To replace my patched tire or no? | GTAMotorcycle.com

To replace my patched tire or no?

Canadian Rider

Hey ladies,

I am in a little dilemma, I got a small nail in my tire which I had to patch up and am not 100% percent sure if I can still ride with it or not, I am getting 2 different answers from people all the time on this. I heard because the patch is centrally located it will be fine, some say replace the tire asap.

Again, I don't want to waste money on new tires if I don't have too ($500 installed for the pair for Q3s) , but if it causes any safety risk I will.
Thoughts? Also, I assume because I change the back, regardless I need to change the front tire for even wear etc between the 2?

Thanks guys
[video=youtube;Ht1u0AlOJJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht1u0AlOJJU[/video]

I would answer but I feel like you're just going to use it as content on your channel

Reactions: J_F
So you did not take the tire off and have a patch put on the inside? You put a tire plug/rope in to fill the hole correct. Big difference. Probably fine but nothing is certain.

So you did not take the tire off and have a patch put on the inside? You put a tire plug/rope in to fill the hole correct. Big difference. Probably fine but nothing is certain.

I did NOT take the tire off. I simply used those patch kits from Canadian tire, cleaned the hole, used the glue and properly installed the patch with the rope. What is the big difference between the 2 methods?

I shudder that you actually had to ask the difference.

One is patched from the inside properly and one is a plug.

I'd replace it.

It's like patching my nephews jeans at the knees. I could iron on a patch or I can sew in a proper patch from the inside of the pants.

Last edited:
If you have been getting two different answers from people before, what makes you think this will be any different lol? If the patch is right in the middle there isn't as much flex on it as it would be on the sidewall however there is more to deciding than that. Also the rear tire obviously has more force on acceleration than the front does.

Where are you buying Q3 for $500? You are getting ripped off. If you change one tire, you don't HAVE to change the other one. The front and rear wear at different rates. I personally have gotten punctures and change it, for the couple bucks to change the tire which is the only thing keeping me from being on my head, I'll pay up.

I remember one of my Busa's ended up with 3 mushroom plugs in the rear. It was a Shinko. Even after the 1st plug, I ran it at 260 - 270kph. I did the same after the 2nd and the third.
The tire saw burnouts on a weekly basis. 1/4M runs at Cayuga constantly. This is not b.s.
The tire wore out and never lost air / nor felt funky / and it didn't explode.
I bought the mushroom plugs at Princess Auto, and did them myself. (clean and scuff with sandpaper on the inside carcass where the plug goes).
I used them countless times, on other bikes too. Never had an issue (until the next nail).

If you have been getting two different answers from people before, what makes you think this will be any different lol? If the patch is right in the middle there isn't as much flex on it as it would be on the sidewall however there is more to deciding than that. Also the rear tire obviously has more force on acceleration than the front does.

Where are you buying Q3 for $500? You are getting ripped off. If you change one tire, you don't HAVE to change the other one. The front and rear wear at different rates. I personally have gotten punctures and change it, for the couple bucks to change the tire which is the only thing keeping me from being on my head, I'll pay up.

After taxes and install $500 is a rip off? both front and back? What price would you say is good and from where?
Looks like I will replace the tires then, now I am more scared haha thanks guys

As others have said, if you did an internal patch (mushroom patch) it would probably be fine, especially for around town. Just plugging it from the outside, I wouldn't want to be goosing it as much. L

After taxes and install $500 is a rip off? both front and back? What price would you say is good and from where?
Looks like I will replace the tires then, now I am more scared haha thanks guys

Yes, massive rip off. Front/rear Dunlop Q3 should run you around $300 for the tires, less than $100 for install. You only blew one though, just replace the damaged one unless you're switching types (front/rear should match, ideally)

I've popped and plugged tires in the past and despite advice, even from shops, that the tire was fine, it was always on my mind. It was better to spend the money and replace the tire to remove any doubt that it'd be a problem.

Last edited:
If only there was a Youtube video that explains how to properly patch a tire or what is the difference in types of patches.
Maybe someone can make a video to fill this void in the Matrix.

is that your bike in the video?? becuase that tire doesn't look like a Q3.....

Hey ladies,

I am in a little dilemma, I got a small nail in my tire which I had to patch up and am not 100% percent sure if I can still ride with it or not, I am getting 2 different answers from people all the time on this. I heard because the patch is centrally located it will be fine, some say replace the tire asap.

Again, I don't want to waste money on new tires if I don't have too ($500 installed for the pair for Q3s) , but if it causes any safety risk I will.
Thoughts? Also, I assume because I change the back, regardless I need to change the front tire for even wear etc between the 2?

Thanks guys
[video=youtube;Ht1u0AlOJJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht1u0AlOJJU[/video]
Have fun before u dispose it.
Keep it on then do lots of burn out. Until it becomes garbage. Then install new rubber.
I dont recommend riding it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom