2017 Mopar CSBK Competitor Update | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 Mopar CSBK Competitor Update

KneeDragger_#16

2017 Mopar CSBK Competitor Update

This one stuck out the most to me...
10. DOUBLEHEADER SUNDAY RACE GRIDS based on Previous RACE RESULTS (race day one)

In situations where there are Double Header races on Saturday and Sunday at the same weekend’s event, at A.M.P. and at C.T.M.P., the grid for the “second” Sunday race will now be based on the finishing order of the Saturday, opening National race. An award will be presented to the pole sitter for the Pro Superbike class, but no purse will be added for the Q/Race results. No series qualifying result points will be awarded for the second race of the weekend in each class.

And if any of you would like, I can make safety rear rain light:

As discussed during Competitor Meetings during 2016 Mopar CSBK National events, rear warning lights are required in 2017, with rules matched to the FIM standards for 2017 World Superbike and Supersport (John Bickle will have approved lights available at each venue):

All motorcycles must have a functioning compact red light mounted at the rear of the machine. This Rear Safety Light must be switched on any time the motorcycle is on the track or ridden in the Pit Lane and the session is declared Open or Wet. All Rear Safety Lights must comply with the following:

a. Lighting direction must be parallel to the machine centre line (motorcycle running direction) and be clearly visible from the rear at least 15 degrees to both left and right sides of the machine’s centre line.

b. The Rear Safety Light must be mounted near the end of the seat/rear bodywork and be approximately on the machine’s centre line, in a position approval at Technical Inspection. In case of dispute regarding the mounting position, the decision of the Technical staff will be final.

c. Power output/luminosity equivalent should be approx. 10 -15 (incandescent), 0.6 – 1.8 W (LED).

d. The output must be continuous – no flashing Rear Safety Light permitted when on track, flashing is permitted in the Pit Lane when pit limiter is active.

e. Rear Safety Light power supply may be separated from the motorcycle (battery operated acceptable).

f. The Technical Inspection staff has the right to refuse any Rear Safety Light system not satisfying this safety purpose.

Hmmmm. Interesting Sunday grid procedure.

BSB uses Saturday race's fastest laps to determine Sunday grids. I think that's a little better.

DNFs will hurt!!

What's it matter when you only have 20 bikes on the grid ? :(

In Amateur its well over 20 in either Sportbike or Superbike
In Pro, last year at Mosport, quite a big grid :)... just the other rounds that seem to always suffer from participantes ! :(

I wouldn't want to accidentally take someone out on Sat. Now they have to start from the back on Sunday as well .

AM grids are usually 30+

Pro Grids are ruthless. Even having to pass 1-2 extra riders can have a big impact on the outcome of a race.

[QUOTE=KneeDragger_#16

As discussed during Competitor Meetings during 2016 Mopar CSBK National events, rear warning lights are required in 2017, with rules matched to the FIM standards for 2017 World Superbike and Supersport (John Bickle will have approved lights available at each venue):

e. Rear Safety Light power supply may be separated from the motorcycle (battery operated acceptable).

Does the rain light require a mounted on/off switch accessible to the rider?

Ya it's easy to start from last and get a top 5 especially racing against the fastest guys in Canada. Come and give it a try.

Actually,, if they follow the FIM spec it will be a little harder then any light. I sourced about $500 worth of lights from around the world and they didn't meet the specs.Lots of bicycle lights.[anybody need a bicycle light?] So if they enforce the 15 degree rule and the luminosity it will take some ingenuity.
The light does not have to have a switch but does have to be on when it is a wet race on the track and in pit lane. So if you can find the light I got,, it is just over the required luminosity. The light was built on request of the FIM so it is bang on all the rules. Have fun!

Ya it's easy to start from last and get a top 5 especially racing against the fastest guys in Canada. Come and give it a try.

I did, but it was back in the late 70s through the mid 80s when you'd have 3 heat races and a last chance qualifier to get a Lightweight Production grid down to 35 riders. I was also involved with CSBK for 4 years and watched it dwindle to where it is today so I left.
Look at MotoAmerica - same problems. There were 36 bikes in total at COTA last weekend.
The cost of doing business is ridiculous - to run at the front on 600 or Superbike you're facing a tire bill per weekend that takes a very deep wallet to play.
Don't try to convince me that this is a better way, because it isn't.
Regional racing and VRRA still have good turnouts (racers and spectators)- what do they know that others don't ?
Don't try to teach your father how to fornicate dricked, it don't wash...

How do you even compare the 80's to now? I bought a brand new RD 350LC for $1500,, put a new set of tires on every year whether I needed them or not. You could practice every Friday at Sanair for $50 for the year. I never had to take a school to get a license,, just showed up. The lower costs made it easy. And for the most part the VRRA is still in that era. The bikes are cheaper [then new] and tires are seldom changed like modern bikes [but some do as they are getting on it]and the series is all volunteer based.That fact is a huge plus.
Regional racing has zero spectators other then family and immediate friends. Mosport had the biggest crowd in years last year.
CSBK has got Dunlop involved and the tire bills have come way down. In fact a mid pack amateur can do a weekend on one set of tires if he manages his scrubs right. The scrubs are easier to re-sale. Is it more then in 1980,, for sure. But so is sky diving or down hill skiing.
I have not missed a year since 1980 or 79 and we have had some slumps. But I would say it is the best it has been in years. And both the 80's and the 2017's have great riders with some really great equipment and good on you boys and girls for doing what you do! This is going to be the best year in a long time. And Dricked has my respect as do all of them. Times,, they are a changing!

But he's old, John. Don't argue with old people.

VRRA is perfect.

No one is interested in watching the fastest riders on the fastest bikes. They want old guys on old busted ****.

"But he's old, John. Don't argue with old people."
-Get off my lawn ! :p

"VRRA is perfect."
-No its not by a long stretch, they have their own bag of problems BUT they're getting better rider turnouts than CSBK ?

"No one is interested in watching the fastest riders on the fastest bikes. They want old guys on old busted ****."
- If they're the fastest riders on the fastest bikes then how come guys like McCormick can't find a ride, and no one else has mounted a serious challenge to Szoke in years ?
I fear its come down to 'who's got the deepest wallet' ?
How many racers are earning a living in Canada - one maybe ?
There used to be guys like Picotte, Crevier, the DuHamels (for example) who made good money and moved on up the ladder.

Please don't misunderstand - people like John Bickle, the Rider Safety Fund, Pro6 and others have made many aspects of roadracing safer AND better BUT there are not the depths of field and it would be a lot harder for a young, talented rider to get started. I think that's why you see a lot of folks heading to flat track or motocross as a 'hobby sport'.
As John says, there have been a lot of ups and downs over the years, I wish you all a safe and successful season.

the days of making a living are gone from this sport, hell i made good muhla from regional racing and mid pack nationals back in late 90's early 2000. everybody paid back then.

I did, but it was back in the late 70s through the mid 80s when you'd have 3 heat races and a last chance qualifier to get a Lightweight Production grid down to 35 riders. I was also involved with CSBK for 4 years and watched it dwindle to where it is today so I left.
Look at MotoAmerica - same problems. There were 36 bikes in total at COTA last weekend.
The cost of doing business is ridiculous - to run at the front on 600 or Superbike you're facing a tire bill per weekend that takes a very deep wallet to play.
Don't try to convince me that this is a better way, because it isn't.
Regional racing and VRRA still have good turnouts (racers and spectators)- what do they know that others don't ?
Don't try to teach your father how to fornicate dricked, it don't wash...

I'd love to not spend what I do to race in a weekend, even better I'd love to get paid for it but that isn't going to happen and I know it like everyone else. The other option is to not race at all and complain about how there's not enough people racing....? If everyone from the good ol days showed up we'd have big grids again but they aren't. Does that make it easy to place at the front? I guess it stops you from finishing 30th but make no mistake, the top 10 guys are fast and would finish well even if 60 people showed up.

How do you even compare the 80's to now? I bought a brand new RD 350LC for $1500,, put a new set of tires on every year whether I needed them or not. You could practice every Friday at Sanair for $50 for the year. I never had to take a school to get a license,, just showed up. The lower costs made it easy. And for the most part the VRRA is still in that era. The bikes are cheaper [then new] and tires are seldom changed like modern bikes [but some do as they are getting on it]and the series is all volunteer based.That fact is a huge plus.
Regional racing has zero spectators other then family and immediate friends. Mosport had the biggest crowd in years last year.
CSBK has got Dunlop involved and the tire bills have come way down. In fact a mid pack amateur can do a weekend on one set of tires if he manages his scrubs right. The scrubs are easier to re-sale. Is it more then in 1980,, for sure. But so is sky diving or down hill skiing.
I have not missed a year since 1980 or 79 and we have had some slumps. But I would say it is the best it has been in years. And both the 80's and the 2017's have great riders with some really great equipment and good on you boys and girls for doing what you do! This is going to be the best year in a long time. And Dricked has my respect as do all of them. Times,, they are a changing!

Thanks John!

Back
Top Bottom