Can you drive with a side mount tailgate open? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can you drive with a side mount tailgate open?

unL33T

In the market for a replacement vehicle. Looking at SUVs. Some of them have a side mount tailgate rather than an upward-opening hatch.

If you have long items to transport can you drive with the rear tailgate open like you can with a normal hatch? Seems like a lot of weight on the hinge.

I asked Suzuki (one vehicle I was considering is a Grand Vitara) but they just told me it's not safe to operate any vehicle in that manner. I've probably done it in every vehicle I've owned and several of my parents' vehicles as well so I don't buy that answer. A bunch of the older CRV, Rav4, and Land Rover models are like this, too.

Google isn't helping me. I probably just don't know what to search for.

Thanks!

Never been a fan of the side hinged rear hatch. Are any newer models even equipped?

I think with the older CRV, the glass could flip open separate from the tail gate.

I had a 2010 Escape that had separate glass opening in addition to the top hinged tail gate. Worked like a charm and found it one of the better small SUV before the redesign which may look better but, utility wise, is less.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Even for a few blocks from the HD or Lowes.

Drop down tail gate or top hinged hatch would be the only design I'd let something hang out and tie down closed.

The Mazda 5 I'm driving now, is ok with the hatch up but, I also installed roof cross rails and just secure things up top to get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the market for a replacement vehicle. Looking at SUVs. Some of them have a side mount tailgate rather than an upward-opening hatch.

If you have long items to transport can you drive with the rear tailgate open like you can with a normal hatch? Seems like a lot of weight on the hinge.

I asked Suzuki (one vehicle I was considering is a Grand Vitara) but they just told me it's not safe to operate any vehicle in that manner. I've probably done it in every vehicle I've owned and several of my parents' vehicles as well so I don't buy that answer. A bunch of the older CRV, Rav4, and Land Rover models are like this, too.

Thanks!
It's fine

If they have glass that opens (which seems to be way more common than I'd expect), I try to have the door closed and pass the long items through the open window.

I know VW advertises that on the door hinges you can open the door all the way and hang and bounce on the end of the door with no ill effects. If you were worried about hinge strength, something like this test will give you comfort. If you pull on the door and it feels squishy, it's probably not a good vehicle to drive with the door open for long distances.

As for the official manufacturer response, on any SUV shaped vehicle, I suspect having the rear door open in a roll over would result in the cabin racking and crushing the occupants.

And no, not many newer models have this set up. But I only buy manuals which means I gotta look at older models for the most part.

I hope I'm reading this right. You want long stuff hanging out the back? Rear enders are not a concern?

I hope I'm reading this right. You want long stuff hanging out the back? Rear enders are not a concern?
Yes I want to hang long stuff out the back. No I'm not concerned with someone hitting it. That's what bright markers are for.

If they have glass that opens (which seems to be way more common than I'd expect), I try to have the door closed and pass the long items through the open window.
Good option for skinnier items. I've mostly had to do this when moving furniture.
I know VW advertises that on the door hinges you can open the door all the way and hang and bounce on the end of the door with no ill effects. If you were worried about hinge strength, something like this test will give you comfort. If you pull on the door and it feels squishy, it's probably not a good vehicle to drive with the door open for long distances.
Never liked that advertising as the only vehicle I've actually had door hinge problems with was a Jetta.

Thanks!
I can help. Search for M I N I V A N

Example:
7TGVeue.jpg

Yes I want to hang long stuff out the back. No I'm not concerned with someone hitting it. That's what bright markers are for.

Oh that's right, the bright markers.

Bisimoto Odyssey :)

You're welcome.

Turbocharged V-6 with 1,029 HP (E85)
601 HP on gasoline
6-speed manual transmission
I think even that one is still FWD. Can't find the price, either, lol.

Its a three part problem
1. nothing is supposed to be more than 24" projecting past the rear bumper, even with the bright markers, you need bright people following you that wont hit the product because"they didnt see it" , happens all the time.
2. Lots of vehicle side gates regardless of a gorilla swinging on it will sag given enough dynamic loads and time

3. biggest concern and the reason manufactures say do not drive with the rear gate open, the wind creates a vortex at the back of the vehicle (thats why minivans are always getting dusty back windows) and the exhaust gets sucked into the rear of the vehicle and you gas yourself, or the kids. You can smell it while driving.

Its a three part problem
1. nothing is supposed to be more than 24" projecting past the rear bumper, even with the bright markers, you need bright people following you that wont hit the product because"they didnt see it" , happens all the time.
2. Lots of vehicle side gates regardless of a gorilla swinging on it will sag given enough dynamic loads and time

3. biggest concern and the reason manufactures say do not drive with the rear gate open, the wind creates a vortex at the back of the vehicle (thats why minivans are always getting dusty back windows) and the exhaust gets sucked into the rear of the vehicle and you gas yourself, or the kids. You can smell it while driving.
Thanks for the helpful answer. 24" is fine with me and I'm already familiar with the issue of fumes. The durability of the hinge is what I was concerned about so I'm gonna go ahead and just look for something with a normal hatch or accept that I won't be using it with the rear door open.

I think even that one is still FWD. Can't find the price, either, lol.

Yes it is FWD. It was up for auction at the end of August 2016, but I can't find what it sold for.

Thanks for the helpful answer. 24" is fine with me and I'm already familiar with the issue of fumes. The durability of the hinge is what I was concerned about so I'm gonna go ahead and just look for something with a normal hatch or accept that I won't be using it with the rear door open.

Just get a trailer for the big stuff. It's so much easier.

Just buy an automatic lol who gives a damn. You're looking for a utility vehicle. Manual trans pointless.

If you really need AWD and a manual then just get a Vanagon Syncro and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom