Can you drive with a side mount tailgate open? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can you drive with a side mount tailgate open?

If you really need AWD and a manual then just get a Vanagon Syncro and be done with it.
Thanks. Been looking for one!

If you really need AWD and a manual then just get a Vanagon Syncro and be done with it.

Syncro is on demand. Not really AWD per se.

Are there any new SUVs made that have separate opening glass and upward hinged tailgate anymore? I have the older style Ford Escape and this is really useful with dogs. We put the leads on through the glass hatch first then open the tailgate after feeding the lead under the bottom to stop them running into traffic. Was also good with buying lumber.

Toyota Sienna has awd option.

Manual ?

Better off searching for unicorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you'll find toyota sienna vans with a manual transmission sold in a lot of markets except North America. Lot of manuals availble in many models , we just dont see it here.

Sorry it's the highlander.

Also saw a Tuscan today that had hinges at top, check into hyundai. My Santa Fe doesn't but I liked it too on my old Mazda Tribute

Lots of them open to the top... Just asking about the side ones to see what my options are.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to drive with the rear hatch open if I had to. I would just make sure it's secured well before driving off. It's not so much the weight of the gate that would concern me but how wildly it could swing if left unsecured.

You can stab someone with a banana but a knife would probably be better.

OP, I think you need a truck, not an SUV,

Correct.

Honda Ridgeline. 4wd, still seats 4-5, and you have the option to swing the tailgate down or out.

As for manual? nobody really cares about those anymore, and you'll get better resale with an automatic.

The new Ridgeline is so ugly it's not even funny. I honestly can't believe that Honda actually brought that to market.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The new Ridgeline is so ugly it's not even funny. I honestly can't believe that Honda actually brought that to market.

I think that you're going too easy on them.
They took what looked like a great truck and turned it into.....well, I can't even explain it. Kinda reminds me of the (guessing ) Subaru Baja?
But 100x worse.

And Sunny, the OP cares about manual, so offering him automatic options.
It's like me looking for ice cream and you offering Sorbet. ?

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I think that you're going too easy on them.
They took what looked like a great truck and turned it into.....well, I can't even explain it. Kinda reminds me of the (guessing ) Subaru Baja?
But 100x worse.

It's like me looking for ice cream and you offering Sorbet. ?

It looks like the subaru mated with a mid 90's s10 from Chevy. The old Ridgeline was nice looking imo.

It looks like the subaru mated with a mid 90's s10 from Chevy. The old Ridgeline was nice looking imo.

Yes! The mid 80s S10 was exactly what I thought when I first laid eyes on it.
Yes, the old Ridgeline (and Pilot ) much nicer than this new incarnation.

It's like me looking for ice cream and you offering Sorbet.

Sunny doesn't care. All that matters is that it's a Honda. Owner desires, requirements, or butt-ugly appearance is irrelevant.

Anyhow OP...why the absolute requirement for AWD? Are you regularly traveling into conditions where it's of legitimate benefit (IE, driving on a lot of unplowed country roads in the winter, etc?) or something?

Reason I ask is that....AWD is a fuel milage killer all year round, when in reality you only benefit from it a handful of times in the winter. If this is just a city car that never leaves asphalt for the most part, a good set of quality snow tires will yield excellent results in poor conditions while still yielding better MPG in the winter, and MUCH better MPG in the summer vs an AWD.

Sunny doesn't care. All that matters is that it's a Honda. Owner desires, requirements, or butt-ugly appearance is irrelevant.

Anyhow OP...why the absolute requirement for AWD? Are you regularly traveling into conditions where it's of legitimate benefit (IE, driving on a lot of unplowed country roads in the winter, etc?) or something?

Reason I ask is that....AWD is a fuel milage killer all year round, when in reality you only benefit from it a handful of times in the winter. If this is just a city car that never leaves asphalt for the most part, a good set of quality snow tires will yield excellent results in poor conditions while still yielding better MPG in the winter, and MUCH better MPG in the summer vs an AWD.
Agreed. We've looked at awd options before but with fuel and maintenance costs it didn't seem worth it. I live in Barrie and have always been fine in 2wd vehicles.

My Magnum is AWD - I didn't spec it that way (I was hardly the first owner), but got it that way.

Sure, it was helpful (hardly essential, IMHO) in past snowfalls even with just all season tires on, but it stinks paying a fuel penalty the 99.9% of the year it's useless - do you really need AWD on a hot july day with sunny dry conditions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom