Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who rides too seldom due to fear of traffic ?

zheka130

Guys

I am somewhat fearful of traffic and being hit, thus I go out only Sunday mornings and some evenings, and mostly around Etobicoke.
I know this doesn't help in gaining experience and becoming a better rider, however there isn't much fun riding in traffic, and of course the likelihood of a collision is higher.

Anyone else follow a similar riding pattern ?

Oh and I am a noob, just got my bike end of last year.

On a separate note, any other noobs around Etobicoke looking for someone to ride with?

Riding in traffic is like being a pinball, wizard. Ride where there is no traffic.

Guys

I am somewhat fearful of traffic and being hit, thus I go out only Sunday mornings and some evenings, and mostly around Etobicoke.
I know this doesn't help in gaining experience and becoming a better rider, however there isn't much fun riding in traffic, and of course the likelihood of a collision is higher.

Anyone else follow a similar riding pattern ?

Oh and I am a noob, just got my bike end of last year.

On a separate note, any other noobs around Etobicoke looking for someone to ride with?

If you're afraid of traffic, leave during non-rush hour times. Grab a bite to eat or something.

Although it seems like riding and learning with a noob to accompany you is a great idea, it really isn't. You'd likely be focusing on the other rider and picking up on each others bad habits. Better off riding with someone with more experience willing to direct you in the right direction, get a bit of seat time to learn on your own first, or take a course.
If you're not a level headed person(not saying you aren't), and feel the need to impress others, you're also more likely to get yourself into trouble.

I've been riding for almost 6 years, with 2 years being nearly race track only. The more skilled I got, the less I wanted to be near traffic. At this point my motorcycle is hobby vehicle and never used for commute. I rarely go downtown and will turn around as soon as I see traffic. I would rather be hit with a thunderstorm or snow squall than ride through traffic.

So no, you aren't alone.

油井緋色;2493132 said:
I've been riding for almost 6 years, with 2 years being nearly race track only. The more skilled I got, the less I wanted to be near traffic. At this point my motorcycle is hobby vehicle and never used for commute. I rarely go downtown and will turn around as soon as I see traffic. I would rather be hit with a thunderstorm or snow squall than ride through traffic.

So no, you aren't alone.

There's no traffic downtown at 1AM - just drunk drivers and taxies.

There's no traffic downtown at 1AM - just drunk drivers and taxies.

I still hate going downtown. Intersections everywhere, street car tracks, aggressive dipshits, dumbass riders who are only there to ride at 20km/h while bouncing off redline.

........**** I must sound like a grandpa lol

油井緋色;2493135 said:
I still hate going downtown. Intersections everywhere, street car tracks, aggressive dipshits, dumbass riders who are only there to ride at 20km/h while bouncing off redline.

Get off my lawn!

I got used to it on my 30km commute. Saves 45min-1hr compared to driving or taking transit (HOV ftw).

As you get more seat time, you will realize you ALWAYS need to be aware if traffic and ALL vehicles in your vicinity. But you shouldn't "be afraid" of traffic. It is inevitable at some points your going to have to ride in traffic.

As for only going out on Sunday mornings and evenings. During evening hours your less visible. After 35 years or riding, last May24 weekend, I was taken down by a goose, that flew, (attack mode), into my bike, at 7 AM on the holiday Monday. There was NO other traffic around. Thankfully there was a pedestrian, out for an early morning stroll, to call 911 for me. With my broken ankle and collarbone, (same side), it took me about 4 minutes just to drag myself to the side of the road, so I wouldn't get hit if someone came along not paying attention.

Yes, the goose was apparently uninjured..lol

As for only going out on Sunday mornings and evenings. During evening hours your less visible. After 35 years or riding, last May24 weekend, I was taken down by a goose, that flew, (attack mode), into my bike, at 7 AM on the holiday Monday. There was NO other traffic around. Thankfully there was a pedestrian, out for an early morning stroll, to call 911 for me. With my broken ankle and collarbone, (same side), it took me about 4 minutes just to drag myself to the side of the road, so I wouldn't get hit if someone came along not paying attention.

Yes, the goose was apparently uninjured..lol

LMAO

On one of my first group rides, the leader collected a seagull but he was fine, and the bike just had some blood/feathers.

EDIT: actually, relevant to geese...

A few years ago I was practicing slow speed cornering in a tight industrial area. A goose appeared on my apex, I straightened up, revved at it...and instead of flying it away, it ****ing honked at me.

Last edited:
Get off my lawn!

I got used to it on my 30km commute. Saves 45min-1hr compared to driving or taking transit (HOV ftw).

I moved closer to work so I could save on commute lol Commuting takes up way too much time in our lives.

油井緋色;2493132 said:

So no, you aren't alone.
This

油井緋色;2493135 said:

And this.

Sharing the road with cars is an inevitable part of riding that you have to get used to, but you can still be smart, plan ahead and avoid annoying/dangerous situations. (like avoiding downtown toronto, theres nothing to ****ing see anyway)

油井緋色;2493139 said:
LMAO

On one of my first group rides, the leader collected a seagull but he was fine, and the bike just had some blood/feathers.

EDIT: actually, relevant to geese...

A few years ago I was practicing slow speed cornering in a tight industrial area. A goose appeared on my apex, I straightened up, revved at it...and instead of flying it away, it ****ing honked at me.
All your favorite things in one picture.

35080666.jpg

I ride too seldom because of kids. They just take all of your time and money.

Put in the seat time and you will get used to it. No need to rush. If going on Sunday morning works for you, then so be it. Everyone is different. I started riding downtown, never considered traffic as anything other than obstacles to watch out for. 2nd year of riding I rode To BC and down to LA and back. Lane splitting on LA freeways will keep you awake.

Only my second year riding, but I mostly ride in traffic. I don't find it so bad.

Of course it was scary the first few times, but I don't think there is any way to break the fear other than just doing it. Never been to the track, but I read a couple of David Hough books for safety strategy and took the intermediate Total Control to improve my riding technique.

I ride an upright naked, which I guess has better visibility and maneuverability than say a sport bike or cruiser though.

As for the car drivers, I worry more about the weekend crowd than the daily commuters.

I ride in south Etobicoke =)

When i was 18, my boyfriend at that time died on a bike so you can imagine how afraid I was of bikes, speed, being hit, etc.
The following things helped me a lot:

1. remember that bikes are as dangerous as you make them. As long as you are proactive, you should be fine.
2. try things that scare you anyways. I put myself on a highway during my second day of riding and rode to the next exit. Then repeated. And again.
3. trust your skills and your bike. Bikes do three things perfectly: accelerate, lean and brake (not necessarily at the same time tho). And you know how to do all three.

So as long as you believe in these three things, I am sure you will be fine. And yeah, it's normal not to be super relaxed and stay alert while riding. I read somewhere that the moment you start feeling super comfortable with riding is when your chances to crash get higher, since you aren't that concentrated anymore.

Good Luck and ride safe!

I started riding a 250cc in October through Manhattan. First at night. Then in the day in traffic. I stopped being afraid but it continued to. E annoying. Then one day I left Manhattan to ride in New Jersey, on pseudo highways and got to feel the bike properly without much traffic. I ended up trading in the 250 for something bigger so that I would plan to ride outside of the city and actually enjoy my rides.

Am I afraid of traffic. No. Do I find it annoying. Hell yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom