To replace my patched tire or no? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

To replace my patched tire or no?

Both are good, Rosso III will last slightly longer (confident, but not 100% sure, the new Q3+ now lasts longer as well). Really just comes down to pricepoint.

With all that said.... Q3 or Pirelli Diablo Rosso III?
This is not a track bike for me, a fun spirited rider that takes his bike to work sometimes

After taxes and install $500 is a rip off? both front and back? What price would you say is good and from where?
Looks like I will replace the tires then, now I am more scared haha thanks guys

Well if you intend to change the tires out, then may I suggest you do a heavy burn out before you change them out? That would put your mind at rest .

I ran a patched Q3 last year. Put 4 track days on it plus some street and no issues. I posted a pic of it in another thread both inside and out after dismounting the tire.

If the hole isn't gaping then I say get a proper patch done on the inside and forget about it. A blowout while riding is extremely unlikely. Most likely--if anything at all--you will notice slow drop in pressure which can happen even to a perfectly good tire with a bad seal. But in the end it's your decision.

I got a screw in my tire last year, reamed it out and cleaned it properly and installed a plug with dollar-store contact cement. Rode that tire to over 10,000km before I replaced it due to wear. I even messed up and pushed my first plug all the way through into the tire. I didn't baby it either, I put all 31hp (lol) of my bike into that tire and she never let me down. I would use a plug type anytime as long as the hole is the right size and you have a quality plug kit, but only on the meat of the tire. anything close to the edge and I wouldn't risk it.

With all that said.... Q3 or Pirelli Diablo Rosso III?
This is not a track bike for me, a fun spirited rider that takes his bike to work sometimes

Really liked the Q3 myself. Never got on with any pirelli front profile.. That said running RS10 FR with an S21 Rear currently.. So many variables, and a whole lot of personal preference when talking tire choice.

On the tire plug, if you can find someone to plug and patch, that'd be idea... but even with the simple plug, if your channel is representative of how you'll be riding, you'll be fine.

I searched this topic a few years ago when I had a puncture. As you say two there are 2 standard replies, but interestingly, the "replace it" are from people who never repaired a tire (because they wont). Those that say it is OK - most of them have actually done it. Don't recall anyone who repaired a tire report serious problems (including me).

What is the worst that happens: you get another flat. It's not like the tire will explode or something. BTW I always give my bike a quick inspection each morning, including pushing my thumbs into the tires, you get a feel for what they should feel like, leaks become apparent.

I searched this topic a few years ago when I had a puncture. As you say two there are 2 standard replies, but interestingly, the "replace it" are from people who never repaired a tire (because they wont). Those that say it is OK - most of them have actually done it. Don't recall anyone who repaired a tire report serious problems (including me).

What is the worst that happens: you get another flat. It's not like the tire will explode or something. BTW I always give my bike a quick inspection each morning, including pushing my thumbs into the tires, you get a feel for what they should feel like, leaks become apparent.

Maybe it's just survivor bias.

Top tip: if a tire ejects a plug, it doesn't matter what the pressure was that morning. You will lose pressure very quickly and completely. The size of the orifice is the only thing that slows it down, but that doesn't give you a lot of time to figure out what's happening. I have not heard any first hand accounts of this happening. I *have* had a tire eject something that had both punctured the tire and temporarily plugged the hole it created. Mushroom plugs are not ejectable.

Last edited:
All those results seem to be a type of plug that you insert from the outside of the tire, like a string. I forgot those existed... I'm talking about the kind of patch you have to dismount the tire to install. And like I said, I have not personally heard any accounts of rope plugs failing (though I do remember the frightening vibration from a specific use of them on a car). I still use rope plugs on cars, and so far I have been able to find mechanics willing to install mushroom patches when I needed them.

A patch plug is the way to go and unless you pull tire yourself it's more expensive to install than just a plug or worm.

The thing with tires is the cost per 1000km. You're referencing the full cost of 2 replacement tires and this is only relevant if you've patched a brand new tire and are considering replacing it, and of course you'd only replace the rear, not the new front tire. My tires, from Pete's and brought to Rosey Toes to be mounted and balanced are about $425 in round numbers and @ about 10,000km a set the cost is $42.5/1000km. Let's assume your cost is $50/1000km. So if you feel the tires have another 2,000 or 3,000km on them the real cost of the keep or change decision is $100 or max $150 in "lost" use, not the full cost of a brand new set.

Your tires look fairly worn, so if you're concerned about this at all then just change them out and ride with confidence. Riding safe in the GTA is challenging enough without having to worry that a tire will experience a sudden deflation on the 401 or 403......... If you're not concerned about this you would not have asked for people's opinions.

Back
Top Bottom