What are your upgrades to your bike for this season? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are your upgrades to your bike for this season?

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
Last year I installed the Ram mount for the cell phone, USB charger, and changed the chain, sprockets, rear brakes and a rectifier recall.

This season I am finally going to fix the biggest flaw I see in my bike. I am joining the aftermarket seat club!

Much nicer construction and fit and finish than the crappy OEM seat.

So far it has made the commute more comfy. I also have two communicators now. One for each helmet for when my wife rides with me. My buddy with the Vstrom also has the same communicator so it is nice to be able to actually chat while we are riding instead of trying to decipher his hand signals!

I also have some flush mount front signals which I might try for fun. Other than that I think that will be it for this year. I have thought about trying an aftermarket exhaust to get a more noticeable exhaust note (right now the bike is very, very quiet). On the other hand it is nice to get home from work around midnight and not have to worry about waking up or annoying my neighbors. Time to do some research on the Bandit forums to see which exhausts add a bit more power and noise but not something which will be obnoxious.

What are your plans/upgrades for your bike this season?

Functional hands :D
Getting carpal tunnel surgery on both in May ......should show much smoother throttle control amongst other benefits. ;)

At 120k on the bike now, I think it's time for a rebuilt shock or a new one. I was also going to try out a steering damper to see what it would feel like on gravel and our bumpy roads up north.

Installed new PUIG windscreen and new tires fresh for the season. Big difference on both upgrades.

While waiting for the riding season, I added a few:

1. Ohlins rear shock. Huge difference as the stock shock was crap and had adjustable preload only. The Ohlins also has adjustable rebound dampening. No more feeling like being thrown from the bike when hitting a pothole. No more need to replace the seat. Much stiffer, yet more comfortable and definitely more planted.

2. Termignoni Race slip-on and ECU fueling upmap. Transformed the sound of the bike, reduced weight by about ten pounds and added a small power boost. Sounds like a mean, old school, air-cooled Ducati. Like the Terminator bikes in Terminator:Salvation. Currently using without db killer. I don't necessarily believe in the 'loud pipes saves lives' thing, but I do notice cars giving me more space in traffic. Would probably use the db killer on long trips, as it does get a bit wearisome after a couple of hours.

3. Touring/off-road cnc footpegs. Much better grip, especially in the wet.

3. Rizoma bar ends and Reverse retro mirrors. To be honest, the stock mirrors worked quite well, but would sometimes get in my face when leaning into a curve. These new mirrors are small and not convex, they do the job, but there is some loss of functionality/visibility. I may try a different set in the future.

4. Billet aluminum cosmetic upgrades: headlight and gauge trim, brake reservoir cap.

5. Free cosmetic upgrades : Removed US spec front signal spacers. Relocated stickers to frame under seat (out of view).

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Daytona will get an an oem gel seat as the stock one is brutal to sit on after about 30min.

Track bike got a new paint job and decals.
Went from blue and white, to highlighter yellow with black decals!

Just had new Michelin Commander 2 tires mounted yesterday. Did all other changes over winter, I don't like my bike to be out of commission during riding season.

I will be getting a Vance & Hines fuelpak3 sometime in the next few weeks, but that's plug'n'play.

Picked up some Barkbusters last month to help cut the cold wind for the early spring and late fall commutes. Aside from replacing the old Battlax S20's with a pair of T30 EVO's I might pick up a windshield since the naked bike life and commuting from Barrie to TO don't mix the greatest and call it a day until the winter.

I'd love to pick up some new levers and add some CF bling, but that will have to wait since a shed among many other home projects will eat into the mod budget.

Rebuilding the calipers and master cylinders with an official Suzuki rebuild kit. Then, replace the rear brake rotor and true one of the fronts as best I can (OEM, aftermarket and used no longer available). Possibly swap out the progressive springs on the rear shocks for something better, if I have a few free dollars left.

street bike didn't get a whole lot of loving, new Austin Racing Exhaust and Pazzo levers over the winter, will prob need a fresh set of tires soon

I got a new turn signal to replace the one that my kid broke.

Haven't put it on yet, the good times to do that are also good riding times.

Commander II tires to replace the Dunlop E3's. E3's had too-soft a sidewall for a bike this heavy. CII's feel much better.

Replaced cheap brake/shifter bushings for brass ones to tighten up levers.

Iridium plugs and new wires. No performance improvement obviously but I won't have to touch them for a while and the red wires look pretty.

The KX250f got a suspension revalve and complete engine rebuild. Pretty excited to try out the suspension for the first time. First race of the year is this Sunday and I haven't rode mx this year yet so that should be interesting. Other then that going to grab a bunch of spare levers, tires/tubes etc for the season. Will probably throw a holeshot device on it as well.

KTM 450 exc is getting an LED headlight to replace the joke of a light that's on there now, some new mirrors, probably a slip on and some other bling. Thinking about getting the suspension revalved/set up for supermoto BUT still on the fence as I might want to use the bike for some enduro's later on this year. Anyone got a spare set of suspension from a 08-2011 KTM for sale?

isnt there some sort of injections you can get?
nah
it's minor surgery in the office ....should have done it long ago.

•••

Ordered some Grip Buddies for the Wee - left mine on the KLR...they sure work....helped my hands a lot in Australia.

When the KLR 650 single feels okay on distance you gotta know they work

Also ordered a Go Cruise for the Wee...got used to it in Aus.

Last edited:
Fresh spark plugs & 20W50 oil to try and contain the massive consumption rate. Sparing no expense.

MAA3oWobZycms.gif

The most noteworthy change for this season is to run proper 50/50 dual sport tires called big blocks. Have already experienced tangible benefits and giggles.

Last edited:
Over the winter I added a rear rack with topcase and also a pelican case so I can switch, wide offroad pegs, a gps and picked up a new rear 805 tire. Also checked valves, cleaned and synced throttle bodies, plugs, fresh oil, coolant and brake fluid as well as new pads and caliper service, and a new air filter. Also cleaned the whole thing while I had it stripped down. I love having a garage finally.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Over the winter I threw on a set of Acerbis Rally Pro handguards as well as front and rear R&G axle sliders.

Looking to buy a Seat Concepts seat and a Two Bro's Carbon slip-on for this summer. I'd also like to up the amount of teeth on the rear sprocket but 5 or so, so I'll probably need a new chain too. The wallet isn't looking forward to it, but I am.

And if I get bored, I'll put on the gold SS brake lines I bought last year and never got around to installing.

Last edited:
For this year I'm hoping to toss an EJK fuel manager on to smooth out the stutter mid-throttle, and if I can sweet talk the budget-lady in the house I'd like to put on a set of RideBikeGear RS top-load quick-release hard bags too.

Back
Top Bottom