Questions for GTA Aprilia Owners | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Questions for GTA Aprilia Owners

For me it comes down to I can only afford 1 street bike.
I like to rack up the mileage. And that's a risky affair with a Aprilia, at least in my experience. Couple that with the maintenance nightmare. Whether it's you swearing at the bike or a hired gun. Who may not even be doing the maintenance properly. Example, "we only check the clearances on the rear head. If they are in the front is good". What non-sense. The reason they don't want to check the front is because it's a PIA. And these bikes seems to show a history of the valves being out from the factory. Long story short I cannot recommend this bike if it's your only street bike. Especially here where the season is short.
The bikes character is always compelling. I used to be willing to put up with the "Italianess" of this bike.

That's a valid point, especially if your bike is the main method of transportation. I ride for pleasure and I'd much prefer riding something that I really enjoy than something else just because it might be more reliable.
I went to Feb show specifically to look at new "naked"s. To me, the only other bike that comes remotely close to Tuono is SD 1290, but it's more expensive and apparently has a lot of issues (that's why KTM delays SD release in NA). Also my insurance is almost x2 on SD than Tuono. Still don't know why...
And all these Kawi, Yami, etc... They are all from a different league compared to Aprilia and KTM.
My suggestion is - buy a bike that you'll enjoy! Isn't that why we are riding in the first place? For transportation - there are cars :)

That's a valid point, especially if your bike is the main method of transportation. I ride for pleasure and I'd much prefer riding something that I really enjoy than something else just because it might be more reliable.
I went to Feb show specifically to look at new "naked"s. To me, the only other bike that comes remotely close to Tuono is SD 1290, but it's more expensive and apparently has a lot of issues (that's why KTM delays SD release in NA). Also my insurance is almost x2 on SD than Tuono. Still don't know why...
And all these Kawi, Yami, etc... They are all from a different league compared to Aprilia and KTM.
My suggestion is - buy a bike that you'll enjoy! Isn't that why we are riding in the first place? For transportation - there are cars :)

I don't commute on my bike. I also only ride for pleasure.
I have other bikes to ride. But only 1 street legal bike.
I've used the Tuono for long multi-day or even multi-week rides. It's great when when everything is running as it should, even if I have to stop every 140km to visit a gas pump. I don't mind. When I can't use my bike or it leaves me stranded... who's having fun then? Where's the joy now?
It's a tough decision, to figure out what balance will work for you. After having bought the bike and lived with it for a few years I have changed my opinion. I would not own this bike as a only bike.

I don't commute on my bike. I also only ride for pleasure.
I have other bikes to ride. But only 1 street legal bike.
I've used the Tuono for long multi-day or even multi-week rides. It's great when when everything is running as it should, even if I have to stop every 140km to visit a gas pump. I don't mind. When I can't use my bike or it leaves me stranded... who's having fun then? Where's the joy now?
It's a tough decision, to figure out what balance will work for you. After having bought the bike and lived with it for a few years I have changed my opinion. I would not own this bike as a only bike.

For the last 3 years I used the Tuono on multi-day trips through the states and never once left me stranded. The Fuel is an issue though, I always have to stop twice as often as everybody else in the group.

For the last 3 years I used the Tuono on multi-day trips through the states and never once left me stranded. The Fuel is an issue though, I always have to stop twice as often as everybody else in the group.

I wish I had the same experience.
I've had the hot start interrupt me for an hour or so. But was able to continue. Had a stator blow locally.
Also had the bike drop oil pressure far far away from home. Cost a nice bit of coin to get it home.
From my research I cannot say that Aprilia is on the same level as the Japanese as far as reliability is concerned.
Just my opinion.
They have some work to do.

From my research I cannot say that Aprilia is on the same level as the Japanese as far as reliability is concerned.

And there is a reason for it. Aprilia, like many other European bikes utilize the latest cutting edge technologies​, while Japanese bikes mostly use outdated, but well tested technologies. More complex machine has more chances to break, but it provides you with more features. The question is would you prefer new techs vs reliability or visa versa.
But with today's complexity of the bikes, they all have chances to break. And for me the more important thing is how fast it gets fixed. I had several issues with Tuono during first year and it never took Corsa more than a few days to fix the bike. BTW, the next 3 years I owned the bike, it didn't have a single problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

not with the same amount of irrational lust... I'm not going to lie, the visual appeal of it is a factor. The reviews of the '17 are very favourable as well.

fair enough, it is a sexy bike

I was going to get one last year but ended up with the SD 1290 only because I got a really good deal on a demo, my lust was slightly more rational lol

And there is a reason for it. Aprilia, like many other European bikes utilize the latest cutting edge technologies​, while Japanese bikes mostly use outdated, but well tested technologies. More complex machine has more chances to break, but it provides you with more features. The question is would you prefer new techs vs reliability or visa versa.
But with today's complexity of the bikes, they all have chances to break. And for me the more important thing is how fast it gets fixed. I had several issues with Tuono during first year and it never took Corsa more than a few days to fix the bike. BTW, the next 3 years I owned the bike, it didn't have a single problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm glad you've had a great experience.
I've always been a sucker for the latest and unique machines. I'm willing to accept a bit of fuss to go with the territory. From my experience this machine is more fuss than reward.
It's like a Ferrari from the 90's where you gotta drop an engine to do anything. Aprilia pretty much took the same approach. Not cool.
Don't get me wrong I still like the bike. It's a beast. But there is room for improvement.
If your considering an Aprilia, it's just good to be informed on what may transpire and be prepared.
I think this bike makes sense if you have another toy.

The 1290 SD was my 2nd choice. It's really the only other bike out right now that tempts me.

30k on mine. Replaced stator over this winter as it was starting to burn Still charging but probably wouldn't have lasted the season. Common problem, and apparently fixed with an updated flywheel stator combo I installed. Guess I'll find out in another 25-30k :p I have also had a few small coolant 'weeps' I've fixed with new clamps. That said, bike has never let me down or stranded me.

Did also require shimming this winter on 3 valves and unfortunately labour wise, not all on the same bank. From what I've read needing clearance changes is not that uncommon so be prepared for that.

As for parts and service, I can only comment on parts as I do my own work. But yes, everything seems to need ordering and is usually 2-3 weeks in my experience. I usually order from Two Wheel, but when the exchange was better AF1 was great. On a parts positive, I've found them extremely reasonable price wise.

Edit: Forgot exhaust valve actuator failure at 8k. Replaced under warranty and no issue since so... mikuni part fwiw

Last edited:
Just under a year with my RSV4 RR and the battery had to be replaced, probably a bad winterization or a bad battery from the beginning.

Other than that, haven't had any other issues, albeit fairly recent bike.

As a side note, I'm glad I got this one and not the MV Agusta. This Aprilia bike facking rocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are all Tuono Aprilia bikes painted in the same fugly color scheme? Searching Google and Youtube it seems so. What a pity.

3.jpg

Anyone who thinks this bike -- a "Tuono Aprilia" Factory -- is "fugly" needs their eyes checked.

But FWIW, no, the Factory and RR versions have differing paint schemes.

3.jpg

Anyone who thinks this bike -- a "Tuono Aprilia" Factory -- is "fugly" needs their eyes checked.

But FWIW, no, the Factory and RR versions have differing paint schemes.

this is the exact bike i've been bouncing back and forth on. definitely not 'fugly' to me, but to each their own.

you have two tuonos? are they that different? the yellow is 2013, correct?

That's the way to do it. If you're waiting on parts, you can use the 2nd one in the meantime.

You guys have it good in Toronto.. you at least have more than one dealer. Here in Ottawa, there is only one.. and they only have the 2016 in stock thus must not sell many... thus may be clueless when it comes to servicing them. I'm not too keen on towing it to Montreal if something goes wrong with it since I have neither a trailer nor a hitch!

If it breaks down and I waste a month of the summer waiting for it to be fixed, I'll be really ******. Then again, that's what happened to a friend who's got a Triumph.

I guess that's the rational thinking part of my brain that's taking over. Still really tempted however..

Last edited:
you have two tuonos? are they that different? the yellow is 2013, correct?

The yellow one is a 2012 and yes, they are very different, the 1000CC is a blast to ride but noticeably slower than the 2017. Love riding both, all day saturday on the 2012 and Sunday on the 2017. When it comes to issues, the 2012 has been great. Only two issues, the stator, a known issue for that year that has since been resolved with a redesign and a coolant manifold that was supposed to be replaced under a recall but I decided up go with an upgraded aftermarket part. All work on the bike, including valves, done by Adrian at AceMoto in Milton.

the Tuonos are be best bikes I have ever ridden.
11440461806_ea7617b70d_o.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like a relatively high maintenance and costly bike to keep on the road and a limited dealer network as well. Potential buyers need to ask themselves if bike looks and performance outweigh these negatives. If so, then buy it and pay the premium.

Back
Top Bottom