Flashing LED Light on Front - taken from the cyclists safety book. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Flashing LED Light on Front - taken from the cyclists safety book.

pretty sure any flashing light is illegal on a vehicle. I wanted to get this light setup for my GSA but found out I could be ticketed for it, again not legal:
[video=youtube;zjf0ytJ-T7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjf0ytJ-T7s[/video]

Wow those are waaay too bright.

Regarding legality, here's my view on the kind of flashing light I have as posted at the beginning: Cops have seen or heard of the carnage that can happen because the car didn't see the bike. I doubt very much any of them will give a damn about a small strobe light on the front of your motorcycle. In fact, I'd bet some may even say to themselves "Hey, that's a great idea!".

We all break the law whenever we go over the speed limit by 1 km/h ... this is one of those cases where I think it's of little importance to the cops yet provides immense value to us as bikers.

Hopefully, you're aiming these things down at the ground.

What we need a device that makes a tremendous noise, but no damage, when whacked on the back of a helmet.

Too many cyclists in my area, are riding at night, with the new LED lights, and focusing them far down the road into oncoming driver's eyes.

Nah, wouldn't work, bad idea, forget it. You can't whack sense into people. Probably can't even use a mirror to shine it back and give them a taste.

What we need a device that makes a tremendous noise, but no damage, when whacked on the back of a helmet.

Too many cyclists in my area, are riding at night, with the new LED lights, and focusing them far down the road into oncoming driver's eyes.

Nah, wouldn't work, bad idea, forget it. You can't whack sense into people. Probably can't even use a mirror to shine it back and give them a taste.
The problem is those lights aren't designed with a cutoff above a certain angle to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. For cars, that's a legal requirement. But bike lights shine as brightly towards the sky as towards the ground because lighting manufacturers are negligent. It will stay that way until there's another new law in the books to make them take responsibility for public safety.

I saw a harley(? batwing style front end) going north on the 400 with a headlight that looked like welding flash at more than 1 km. It was noticeable all right, but he deserves a punch in the head. It was miles worse than any other POS headlight swap I have ever seen.

I saw a harley(? batwing style front end) going north on the 400 with a headlight that looked like welding flash at more than 1 km. It was noticeable all right, but he deserves a punch in the head. It was miles worse than any other POS headlight swap I have ever seen.

I just had someone pull in behind me about 15 minutes ago. I can still see spots. Got a plate number as he passed, all dressed up in Hi Vis Gear. Turn signals were flashing extra fast (LEDs?).
May call his number in and see if someone can have a chat with him about motorcycle safety.

Just like with exhaust pipes, there's a threshold where it's just too much.

Well, isn't that a knee to the nuts. I take it that the use of daytime running lights have had no effect on accident stats. People used to argue that cell phone use had no effect on driving ability or if it did you shouldn't be on the road in the first place. Strange goings on.

It could easily be argued that daytime running lights have had a negative effect on motorcycle safety. It used to be that only bikes had their lights on all the time. With the advent of DRL bikes are now lost in the background.

I would say that gear and lighting choices do, in fact, have a positive effect on motorcycle safety. Saying that riders still get hit while wearing HiViz and having auxiliary lighting is like saying kids still get measles if they have a vaccine. Nothing is 100%, but the odds are much skewed in your favour.

What has a negative effect is stripping off the stock reflectors and switching to tiny LED lighting, which many riders seem to do.

Back
Top Bottom