To replace my patched tire or no? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

To replace my patched tire or no?

If only there was a Youtube video that explains how to properly patch a tire or what is the difference in types of patches.
Maybe someone can make a video to fill this void in the Matrix.
Or maybe a motorcycle forum where people can ask for help.... Oh wait...

Looking forward to seeing more of your helpful replies D. ?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

You repaired the tire last season you said? If it hasn't failed yet I doubt it will. I'd ride it but if it's always going to be in the back of your mind then it's probably worth replacing. I'd ride it but if it was a front tire that was repaired I'd replace it just because that's what I would need for piece of mind lol.

If your front is relatively new I'd replace the rear with a matching tire for now and when both are wore out look at other options. For the uses described in your video I doubt a Q3 is the tire you really need anyways.

Or maybe a motorcycle forum where people can ask for help.... Oh wait...

Looking forward to seeing more of your helpful replies D. ��

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Perhaps the motorcycle forum can post stickys of common bike repair issues, post videos also as my post suggested there may be a gap in the knowledge base and perhaps someone could make or post a video to augment the content.

Last edited:
There are 3 common ways to fix a motorcycle tire puncture:

1. Automobile style rope plug. View attachment 38723 This is a rubberized cord that is inserted into the tire from the outside to plug the hole. The reason it is not recommended is there is a possibility of the rope plug pulling out under the extreme loads on an motorcycle tire and causing a rapid pressure loss.

2. The internal patch.View attachment 38724 The tire is removed and an internal patch is vulcanized (glued) to the inside of the tire over the leak. Forming a permanent repair. This is the only repair that tire manufacturers recommend. Why nobody does it is because of cost since the tire has to be removed and re-mounted to do it. (Why riders will cheap out on the 2 things that keep us on the road safe, brakes and tires, I will never understand)

3. The mushroom style plug available as the Stop And Go tire repair kit https://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/.View attachment 38725 A rubber plug with a mushroom shaped head. The mushroom head is inserted into the hole and pops into the inside of the tire while the stem seals the hole. Much better than the rope style plug since the mushroom head will not pull out of the tire.

@taximan62 correct me if I am wrong, but if using the patch method, couldn't that be combined with the nushroom plug? Or is that overkill?
Mind you, I would just replace the one tire.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

...If it hasn't failed yet I doubt it will....

That is so wrong. An improperly repaired tire can fail any time. For example, water can get in and corrode the steel belt.
A proper repair is drilling the hole to remove fractures, plugging and patching from the inside, have to buff the patch contact area, use proper glue for the patch, inner liner sealer. Lots of steps to follow.

Separate plug and patch is better than a combo (mushroom) because it allows to repair angled, not just 90 degree punctures.

Last edited:
The patch I am referring to has a plug that pulls through the hole and vulcanizes to the inside View attachment 38727

I'm just wondering if the people asking you to spend money without need actually have ever dealt with a patched tire.

Drive the thing til it wears out.
String patches vulcanize - loads of distance riders have run patched tires ( some with multiple patches ) til they hit the wear bars.

Dealers etc want you to buy a new tire or get them to "patch it properly"
All money in their pocket.

You are fine .....move on.

No problems with a patched rear tire. Mushroom is best, but rope plug works too. I've only ever used the rope plugs and even had a couple in one rear tire once. Lasted to the end of the tire life/tread. At worse if the plug pulls out it will leak as slow as the hole. You aren't going to have a massive instant loss of air. You will feel it going down, not like a blowout.

Thanks @taximan62

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

That is so wrong. An improperly repaired tire can fail any time. For example, water can get in and corrode the steel belt.
A proper repair is drilling the hole to remove fractures, plugging and patching from the inside, have to buff the patch contact area, use proper glue for the patch, inner liner sealer. Lots of steps to follow.

Separate plug and patch is better than a combo (mushroom) because it allows to repair angled, not just 90 degree punctures.

Any tire can fail anytime. I have a tough time believing a rear tire on a Ducati used for commuting is going to last anywhere near long enough for moisture to make its way in and corrode the belts.

Any tire can fail anytime. I have a tough time believing a rear tire on a Ducati used for commuting is going to last anywhere near long enough for moisture to make its way in and corrode the belts.

Anything can happen any time. However, increasing the probability of failure knowingly is not wise.

You may have a hard time believing it but it does happen. Plus that was just an example.

I'm not pulling this out of my behind. I've been in tire business for many years. I've seen what happens with poor repairs.

"Dealers etc want you to buy a new tire or get them to "patch it properly"
All money in their pocket."

Shops generally won't perform this type of repair because of liability.
If you DIY and it goes wrong that's tough, if they do it and something bad happens - well, you can figure it out.

Just ride with it if its the patch plug from the inside and done properly. I would not use the ropr plug, thats too sketchy for me. You could always get a new one and have that as a spare too. Or sell it buyers beware.

a patch from the inside is the only acceptable fix on a tire as far as I'm concerned. The only reason to use a rope plug is if I'm stranded on the side of the road, and i'd only leave it in until I can get to a shop that can replace it with a patch

I used to think that a tire with a nail in it needed to be replaced, and did so. Then my new tire got a nail in less than a week later.

Suddenly plugs started making $ense. I've take plugged tires down to the steel, no loss of air.

With all that said.... Q3 or Pirelli Diablo Rosso III?
This is not a track bike for me, a fun spirited rider that takes his bike to work sometimes

Anything built by man can be fixed by man. Not sure about Vulcans.

Back
Top Bottom