means you have lost some of the new skills and techniques you learned. To become comfortable on the road, I practice, practice, practice.

If you want to go for a ride I can give you some tips - PM me if you are interested.

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Unless you live in the sticks traffic and the 400 series of highways are a necessary evil. A nice 6 day ride to WV or southern OH area starts, unfortunately, with the 401, then the QEW and then Buffalo......... About 3 hours until you hit a decent road. If you're heading to the Kawarthas, Haliburton or Muskoka you have 2 hours+ on highways as well.
Ontario unfortunately

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Learn to embrace the fear. It makes the ride so much more exciting. It also helps you to stay alert.

I do not fear traffic, I just dislike sitting in traffic, and is only able to move very slowly, it makes my left hand very tiring. I don't know why people complain a lot about bad drivers on the road, I really haven't encountered one yet so far. Just drive defensively, try to make eye contact with the drivers around you, you can somehow know or sense that they know you are there. Try to stay in the same lane and don't sped

more than 50 years riding and traffic still annoys me tho doesn't scare me...once in a while at night surrounded by transports I'm thinking WTF am I doing here but a quick run up the speed dial gets me clear. :D

If you just got your bike at the end of last year, then it's just about getting seat time. When I started riding I was also nervous about traffic and it was mostly due to my lack of skills. Also not riding for the winter months means you have lost some of the new skills and techniques you learned. To become comfortable on the road, I practice, practice, practice.

If you want to go for a ride I can give you some tips - PM me if you are interested.

OP, here's the opportunity to learn with experienced riders vs noobs

I'm glad you are comfortable in the fast lane as it is the safest lane as long as you are willing to keep up with traffic.
Leftish tire track is okay as long as you keep your space and allows a jog to shoulder if traffic slows quickly.
Keep your eyes on the rear view mirror...anyone tailgating...lose them by moving over.

Finding a vehicle you can see through to traffic ahead and tracking that at a distance that does not invite others to cut in will keep your heartbeat down.

Noise control is important....the big highways are heliish violent and noisy from a buffeting and flat out noise standard so good ear plugs are a must and will also keep your heart rate down and you relaxed. Safest speed is slightly above traffic speed ...if you move exactly at traffic speed you become invisible to other drivers near you. Moving a bit relative to them keeps them aware of you.

If you can see other drivers in their mirror they can see you....stay out of blind spots....one reason the left lane is better as you only have one side to deal with.

You have to get past the fear of trucks ...just move past them quickly - Ontario used to have a real problem with flying wheels but 80% was one company and that's been dealt with.

You do need to keep an eye out for debris like tire carcasses but anything significant is cleared up pretty quick on the majors and you will see traffic slow ......one reason to have a see through vehicle in front of you.

If it's a very windy day ...you need to be careful of vortices off the rear corner of transports - can give you a startle big time....double trailers even worse. Usually the left lane is less prone to heavy turbulence off trucks.

Look ...commuting in rush hour in the GTA is a trial so don't diss yourself too much about being nervous.
Even Shane hates the slab ...and slab in high speed traffic which can get to 140 + in the GTA is some of the worst in North America as the 401 is the heaviest commercial traffic in North America....you really get a sense of it at night.

At this point in your riding...kudos for attempting to commute that route.
Take the care.
Get out of the city weekends and evenings.
You are getting into long daylight hours and the same highway that is a terror in rush hour is an easy ride at 9 pm. Well lit and little animal risk.

The GOOD thing about the 400 series is they are escape routes.

Not sure how far west you are on the QEW but there are a few secondary road escape routes I can point you to tho they are getting crowded with all the home construction.

You do need saddle time ....commute the car, hop the bike when you get home.

BTW OP ...list your bike as advice changes a bit with seating position and available power.

Last edited:
First time on highway was fakking scary. It was a windy day too. I had my 2 buddies on 600s who were following me (to let me go at my pace). Time has passed by so much since then.

A lot more confident. A lot of close calls. And by riding in traffic you develop some kind of sense of what people are gonna do. Some cues in how vehicle is positioned, or a hand movement you might see in the window..your brain picks up on that.

It's only my 3rd season...about 26k km in, commute daily, do about 1-2 long trips per year (like 1k km +) and a few longer rides up north with friends on and off road... and i've stopped 8+ people group rides in general... so i'd say i'm an intermediate rider.

Even then i still follow the following rules:

- Cagers can't see you
- If they see you, they're out to get you
- Be courteous, but in control.

And when riding with others
- Ride your own freaking ride
- They'll wait for you, no need to put yourself in danger or not respect the law
- Keep groups small-ish

Yep. When I first starting riding I would go out after 9pm. Fewer cars, cooler temperatures and less stop and go at traffic lights made my rides more enjoyable and the confidence to start riding in rush hour traffic.

Go at your own pace, gradually ride in more traffic to build confidence.

Life is not a race, but a journey.

Ride safe!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom